1. Of Interviews and Annoying Friends

Roommates *Hiatus*

Kyungsoo was tidying up the house for his interview with his potential roommate. He had learned that his name was Kim Jongin and he happened to be the Kim Jongin- world renowned choreographer.

Kyungsoo had known of the man, in which he had a small crush on. He wanted to make sure the apartment was immaculate for Jongin's taste.

"I don't see why you're making it look really neat and tidy for someone who will possibly trash it later." Baekhyun, his best friend and a regular at his restaurant, scoffed and crossed his arms over his chest.

"And I don't see why you're here today, so clearly your negative comments are irrelevant." Kyungsoo sneered as he put the mop away. The house smelled of lavender from the floor cleaner and vanilla from the candles he had around the house.

"He's coming here to check out the house in an hour. Why are you cleaning it now?" Baekhyun questioned as he skimmed through some catalogs for makeup that his stage crew recommended.

"So the floor has time to dry. He's a dancer, he can't risk injury. And so it doesn't smell too strongly of lavender. The smell will disperse throughout the entire apartment by the time he gets here." Kyungsoo explained once he sat down next to Baekhyun.

"A dancer? Do I know this guy? Is he hot? Is that why you're so adamant on keeping the place cleaned?" After being bombarded with questions, Kyungsoo groaned and threw a pillow at an unsuspecting Baekhyun.

"You are not allowed to be here when he comes over. That is final."

"But Soo-" Baekhyun was cut of by a fuming Kyungsoo.

"Final."

~

Baekhyun wound up staying in the apartment anyway. He insisted that Kyungsoo cook something for the applicant, claiming that he was creating recipes for his restaurant and needed a guinea pig to test it out on when in reality, the meal was purely for him. And Kyungsoo couldn't even deny that it was a good idea.

"Hand me the ginger," Kyungsoo instructed Baekhyun from the kitchen side of the breakfast bar. Baekhyun instead handed him the fresh nutmeg. "The ginger." He gave Baekhyun a look that could only be described as the really? look.

"I'm a cosmetologist, not a chef, nor a botanist. How the hell am I supposed to know the difference?" Baekhyun asked monotonously after flipping through a magazine.

"My two-year-old nephew knows the difference." Kyungsoo murmured to himself.

"Your two-year-old nephew is your nephew."

"Are we going to argue about this or are you going to work my last-" Kyungsoo was interrupted by the ringing of his doorbell.

"Ooh! He's here! I'll go answer that door for you while you talk about ginger or whatever," Baekhyun chirped, hopping out of his seat and answering the door. "Hi, I'm Baekhyun. Kyungsoo's in the kitchen. It's a pleasure to meet you. Please follow me inside." The older beamed and opened the door, allowing two well dressed men inside the apartment.

"Chanyeol. This is my client, Jongin." A deep voice told Baekhyun before the owner of said voice bowed.

"I'm Kyungsoo's best friend, and I was actually just seeing myself out. But it was nice meeting you and good luck. Kyungsoo's thinking up recipes. Don't be surprised if he asks you to try something." With a wink, Baekhyun gave Jongin a reassuring smile and a bow before exiting the apartment and closing the door behind him.

"Free food from a high-class chef. Who'd be dumb enough to turn that down?" Jongin smiled and walked further inside the house, where he was met by a small, pale man with big eyes and pretty lips that formed into the shape of a distorted heart when he smiled at his creation.

"Hi, I'm Kyungsoo. I see you already met Baekhyun." The man from behind the counter smiled broadly. Jongin decided he looked much better in person than in a photo.

"Oh, um... Yeah." Jongin chuckled nervously.

"Sorry for that. He's a bit eccentric. Can you please try this for me? I feel like you're unbiased compared to that sassy stick of eyeliner who feels the need to constantly pester my every whim." Kyungsoo giggled and presented him a plate of baek kimchi and dak bulgogi as well as chopsticks.

Jongin's mouth watered at the smell and sight of the food as he eagerly took the plate. "I think we will be great friends, you and I." Jongin replied as he scooped the meat into his mouth gratefully, earning a smile from Kyungsoo.

"Just to inform you, he barely got out of rehearsal so I'd advise you not look at him while he eats. It's disgusting. It's like watching deprived pig." Chanyeol laughed.

"No, I don't. Stop it. You were in a ferret club." He muttered the last part. Jongin had a habit of bringing that dark era in Chanyeol's life up every time the elder said something to embarrass him. It was the ultimate blackmailing device.

"Ferret club? What's that?" Kyungsoo asked as he propped his elbows on the counter with interest.

"A ferret appreciation club. He and his ferret would go to these little club meetings a long time ago. And I have held it against him ever since." Jongin smirked when the chef giggled at his manager's dismay.

"Yah, don't act like I don't know about your lame squad photos with your dance crew from a few years back. I can show Kyungsoo if you wish." The oldest of the three challenged. Unfortunately for him, Jongin had no shame as he was already pulling out his phone and beckoning Kyungsoo to his side.

"I think you were cute in these photos." The chef cooed and squeezed Jongin's shoulder with the hands that were resting on it.

"You've got to be kidding me," Chanyeol groaned. "Why couldn't you do something even more humiliating than a stupid ferret club?"

"Because I'm cooler than you. And I own my oddities rather than deny them. You should try it sometime," Jongin smirked as he pocketed his phone. "Now if you'll excuse me, Yeol, I believe I have a few dwelling affairs that I need to cover with Kyungsoo. Another thing, seeing as I have the possibility of living with him, I may as well swallow my pride now as he'll maybe eventually figure out all of my embarrassing moments." 

"Ah, yes," Kyungsoo smiled, taking his hands off Jongin's shoulder and transitioning towards the living room. "You've already read the ad, so you know what to expect of the house. What am I to expect of you?" Jongin furrowed his brows in thought before speaking up.

"I have three dogs. They're all trained and they don't bark a lot. That wouldn't be an issue, would it." Kyungsoo already won Jongin over with his cooking, it'd be a shame if the pet clause turned out to apply to only one of his dogs. He couldn't bear with permanently separated from any of his dogs.

"Ok. We'll have an extra room. Would you want them to sleep in there or will they be rooming with you?" Kyungsoo asked with serenity in his voice sitting down on the black leather sofa. Jongin was practically beaming at the response. Now Kyungsoo won him over with the dog allowance.

"With me is fine. They tend to sleep on the bed with me so..."

"Fine by me. Oh, and what are your allergies? If I'm going to feed you, I'd rather not accidentally poison you, you know?" Kyungsoo chuckled from the couch. Jongin had still been at the bar, eating his meal when Chanyeol spoke up.

"He's not allergic to anything, but as long as the meals aren't too unhealthy- or he eats in moderation- then he should be fine."

"I understand. And, just to warn you, Baekhyun comes over a lot. Don't grow attached to him. You'll instantly regret it. I learned that the hard way." The smallest man sighed longingly, though there was humor in his words.

"I should say the same thing about Chanyeol over there-"

Chanyeol cut Jongin of with a grumble. "At least I know what sacred and private means. I don't go off blabbing about your personal information."

"Ok, point taken. But seriously, you're loud and you talk too much. And you do that weird breathing thing when you go to bed." Jongin laughed.

"Does he yelp like a dog? Baekhyun does that." Kyungsoo chimed.

"How do you even know this?"

"I'm pretty sure being friends since primary school allows you to know those types of things, Mr. Chanyeol. It's a very similar scenario to your friendship with Jongin." Chanyeol and  Jongin chuckled in agreement.

"Well, I don't sniffle so unnecessarily loud or yelp like a dog, I like Pororo and food, no allergies, I dance... anything else you'd like to know before finalizing any living arrangements and vice versa?" Jongin asked.

"No, the most I needed to tell you was about Baekhyun. Oh, and you're welcome to everything in the fridge and pantry unless I have a list of foods for recipes on the refrigerator. Simple as that, really." Kyungsoo smiled kindly.

Jongin's eyes widened with hope. "So, does this mean I live here now?" Kyungsoo answered with him with a nod and fished something out of his pocket. He then dangled a set of keys beside his face.

"Feel free to move your belongings in here when you have the chance. I'll either be here or I won't. That's why I'm giving you the keys now," He tossed them in Jongin's direction and watched the man catch. "Pleasure doing business with you, Jongin."

~ ~ ~

Baekhyun giggled uncontrollably after he was told the news. "So he's your roommate now? I'd love to see how that goes." He then smirked.

"What are you talking about? You think he's gonna violate the contract or something?" The only contract he had Jongin sign was the lease- after all, he had to sign it by law.

"Soo, the man is hot. I will not be surprised if you two hooked up or something. I mean, with a cutie like you, how could Jongin keep his hands off? Especially when you have such a plump and you sometimes parade around the house in those short shorts."

"Baekhyun, I highly doubt that'll ever happen. Besides, I don't even wear the shorts that often. And if I were to, it's not like he'll ever see them. He rehearses almost everyday," Kyungsoo sighed. "The most we'll have is a friendship. Like ours, except he's nicer and doesn't talk back."

"Yah, you make it seem like I'm the worst person on the planet. I could be a lot worse."

"When you stop crushing on my roommate, I'll take your word for it." Kyungsoo rolled his eyes, earning a sly grin on Baekhyun's part.

"Getting jealous? Oh, so you already like him then?" It was at this moment Kyungsoo questioned why he ever let Baekhyun stick around in the first place.

"We aren't together. I don't dictate his life. He may be with whomever he wishes to," Kyungsoo sang through gritted teeth. Baekhyun gave him a knowing look before chuckling to himself. "What now?" The younger gave his friend an aggravated stare.

"That doesn't stop you from liking him. Which is perfectly fine. He's not my type anyway." The elder shrugged.

"Excuse me?" 

"Oh please. Jongin is hot, Kyungsoo. No doubt about it. But his manager is much hotter." With a gasp on Kyungsoo's behalf, that conversation ended.

~ ~ ~

"Kyungsoo. Watch Pororo with me." It was quite funny that a few months ago, Kyungsoo was the one who initiated cuddling while watching Pororo at random times of the day in the ad, but it was Jongin who requested the cuddling sessions the majority of the time.

It wasn't like Kyungsoo had an issue with it. On the contrary; he loved spending time with Jongin because he got to know more about him. He also loved how Jongin's dogs would lay down on the couch with them, absent-mindedly watching the children's program with their father and his roommate. It was like Kyungsoo now had a family to care for; it made him feel significant.

He also loved how cuddly Jongin was. Every time Pororo came on, the man would either rest his head in Kyungsoo's lap while the former played with his hair or wrapped his arm around the two narrow shoulders and let Kyungsoo's head rest on his- and then there was the occasional spooning. Today was one of those days.

"I'm coming, Jonginnie." The smaller shouted from his bedroom. He had just finished organizing his freshly washed clothes when his new roommate called for him. Jongin had always been able to ask for Kyungsoo at the most convenient times, which he fairly appreciated.

Kyungsoo padded into the living room, wearing a large t-shirt and some pajama pants that pooled at his feet. He smiled at Jongin as he situated himself in the empty space in front of him. When the arm in the air dropped to his waist and pulled him close to a chest, he sighed contentedly.

"How was your day, Soo?" Jongin breathed against his neck. Kyungsoo could smell the faint traces of mint from his toothpaste; Jongin was also hygienic.

"Pretty good. I stopped by the restaurant to check on how everyone doing. Then I went ahead and stayed for a few hours before leaving to run errands. The usual. Yours?" Kyungsoo's eyes were too focused on the screen for him to notice that Jongin was staring at the pale skin of his shoulder.

Jongin first answered with a hum. "I met up with some famous Kpop group. They're a cool lot. A bunch of idiots, but the good kind. Maybe if you're free you can come over to the studio and sit in while I teach them the dance moves for their next music video?" A heart-shaped smile appeared on Kyungsoo's face as he nodded.

"Yeah, that'd be fun." After their short conversation, the pair returned to watching a few episodes of their favorite kids' show.

~

Kyungsoo woke at around two am- four hours after he cuddled with Jongin- only to find himself still wrapped in the same muscular arms as before. He slowly rose to the be fully seated, waking the dog at their feet.

"Aish. Sorry, Jjangah. When I take Jongin to his room, I'll be sure to carry you, darling." He whispered. When the dog lay her head on her paws, Kyungsoo placed a hand on Jongin's shoulder and gently shook him to consciousness.

"Wh- Soo?" The man blinked a few times as if blinking the sleep away. Kyungsoo smiled softly and released his shoulder.

"We should probably go to bed. It's late." The older explained. Jongin nodded and rose to his feet before stretching out his tired limbs.

"Thanks for waking me. Who knows how sore I would've been if I stayed there." He smiled tiredly. Kyungsoo turned off the tv and lifted Jjangah as he promised earlier and followed Jongin to his room, the other two children trailing behind.

When they reached Jongin's room, the taller collapsed onto his bed and two dogs that were on the ground hopped onto his bed. Kyungsoo set Jjangah down at Jongin's feet and gave her a few pats before he went on his way.

"Thanks again, Soo." Was the last thing Kyungsoo heard before closing the door and settling off to his room with a smile.

~ ~ ~

"You invited your little boyfriend along?" Chanyeol smirked when Kyungsoo entered the studio with a bag that held what Jongin could only guess was food.

"He's not my boyfriend. Where did you even come up with that logic?" Jongin scoffed at his manager, but when he turned to Kyungsoo and saw the man wave, he smiled and waved back.

Chanyeol snorted. "You're very obvious. Just the way you get when you're around him. And how you seem to talk about him so animatedly. And I know you think he's cute because of the conversation we had months ago when you were still looking for houses. Don't even deny that you have feelings for him."

"Listen," Jongin sighed and ran a hand through his damp hair. "Kyungsoo is my roommate. That's all he'll ever be. Our relationship is merely platonic."

"That doesn't answer my question. I asked if you had feelings for him, not if you two will date in the future. There's a difference between the two." Chanyeol explained pointedly. Before Jongin could answer, Kyungsoo came by with a warm smile.

"Hi, Jongin. Hey, Chanyeol. I brought you both over some food." Chanyeol's ears perked at Kyungsoo's statement. He had originally thought the shorter male brought food for only Jongin. It felt nice to be included in the food pool.

"Thank you, Soo. We were going to go out and get something, but now we don't have to." Chanyeol made grabby hands for the bag in Kyungsoo's hand, resulting in the younger raising his arm for Chanyeol to take it.

"It's kimchi spaghetti. I know you really liked it that one time a few months back when we invited you and Baekhyun over for dinner." After Kyungsoo's explanation, Chanyeol beamed.

"You better take care of this man, Jongin." He winked before setting off to chat with some of the dancers.

"I'll see you at home. The kids and I will be waiting. Have fun with the rest of the choreography." With that, and a giggle, Kyungsoo left Jongin and waved to Chanyeol as he exited the studio.

Through a mouthful of food, Chanyeol said: "You two are so domestic. You may as well be married."

That statement resulted in a kick to the shin.


I think I somewhat got the hang of updating on my phone, you guys. Anyway, I'm really happy with the positivity I'm receiving for this fic, I really hope you guys liked this chapter. Also, because I said I'd be giving updates on my other work that I collabed with Baby_KyungFu_Panda on, I am pleased to say that she emailed me the final draft a few hours ago and it will be posted shortly! So go check that out if you haven't yet!

-Chencing_Machine