Twenty Four

Apple Initials and Thumbprint Soulmates

Life was great for Seungkwan.

The stress of university entrance exams was over, it was a cheat day for his diet, and he had a boyfriend.

He had a boyfriend. His first ever boyfriend.

(And hopefully his only, because Hansol Vernon Chwe was his soulmate. Apparently, Seungkwan had been blessed by any and every higher being that existed. Especially Lady Luck.)

He still couldn't believe it. Sure, it'd only been less than a day, but Vernon was his, and he was Vernon's. (Even if he was still a little dubious of Vernon's feelings for him, but he trusted the soulmate bond to sort things out.)

It was ten thirty in the morning, and Seungkwan was sorting the clothes on his floor into a clean pile and a dirty pile. He could also hear Mingyu having a loud phone conversation with Wonwoo about universities. Why did Wonwoo have to be on loudspeaker?

Seungkwan thought back to the night before, it had been great. After Seungkwan asked Vernon to be his boyfriend they'd kissed a couple times, then Vernon had put on High School Musical 2. Nothing more than soft presses of the lips had happened, but Seungkwan was still ecstatic. Innocent lip contact was still lip contact.

Seungkwan put the last of his clothes into their respective piles, and sat down on his bed. After weeks of not talking to Vernon properly he really just wanted to be near him. Seungkwan resolved to spend the day with him, and grabbed his phone off his bedside table. After a quick look in the bathroom mirror and a wardrobe change, Seungkwan was ready.

The trek to Vernon's was long and cold. (Actually, Mrs Kim had dropped him off, but the walk from the car to Vernon's front door was freezing.) Seungkwan knocked and announced it was him before hearing someone call out for him to just come in. He entered the house, slipped off his shoes and his jacket, then headed to Vernon's room.

"Oh! Seungkwan!" Vernon smiled as soon as his door opened. He was at his desk, with his laptop open. "Miss me already?"

"Yes, I do. We've got ages to make up for." Seungkwan sat on Vernon's bed.

"We do, don't we? Where do you want to start?"

Seungkwan thought for a bit. Dates, kisses, hugs, what did he most want to do? How did he want to spend his time?

"We could hang out for a bit, watch a movie or something. What were you doing before I came in?" Seungkwan thought maybe they could do whatever Vernon had been doing together.

Vernon shrugged and rubbed the back of his neck. "Nothing really, just writing. Joshua and Junghan's other soulmate, Seungcheol - you know him - is a rapper. I've listened to hip hop for years and I thought, maybe - maybe I could write some raps?"

Vernon looked tense and shy as he talked. Seungkwan thought it was cute, how nervous he seemed to be.

"Really? Can I hear?" Seungkwan knew it was important to encourage Vernon's interests, and he also genuinely wanted to hear his lyrics.

"I haven't written anything good, yet. But, when I do you'll be the first person I let listen to them," Vernon promised.

Seungkwan smiled. "OK, as long as I get to be first. So, any ideas what to do?"

Vernon stood up from his chair and moved to his bed, sitting next to Seungkwan. "Not really. Well kind of - but can I get a kiss hello?" Vernon pointed to his lips.

Seungkwan rolled his eyes, but leaned in and pressed his lips against Vernon's. He wanted a hello kiss, too. When Seungkwan pulled away after half a second, Vernon pouted.

"I like kissing like that, but we can we do more?"

"You mean, like, with tongue?" Seungkwan asked. He was excited but apprehensive at the idea of French kissing Vernon. How were you supposed to move your tongue? What did you do with your teeth?

"No, I mean just, you know, move our lips? I dunno, I've only ever really kissed Chan."

Seungkwan leant toward Vernon again, and kissed him. He moved his lips, hoping he wasn't doing it all wrong. When Vernon didn't reciprocate, Seungkwan put his arms around Vernon's neck and played with the hair at his nape. That got the desired outcome, with Vernon kissing him back and moving his hands to Seungkwan's waist.

Seungkwan pulled away, a little flushed and breathless, a few seconds later, and pressed his forehead against Vernon's. "That's for talking about kissing Chan."

Vernon smirked, and started running his fingertips up and down Seungkwan's sides. "Maybe I should always talk about kissing Chan if that's the punishment."

Seungkwan let out a bitter chuckle. "If it becomes a habit, I'll stop kissing you," he threatened.

"Then I'd better not," Vernon chuckled.

There was a knock on the door, and the two boys moved slightly apart. "Come in," Vernon called out in English. Seungkwan was glad he half played attention in his English class, or he'd be completely lost around Vernon's house.

The door opened to reveal Joshua. "Mrs Chwe just wanted me to check on you two, make sure you weren't getting up to too much. Hormonal teenagers and all that."

Seungkwan nodded. He was glad Joshua made the effort to speak Korean around him most of the time.

"She also wants to know if she has to get Mr Chwe to have a talk with both of you, make sure you guys know how to use a and stuff."

Seungkwan felt himself turn red, and glanced to Vernon to see he, too, was the colour of a tomato.

"Um, no. We - we aren't even using tongue yet. I think anything more - is a while off," Vernon stuttered out.

Joshua was clearly trying not to laugh. "OK, if you say so. Have you and Seungkwn talked about it?"

"It hasn't come up, yet. We've only been boyfriends less than a day," Seungkwan spoke up. Vernon looked unable to finish his conversation, his mouth opening and closing like a goldfish.

Joshua shrugged. "Never too early to talk about this stuff, especially when you're pretty sure the relationship's going to be longterm," he told them sagely before backing out, closing the door as he left.

"Do you, uh... Want to, you know. Do ?"

Seungkwan burst out in laughter. He took a couple seconds to calm down, but found it difficult with the look on Vernon's face.

"Not right now! I mean one day. When we're older and finished school!" Vernon exclaimed, trying to save himself from embarrassment.

"Yes," Seungkwan answered when he'd calmed down, "I'd like very much to '/do /' with you someday. Not now, but someday."

Vernon looked the floor. "Normally you're the embarrassing one." He scuffed a foot against his carpet.

Seungkwan pecked Vernon's cheek. "It's ok. We can go back to normal. Just don't ask me to 'do '. Ever."

Vernon smiled. "I won't."

Seungkwan leaned back on on his elbows, which started sinking into Vernon's bed slightly. "Do you have High School Musical: Senior Year or Grease? We can sing along as we watch it like we did last night."

Vernon shook his head. "I have no idea where they are. Maybe in Sof's room - I'm not asking her."

Seungkwan let out a puff of air. "Fine. But, we're spending the day together."

Vernon agreed, and leant in to kiss Seungkwan's cheek. "I am never going to get over being able to do that," he murmured.

Seungkwan smacked Vernon's chest playfully. "Come on! Stop kissing and start talking. Date ideas?"

"There aren't any carnivals or fairs or anything around Seoul at the moment, I checked last night after you left," Vernon told him dejectedly. Seungkwan was impressed and surprised Vernon remembered his ideal first date.

Seungkwan "ooh"ed and sat up straight. "It's Saturday. My cheat day! We can cook lunch together! It won't count as a date, because we're just hanging out at yours and it isn't planned."

Vernon nodded, and led Seungkwan to the kitchen.

"Just remember I can't cook," Vernon warned. Seungkwan remembered back to when they were fifteen and Vernon had cremated a bag of popcorn. Then the time Vernon had put plain flour and water together and tried baking it into a cake. A feeling of dread came over him.

"You know what, " Seungkwan started looking through the cupboards, "I'll direct you. We'll make something simple - soup."

Vernon agreed hesitantly. "Sounds hard, but I trust you. What's first?"

"Get out a bunch of different vegetables." Seungkwan watched as Vernon got a few carrots, half a pumpkin, a bag of frozen corn kernels, an onion, and a couple potatoes.

"What meat do you guys have that we can use?"

Vernon looked in the fridge and freezer, "Mum said the pork's for tomorrow night, so chicken pieces."

"Put that in the microwave for a few minutes to defrost," Seungkwan ordered as he started putting vegetables back where he'd seen Vernon grab them from. Vernon had pulled out too much of everything for just the two of them.

"Now what?" Vernon asked.

"We wait for the chicken. We need to put that in first because it'll take longest to cook."

"Oh. Cool." Vernon moved sit on the part of the kitchen counter that wasn't covered in vegetables. He reached out for Seungkwan, but Seungkwan giggled and moved away. "You're going to have to try harder than that," Seungkwan teased.

"Seungkwan, get over here. I want to cuddle!" whined Vernon, his lips pouting slightly.

Seungkwan took pity on his boyfriend - boyfriend! so great to finally be able to think - and took the few steps towards him necessary so Vernon's knees were only just touching his stomach.

Vernon s his arms around Seungkwan and leant in closer. "One day we're going to do this everyday. Cook and cuddle in the kitchen," he whispered into Seungkwan's ear, "our kitchen when we move in together. And we can make love on the counter while we wait for everything to cook."

Seungkwan pulled away. He brought a hand up to pat Vernon's shoulder. "Easy there, tiger. Anybody else would think you were ."

Pink dusted Vernon's cheeks. He pressed a kiss to Seungkwan's forehead. "I'm a teenager, I'm almost always . Especially around you."

Seungkwan chuckled nervously. He wasn't sure he wanted to have this conversation yet - not when all of Vernon's family was home.

The microwave beeped obnoxiously. Seungkwan started moving out of Vernon's grip, only to have the other tighten it. Vernon kissed him, on the lips.

"I have to go sort out the chicken," Seungkwan whined into the kiss.

"Fine. Go do that then come back."

"Who's the needy one, now?" Seungkwan kissed Vernon, the two smiling.

"Hansol and Seungkwan, sitting in a tree. K-I-S-S-" Vernon's little sister came in, singing playfully.

The two boys broke apart quickly. "You can stop now Sof," Vernon told her.

"Fine. Mum told me to ask you if Seungkwan's staying the night?" The two siblings looked at Seungkwan expectantly.

"No, I'm not. Wouldn't want to get sick of Vernon too quickly, right?"

Sofia shrugged and left the kitchen. Seungkwan went over to the microwave and checked the chicken. He wanted to avoid the questions he knew Vernon was go to ask.

"Is it defrosted?" Vernon asked.

"Yeah, can you get out a big pot and half fill it with water?" Seungkwan wasn't sure how much water they'd need, but knew it was better to have to add more than try take some out.

Vernon slid off the kitchen bench and did as he was asked, then put the pot on the stove.

Seungkwan went over and put the defrosted chicken in and the heat, then put the empty plastic in the bin.

"Why did we defrost it?"

Seungkwan sighed. Vernon truly was hopeless. "So it takes less time to cook. Help me chop the vegetables." Vernon got out a chopping board and two knives. Seungkwan pushed the carrots and onion towards Vernon, and started on the pumpkin.

"Why aren't you staying the night?" Vernon asked, trying to sound casual but failing. "And don't tell me it's so we don't get sick of each other."

Seungkwan watched Vernon warily as he chopped the carrots. "Vernon, stop. You look like you're trying to cut your fingers off."

Vernon placed the knife on the bench, whuch he then turned to lean against. "Kwannie, answer the question. Communication, remember?"

Seungkwan pushed the pumpkin pieces to one side of the chopping board to make space for the potatoes. "How do I act? Now that we're boyfriends can we still sleep in your bed like we used to? Will you just want to kiss the whole night?"

Vernon chuckled and moved behind Seungkwan to envelope him in a backhug. "So unsure, aren't you? Nothing has to change just because we're boyfriends, except we need to talk more. I don't want to just kiss you - it's just really nice that we can. We can still sleep in my bed together if you want, and we can still hang out like we normally do if you want to. Or, we can kiss all night and whisper into each other's ears."

Seungkwan liked the idea of it - of both options. But, he remembered back to the last sleepover they'd had where he'd suggested they take care of their morning wood just as he was waking up. There was only so much he was comfortable doing with other people in the house - what if he said something like that and Vernon took him seriously because they boyfriends?

"I haven't told Mingyu we're together, yet. Or anyone else. I should probably let him know before Joshua tells Junghan and Junghan tells Dokyeom, then I have Mingyu feeling betrayed."

Vernon kissed Seungkwan's temple, and patted Seungkwan's , before moving back to his own spot. "Sure, no problem. Of course, you should probably let him know. And your mum - tell her, too. Now, how am I supposed to cut these carrots?"

Seungkwan showed him the proper way, and made sure his fingers were curled inwards towards his palms. By the time Vernon finished with both the carrots and onion, the chicken was cooked enough for Seungkwan to feel comfortable putting in everything but the corn.

"Why not the corn, yet?" Vernon asked as he washed the chopping board and knives.

Seungkwan sat on top of the kitchen bench. "It doesn't take long to cook, where as the other vegetables do."

Vernon nodded. "How much longer then?"

Seungkwan shrugged. "We should just keep an eye on it."

Vernon went over and stood in front of Seungkwan. He pushed Seungkwan's legs apart so he could stand between them, and grabbed Seungkwan's hands.

"Seungkwan, we need something we can tell each other, like 'I love you' but not that. I care about you, but I'm not in love with you."

Seungkwan beamed. He didn't know Vernon could be such a sap. He told the other boy so.

"I dunno, this is new to me, too." Vernon squeezed Seungkwan's hands. The two thought for a bit, and exchanged kisses as they did so.

"I adore you?" Seungkwan suggested.

A shy smile graced Vernon's face. "What? That's so... Cute." He scrunched up his face. "How did you think of that?"

"I was just thinking I adore you, and kissing you, and your eyes, and your slightly too long hair, and your nose, and your lips, and your-"

Vernon chuckled. "I get it, you adore me. Kwannie, I adore you, too."

Seungkwan thought maybe Vernon did like him back. He hooked his legs around Vernon to pull him in closer, and kissed him. It seemed all they'd done was kiss since they got together. Seungkwan used his hands to move Vernon's to his lower back, and moved his own hands to wrap around Vernon's neck.

Seungkwan froze when Vernon's hands moved even lower to his bum.

"Sorry," Vernon apologised sheepishly, moving hands to Seungkwan's waist.

"No, I liked it. I was just surprised," Seungkwan placed his hands over Vernon's and dragged them back to his . He smirked, "It's not liked you haven't already touched it."

"How did that happen?" Vernon asked, massaging the area people were never quite sure of being back or bum.

Seungkwan smiled. "You don't remember? We used to all slap each others butts, a lot, until one day we just. Stopped. ," Vernon smiled at Seungkwan's pun, "for some reason you continue to slap my every birthday, Christmas, and Valentines Day. Even the birthday I got my mark."

"Did you want me to stop?" Vernon teased.

"Not really," Seungkwan answered, leaning in to hug Vernon.

Seungkwan felt Vernon turn his head, and then there was the feeling of something hot and wet on his neck.

"Are you giving me a hickey?"

Seungkwan felt teeth against his neck, and Vernon grunted what sounded like an affirmative noise.

Hissing filled the kitchen. The pot was boiling over. Seungkwan tried to move to turn the stove temperature down, but was pinned in place by Vernon. "I haven't finished yet."

Seungkwan pushed him away gently. "You can finish once I've sorted out the soup. Then, I'll give you one."

Vernon moved away, but crossed his arms. Seungkwan couldn't believe Vernon was getting sulky over a hickey.

The soup looked almost done to Seungkwan. He told Vernon to bring over the corn, and he put it in the pot.

Vernon dragged him back to the counter and pinned him against it. "Can I finish that hickey, now?" Seungkwan nodded and bared his neck. Vernon flashed a mischievous grin before lowering his mouth to Seungkwan's neck. "You're going to want to wear a scarf for weeks."

 

 

=============

A/N:

Happy Valentines Day!

 

Slightly longer chapter. Aren't Verkwan cute? I feel like the characterisation is a bit off, but young love and all that.

 

Also, apologies for the kissing. If anything's strange it's because I've never kissed anyone before. All my knowledge comes from books, fics, and movies. And seeing others kiss, obviously. (But I'm not going to watch people kiss IRL, that's kinda weird.)

 

But, yeah.  Hoped you enjoyed the chapter!