Apple Initials

Apple Initials and Thumbprint Soulmates

"Guys, guess what?" Seungkwan ran up to the group of boys waiting at a cafe table before school for coffee and early morning snacks, Mingyu following behind. He was holding a bag of apples. Vernon rolled his eyes. School hadn't even started yet, he was definitely not up to dealing with his best friend's antics this early in the day.

 

"I was talking to my mum last night, and she told me about this apple thing that she say's true!" Seungkwan started handing apples out to everyone along the table. These things that would tell you information about your soulmate were nothing new to the group. "Hey, Jun, do you want to try, too?" he called out to one of the waiters their group had grown close to since the eldest of their friends, Junghan, had started working at the cafe after he'd started university. 

 

Jun came over. "Why not?" he shrugged, "I've got nothing better to do, the place's empty. We only open up this early for you lot." 

 

"Ok, so you get your apple, and twist the stalk. Each twist, say a letter of the alphabet. The letter it snaps off at is the first letter of your soulmate's first name." Seungkwan halted his explanation while everyone twisted their apple core.

 

Vernon decided not to do his, he already had a mark of his soulmate's thumbprint, what good would initials do? They'd just make it so he'd feel impatient to meet his soulmate. He had his whole life to find his soulmate, he was only seventeen. Dokyeom noticed he wasn't doing it and gave him a questioning look. Vernon just shook his head, motioning for the other boy not to say anything. Seungkwan and Mingyu would make a big deal out of it.

 

"Then, you take the broken stalk, and tap softly into the apple skin, going through the alphabet with each tap. The letter the skin breaks on is your soulmate's last name." 

 

"What happens if the skin doesn't break? And I've been all the way through the alphabet?" Jeonghan asked, sounding slightly concerned.

 

"You go through the alphabet again," Seungkwan answered. "Do you guys want to share what letters you got after Junghan's finished?" 

 

There were noises of general agreement. 

 

"Juughan, what if this thing doesn't work for you?" Vernon suddenly asked. He'd remembered Junghan had two thumbprints, one on one of his fingers and the other on top of his foot. It wasn't unheard of, but not common enough that any of them knew anyone else who had two. 

 

"That's what I was worried about just then. Most things like this don't work for me," Junghan sighed. 

 

Mingyu made a loud sound. "Actually, Junghan, Seungkwan was telling me this on the way here. He said he asked his mum if it worked, and she said to do another apple after this one. That it worked for her friend's kid that had two." 

 

Junghan looked toward Seungkwan hopefully. "Really, you remembered this time?"

 

Seungkwan nodded enthusiastically, "Yes, I finally did, but-"

 

Suddenly, there was a high pitched beeping. "That means you kids have to get going for school," Jun informed them, turning his watch alarm off. Begrudgingly, Mingyu, Vernon, Seungkwan and Dokyeom got up and picked up their school bags and morning coffees, while Junghan and Jun started clearing up for when customers would start coming in the next ten minutes or so. 

 

"Junghan, there weren't enough apples for you to do two, sorry. I wasn't expecting it to be Jun working this morning, normally it's just you or Jihoon on Tuesday mornings," Seungkwan turned back around just before reaching the door and apologised, looking about ready to cry. 

 

"It's ok, I didn't do mine," Vernon spoke up, trying to both get out of having to do his and make it so both Junghan and Seungkwan felt better. He started walking over to Junghan to give him his apple when Seungkwan spoke up. 

 

"But what about you finding your one soulmate?" 

 

Everyone groaned. "Seungkwan, tact!" Vernon thought he heard Dokyeom whisper.

 

Vernon handed Junghan the apple and sighed. "I have an apple in my bag. I'll do it at lunch." Then, he started walking to the cafe's door. 

 

"Bye, Junghan, we'll share our soulmate's initials after your class that finishes at five! Meet you here!" Dokyeom yelled as the high schoolers exited the cafe.