Four

Apple Initials and Thumbprint Soulmates

Double update! Because this update took so long, and while chapter is shorter, it's from Seungkwan's POV. (3rd Person POV, but still.)

 

The lunch bell went off. Seungkwan hurriedly packed up his stuff and rushed out of his classroom. He needed to make sure Vernon didn't spend too long with that Chan kid - they'd seemed too friendly for his liking yesterday when he walked in on them still chatting five minutes into lunch. Even more worrying, Vernon hadn't really talked about the kid with the duck hair before, only mentioned him in passing. 

 

He arrived at his best friends classroom while most of the students were still filing out. Seungkwan noticed neither Chan nor Vernon. Inside, he saw the last couple of stragglers tidying up their pencil cases, and Chan seemed to be rubbing his eraser over his whole desk. 

 

Vernon was leaning on the top of the back of his chair, listening to Chan talk. Seungkwan hoped maybe the boy was talking about juice, but expected he was mindlessly rambling in a vain attempt at trying to capture Vernon's attention. He snorted, only he could pull that off.

 

Seungkwan took in a deep breath and smiled. He had to approach this situation with tact; there was no way anybody was taking Vernon off of him. He pranced into the room and over to the two boys, watching as the other slowpokes and the teacher left the room. 

 

"Vernon!" He grabbed onto his friends arm and pulled it towards him playfully. "Lunchtime! There's low fat ice cream in the caf today and I want some. I've been so good with my diet lately!" 

 

Seungkwan really had been adhering to the diet and exercise plan he put together with Mingyu's mum so he could keep off those unwanted kilos, but he wanted to distract Vernon from Chan. Talking about his weight made Vernon go into best friend mode and assure him he didn't need to lose weight, that Vernon liked his chubby cheeks. 

 

Predictably, Vernon almost instantly tore his attention away from Chan. "Your weight's fine, Kwannie. If you lose too much your cheeks'll disappear." Vernon reached his hand up to lightly squeeze Seungkwan's cheek, a grin playing at his mouth. Seungkwan fist pumped internally, a cheek squeeze and he'd been called Kwannie!

 

"Quickly, before they're all gone!" Seungkwan started pulling Vernon towards the door. 

 

"Sorry, Chan. You can tell me about your dance showcase after lunch, ok? It sounds really cool!" Vernon said to the other boy before letting Seungkwan tug him along. Seungkwan turned his head around to see Chan glaring at him. 

 

But Vernon had a radiant smile painted across his face. Seungkwan's stomach flopped, he wasn't sure if it was because of him or not. 

 

After dragging Vernon through the line at the cafeteria ("I told you to hurry up, now they're all gone!" "I'll buy you a real ice cream and we can go halves in it and my apple?" "Fine.") the two met up with Dokyeom and Mingyu at the usual steps ten minutes into lunch. 

 

Vernon pulled out his apple while Seungkwan started on his half of the ice cream. "How do I do this?" He asked Seungkwan, eyebrows furrowed together. Gosh, Seungkwan loved his best friend's facial expressions. Mingyu and Dokyeom made noises of surprise. 

 

"How'd you manage that, Boo?" Mingyu asked Seungkwan. Seungkwan rolled his eyes, then explained what to do as Vernon did it. 

 

"SB?" Vernon announced when he'd finished, unsure.

 

Seungkwan's heart skipped a beat.

 

Dokyeom giggled. "Sounds like BS to me!" Vernon and Mingyu chuckled along with the joke. Seungkwan smiled weakly, it really wasn't that funny.

 

"There are a couple girls that go here with these initials," Vernon mused. He and the other two chucked around names. Seungkwan excused himself, lump growing in his throat. 

 

He'd barely even turned the corner before his eyes were tearing up, and he'd broken down as soon as he entered the girls' toilets. None of his friends would think to look for in here. It was thankfully empty, or he'd have the girls crowding around him to ask what was wrong.

 

After everyone had found out he was gay while he was still in his first year, one of the girls in his class had offered to let him cry in the girls' toilets rather than behind the bins in the cafeteria whenever he missed his mum. He'd been such a crybaby that all the girls quickly started ushering him into the closest female toilets whenever he so much as started to started to tear up. Now, in his last year, even the first year girls accepted him crying there and comforted him when he did so.

 

Seungkwan didn't want to be asked what was wrong and comforted now, though. He just wanted to cry in peace. So he walked into the cubicle furthest from the door and locked it. He closed the toilet seat lid and sat on it, bringing his feet up to rest near his bottom so the girls couldn't peek underneath the door and see his boys' shoes and make a fuss about poor, gay, Seungkwan. 

 

Usually, he'd like the attention. But not now. Not when his poor heart was trying not to break.

 

Of course Vernon wouldn't consider him. He was a him

 

Vernon liked girls.

 

Even though Seungkwan was Boo Seungkwan. A BS. 

 

Vernon still liked girls.

 

And Seungkwan shouldn't have strung himself along.