Thirteen

Apple Initials and Thumbprint Soulmates

Vernon slammed the front door as he entered his home.

"Sweetie, is that you?" his mum called out from somewhere in the house. Vernon grunted in acknowledgement. "Why are you home so early? You normally meet your friends at the cafe." Vernon could hear the concern in her voice.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Just annoyed," he assured her.

"Oh, come into the kitchen and tell me what happened."

Vernon huffed into the kitchen. His mother was sitting on the floor with newspapers spread out around her. She was holding a giant ball of newspaper and there was a bowl of glue next to her.

"One of your sister's friends wanted a piñata for their birthday," she explained. Vernon nodded and dropped his bag at the doorway. He went over to the counter and sat on it.

"So, what's up?" his mother began.

Vernon took a breath. "Seungkwan took off after school with an older guy on his scooter."

Vernon's mum looked up at him. "Oh sweetie. Maybe they're just friends."

Vernon shook his head. "Seungkwan reckons this guy likes him!"

Vernon's mum sighed as she dipped a strip of newspaper in the glue. "Do you trust Seungkwan not to cheat on you?"

'What? Cheat on me? Seungkwan and I aren't dating! Why would you think that?" Vernon scrunched up his face. All those things his mum had said finally made sense. "Wait, did you think he and I were screwing or something?"

"I thought you and Seungkwan had been dating for years now but were too shy to say anything, some form of physical intimacy was to be expected.

"So you aren't together. Then why are you annoyed by this 'older guy'? Is he twenty or something?" She spread the wet newspaper strip over the rest of the paper mache.

Vernon shook his head. "He's a couple years older, and he has a scooter, and I'm worried he's going to take advantage of Seungkwan!" Mrs Chwe smiled at the obvious concern her son had for his friend. "But really, what made you think Seungkwan and I were together?"

Mrs Chwe shook her head, a look of fondness playing at her face. "You two just act like a couple. Back to Seungkwan and this older guy. I'm sure Seungkwan can handle himself, remember he's a month older than you. You don't need to baby him."

Vernon nodded, relenting. He supposed he did baby Seungkwan too much.

"On to something else. Do you know when Joshua's classes end today? I want to know whether to put food away for him or not."

Vernon slid off the counter. "He's staying at Junghan's tonight, so don't worry." Vernon left the kitchen, picking up his bag on the way out, and headed to his room.

He had a boring night ahead, and didn't even have homework. Maybe he could text Seungkwan to make sure Jihoon was treating him right. Or try set up another date with Chan.

Vernon flopped onto his bed. He let out a puff of air and shot off a message to Seungkwan then Chan.

He surfed the net on his laptop for a while before deciding to watch a Harry Potter movie. He was interrupted just before the golden trio managed to make Fluffy fall asleep again.

There wasn't even a knock, Mingyu and Seungkwan just traipsed into his room. They were both holding bags, which Vernon assumed to be overnight bags.

Vernon paused the movie. "Really?" he groaned, "A sleepover?" This was not ideal. Vernon had barely talked to Seungkwan since he'd dreamt about him. Vernon tried to think of something besides laying next to him cuddled up together, spooning with Seungkwan's pressed against little Vernon, or full on making out and grinding against each other.

Vernon thought of how they'd interrupted his movie. He thought of how Mingyu would be there all night. It worked, even if only a little. The slight disappointment was probably what stopped heat pooling in different areas of his body, though.

Mingyu merely nodded as he dropped his bag, while Seungkwan dumped his bag just inside the doorway and jumped onto Vernon's bed. He jolted Vernon's laptop as he landed on the bed, half splayed across Vernon.

Vernon pushed Seungkwan off him, and the other boy rolled so much he fell of the bed. Vernon heard an undignified "oomf" and smiled in victory.

"You guys know the drill, let's get the lounge room ready for a sleepover."

Mingyu groaned. "Do we have to? I can sleep in my sleeping bag on the floor and you and Seungkwan cab share."

A week ago Vernon might've agreed, but considering recent events, sharing a bed with Seungkwan was off limits.

Vernon shook his head. "The three of us'll wake up Sofia later after she's gone to bed."

"Fine," Mingyu muttered. He left Vernon's bedroom to get blankets and pillows from one of the cupboards in the laundry. Seungkwan got up off the floor.

"You know, I hadn't realised until Mingyu brought it up while we comimg here, but you haven't really talked to us much since last weekend."

Vernon shrugged. "I've been in the library. Studying."

Seungkwan rolled his eyes. "It's Mingyu, Dokyeom, and I that have university entrance exams this year. Studying isn't a reason to not talk to us, either. Even after and before school you've been doing odd jobs around the cafe."

Vernon ran a hand through his hair. "I dunno, haven't felt like talking."

Seungkwan shrugged, looking worried. "We should go help Mingyu with the blankets."

Vernon nodded, and the two went to go help.

Mingyu had managed to drag a blanket and three pillows into the lounge room."Can we all just share the foldout couch bed? I'm too lazy to get the mattress."

Seungkwan nodded. "Sure, why not? I get middle, though!"

Vernon groaned internally. He had to agree or it'd look suspicious.

The other two looked at him expectantly. Vernon shrugged. "Whatever, I don't care."

Mingyu flopped on the ground, "Dibs not pulling that thing out."

Vernon thought it was only fair, Mingyu had brought out most of the sleeping stuff while he and Seungkwan had just been chatting. He made his way over to the couch to pull out the foldout bed. Seungkwan threw the couch cushions onto the floor before disappearing.

Vernon pulled out the fold out bed and unrolled it. He and Mingyu put the blanket and pillows on it, and sat down

"Where's Dokyeom?" Vernon asked.

"He said something about videogames," Mingyu answered.

Suddenly, they were attacked by pillows. Seungkwan must've gone to get more. Seungkwan climbed onto the bed next to them.

"What do you want to do now?" he asked.

Vernon shrugged while Mingyu gasped. "Truth or dare!" the giant suggested.

Veron didn't want to play truth or dare, that was the type of game his little sister played with her friends. He said so, and received a hit on the arm for his protests.

"We can have a stereotypical girl sleepover!" Seungkwan exclaimed as he retracted his hand. Mingyu easily agreed and Vernon found himself wondering why he was friends with these two.

Seungkwan jumped off the fold out bed. "You have to ask your mum if we can use her makeup!"

Vernon groaned. "She'll think we're weird! And I'm pretty sure make up's expensive."

"Just eyeliner then?" Seungkwan bargained.

"I'm not asking."

Mingyu pouted and nudged Vernon with his foot. "It's just for fun. Male idols wear makeup."

Vernon shrugged, nonchalant.

"I'm asking then," Mingyu declared. He got up and stormed out of the loungeroom.

"I'm coming too!" Seungkwan cried, chasing after the tall boy.

Vernon flopped backwards. His friends were idiots. His phone vibrated in his pocket. He pulled it out and looked at the massage; a selfie of Chan pouting. He quickly got another message that said "I'm hungry but practise doesn't end for another fifteen minutes".

Vernon chuckled, sending a message back telling to finish practise well so he could eat.

"Who are you messaging?" Seungkwan asked. He and Mingyu had come back, both carrying a small box each like it was made of glass.

"Chan," Vernon replied simply. He swore he heard a small "hmph".

Seungkwan and Mingyu put the boxes on the bed.

"How'd you manage to get this?" Vernon asked, disgruntled, as Seungkwan opened the boxes to reveal powders, creams, and sticks of different colours.

"Can we use your makeup? Just for fun," Seungkwan said in fairly well accented English. Vernon had to admit he was pretty good.

"All colours! Rainbows!" Mingyu chipped in, and Vernon had to try not to chuckle.

"You guys are pretty good," Vernon encouraged them. Both of their faces erupted into gigantic grins.

Seungkwan and Mingyu managed to talk him into playing truth or dare. Most of the questions and dares were fairly tame to start with, like Vernon asking Mingyu if he ever picked his nose and ate it ("of course, when I was a kid. Sometimes these days if no one's around - it's good for your immune system, Seungkwan! Don't give me that look!'), or Seungkwan daring Vernon to let Mingyu put green eyeliner on him.

It was Vernon's time to ask now, and he wanted revenge on Seungkwan for the eyeliner dare. "Seungkwan, truth or dare?"

"Dare, I'm game."

Vernon narrowed his eyes. " a knob."

Seungkwan smirked and wiggled his eyebrows. "Yours or Mingyu's?"

Vernon gulped. He had not expected that comment. "A door knob, Seungkwan!"

Seungkwan shrugged. "You sure? You'd be missing out~" Seungkwan sang playfully.

"I'm very sure. Besides, what about Jihoon?" Vernon spat bitterly. It was the only thing he could do to stop Vernon Jr from pitching a tent.

Jihoon made his blood boil.

Seungkwan looked down. "Geez, I was joking. Sorry. And Jihoon and I haven't even been out on a date yet. We aren't boyfriends, we aren't exclusive."

Mingyu cleared his throat. "Let's stop now, hey? We should wash all this makeup off and start settling down. Watch some TV or something before we have to go to sleep."

Vernon and Seungkwan nodded. Vernon got up, pulling Seungkwan along with him, he always liked whenever Vernon was grabby or touchy. The three made their way to the bathroom and tried to use warm water and soap to get the make up off.

It achieved smearing the colours across their faces, but not too much more than that.

Sofia walked in. "Oh my god, you look like you tried dressing up like the Joker or something," she giggled. She walked back out, and appeared again with a bottle a few moments later.

"This is makeup remover. Put some on these," she held up a bunch of cotton pads, "and use them." She held out both supplies to the boys. Seungkwan grabbed them off her and started doing as she'd explained. She washed her hands in the sink and went to walk off before being held back by Vernon.

"Two questions." Vernon held up his index finger. "One, how do you know about that, you're too little to wear makeup."

Sofia sighed and rolled her eyes. "I'm a girl. Even if I don't wear it yet, mum makes sure I know things."

"Two," Vernon held up a second finger, "what are you doing out of bed, it's way past your bedtime."

"I needed to use the toilet."

Vernon nodded. "That's a decent excuse, I suppose." He leaned down to give her a goodnight hug and kiss on the cheek. "G'night."

"Night, bro."

After she left, Seungkwan and Mingy cooed. "You're so cute with her."

Vernon smiled, embarrassed, and took the makeup remover and cotton pads off Mingyu. "How do you do this, again?"

Seungkwan tsked and snatched the makeup remover and cotton buds out of Vernon's hands. "I'll do it."

Not long later, the three of them were squished up together on the fold out couch, Vernon closest to the doorway, Seungkwan in the middle, and Mingyu on the far side, watching whatever sappy drama Mingyu was into at the moment. They'd returned the makeup remover, cotton pads and makeup to Mrs Chwe.

"Lights out, boys," Mr Chwe poked his head into the loungeroom as the episode ended. He turned off the light as Mingyu turned off the TV.

 

 

 

 

When Vernon woke up it was find Seungkwan's face nuzzled into the crook of his neck, Seungkwan's leg thrown between his own (he could Seungkwan's junk against thigh) and he had his arm wrapped around Seungkwan's waist, hand dangerously close to Seungkwan's bum.

He looked across to the other side of Seungkwan, to find it empty. No Mingyu, which Vernon found a blessing.

Seungkwan shifted and moaned in his sleep, his leg moving against little Vernon. Not a good situation, Vernon had to wake Seungkwan up before anything got worse.

"Seungkwan," he whispered, trying to shake his friend awake.

"Mhm?" Seungkwan asked after a few seconds.

"Time to wake up, Kwannie."

Seungkwan shifted. "Oh my god you're hard," he murmured sleepily, voice thick with sleep. "Oh my god so am I. We should do something about this."

No, no we should not, Vernon thought at the same time his body thought they most definitely should.

"Get up and you can have a shower."

Seungkwan made a noise of disagreement and shifted, his thigh rubbing even more against Vernon. "I just wanna stay like this," he mumbled.

Vernon sighed. A sleepy Seungkwan was a stubborn Seungkwan.

"We have to get up, we have school." He pushed Seungkwan off him. Seungkwan grumbled and sat up, rubbing his eyes.

"You know my mum thought we were dating." Vernon stated before he'd even realised he'd thought it.

Seungkwan shrugged. "Well, we aren't."

"That's what I told her."

Seungkwan climbed over Vernon to get off the bed. "I'm going to shower."

Vernon stayed laying in silence for a few moments. Mingyu poked his head above the fold out bed's thin mattress on the other side of it.

"Do you wonder why she thought you two were a couple?"

Vernon nodded, curious what Mingyu would say next. "I've been on the floor in my sleeping bag for the past half hour after I woke up to get a glass of water and saw you two like that. Most friends don't end up like that when they share a bed. Almost everyone would have woken their friend up or pushed him off immediately after they realised the situation."

Mingyu collapsed back onto the floor. "Why is everyone so incompetent?" Vernon heard him mutter, the complaint muffled by Mingyu's sleeping bag.

Vernon was left to wonder what Mingyu meant.

 

 

=========

A/N:

Yeah, that just happened. Hope you enjoyed.

Happy New Years! 

Sorry I haven't updated in, like, a week and a half or something. I was busy with Christmas, New Years, and finishing my crochet project. Fun. So, I really don't care. 

I started this chapter thinking it would be shorter than usual because my tablet broke so I have to use my phone, but it turned out around the same length as normal.

Thanks for reading!