3. Kyungsoo's Special Guest (part 1)

Roommates *Hiatus*

Kyungsoo had been at his restaurant since morning. He thought today would be a good day to show the sous chef the recipes that had been Jongin, Chanyeol, and Baekhyun approved.

"How have you been, Kyungsoo-ssi?" The bartender/barista, Minseok, asked when Kyungsoo emerged from the kitchen with a pleased expression.

"Pretty ok. Although I'm nervous because the most important person in my life is coming all the way from Goyang to visit, and I don't want Jongin meeting her yet."

"You mean your hot roommate that you're so desperately in love with?" Jongdae, the assistant barista- and Minseok's boyfriend- smirked knowingly. From the pastry display. He always had a knack for the awareness of the other employees, but that's only Kyungsoo's nice way of calling him nosy.

"No," the younger blushed. "It's not like that."

"But you never said you didn't think he was hot. Which he is." The elder pried.

"I'm getting jealous over here." Minseok playfully announced. Kyungsoo thanked the heavens that his employee was sensible and interjected.

"He's hot for Kyungsoo's standards though, Minnie," Jongdae continued to smirk. "To the extent that he dug up the shorts." He grinned wickedly.

"Do Kyungsoo, is what I'm hearing true? Are you actually trying to seduce your roommate with a pair of shorts that you wore a few years ago at a national track meet?" Minseok gave him an incredulous look.

"I received a lot of stares in those. They compliment my legs-"

"And your ." Jongdae quipped.

"And if my legs can summon Jongin to me, than so be it. Besides. I wasn't hearing any complaints from you when I won the championship." He scoffed.

"You make it seem like you're trying to possess someone, my friend. I like it. You use your clothes for evil." Kyungsoo couldn't help but chuckle to himself. He knew that if the shorts could grab the attention from other competitors, they'd grab Jongin's attention, too.

"Enough calling someone else y," Minseok playfully glared at his boyfriend. "Why don't you want Jongin meeting her?"

"Because she's overbearing and a little invasive," He simply answered. "I don't want her to scare my man away."

"Your man? Is that why you're luring him with the shorts?"

Kyungsoo giggled. "That's exactly why, Minseok."

Jongin was at the studio, and Kyungsoo was having a mental breakdown. He had an hour to make the house as clean and spotless as he had ever had it before. He wasn't even like this when Jongin had came for the interview. Why was he so stressed about this person? Because that particular person was his mother.

Don't get him wrong, Kyungsoo loved his mother to death, but she's a bit out there. Every one of her visits seemed to drive Kyungsoo up the wall. And because he was at work, he had to invite her at an early time so she could leave before Jongin would meet her. There was no way he'd let his mother embarrass Jongin- yet. It's too early in their friendship for the dancer to share the shame. He also wasn't lying when he told Minseok and Jongdae he didn't want the woman to scare his man away. Theoretically speaking.

"I swear if that woman is here for over four hours, I'm going to lose my mind," he muttered to himself after sweeping for the sixth time that hour. The floor was already cleaned, but Kyungsoo wasn't taking any precautions. "What would Connor Franta do at a time like this?" At the mention of one of his favorite YouTuber's names, it hit him: candles.

He liked candles, Connor liked candles, and his mother liked candles. It was perfect.

After searching one of the kitchen pantries for candles, he found a few that were in season, which was fall. Thankfully, his mother loved pumpkins.

So once he lit the candles, fed and groomed the kids, cleaned the apartment, and picked up some groceries for tonight's meal, he went ahead and began preparing for their dinner.

~ ~ ~

At around the time he had food in the oven, there was a knock on the door before someone barged in. Kyungsoo's face fell when he saw that that someone was Baekhyun.

"You know I have a doorbell. You also have a key." He deadpanned as Baekhyun sat down in the sofa.

"I know, but I felt like knocking." Baekhyun shrugged. Jjangah barked excitedly and hopped on the couch to greet an equally chipper Baekhyun.

"Hi, sweet baby. Is the mean Kyungsoo bringing you down, too? I'm so sorry. He's just too busy cleaning and cooking and making the house smell like candles to give you any attention," Baekhyun was almost too occupied to realize what he was saying. But even the pants of his favorite of Jongin's dogs couldn't shield his ears from his own words. "What's with all this stuff anyway? You already won Jongin over, you deceiving little demon."

"It's not for Jongin." Kyungsoo rolled his eyes.

"Is-is it for a date? But Kyungsoo, why would you only to go on a date?" The saddened expression on Baekhyun's face confused Kyungsoo.

"No. Why would you think that? I put a lot of work into making him want me?"

Relief washed over Baekhyun's face and he laughed. "Because you did the same thing with Jongin. You can't repeat the process." He stated as-a-matter-of-factly.

"Jongin and I are roommates. Our relationship is completely platonic." Kyungsoo groaned. He felt like he has had this conversation on numerous occasions. It was always the same. How unfortunate.

"Then why else would you do all of this stuff?" After Kyungsoo made a face, Baekhyun's lit up. "Is Omma coming?! I haven't seen her in so long! Kyungsoo, why didn't you tell me?!" Baekhyun squealed. He loved Kyungsoo's mother, and she adored him in return.

"Because you won't be staying here. The last time you did during one of her visits, you both ganged up on me. That is not happening this time. It will just be us too. And don't even think you can get yourself to stay like you did last time. She already causes me enough stress in one trip. I don't need you here to-" Baekhyun interrupted Kyungsoo before he could go off in a complete tangent.

"Ok. I won't stay. You always seem miserable for a few days after she comes by anyway. I'll just see her another time." Kyungsoo felt bad for placing blame on Baekhyun, especially when he was actually willing to cooperate.

"I'm sorry. You're not in the wrong for this, just so you know. I'm just stressed because I had her come early so she doesn't meet Jongin. Not yet, at least." He explainded.

"Why not? You want your mother to meet her future son-in-law when you two are finally-" Kyungsoo had Baekhyun by the arm as he was dragging him out of the apartment.

"Goodbye."

"You cannot escape this, Kyungsoo-" the door slammed in his face. "We all know you have feelings for each other. It doesn't help that you live together!" After Baekhyun screamed at the door, he huffed in annoyance and stalked off.

Kyungsoo tried not to let Baekhyun's words get to him. But he couldn't help thinking that his best friend was probably right. He had a thing for Jongin since way before he moved in with him. And living with him only made his feelings grow stronger. He saw sides of Jongin that he'd never thought he'd see. Their friendship grew quickly, but that wasn't enough. Kyungsoo didn't want a friendship. And maybe everyone knew that. Maybe even Jongin, unless he was incredibly oblivious.

His thoughts were interrupted by the ringing of his doorbell. He took a deep breath. His mother was here.

After calming himself down, he scurried to the door and opened it with a forced smile. He was greeted by the pleased expression of his mother.

"Kyungsoo! You look so handsome," she squealed as she pulled him into a tight grasp. "How have you been, dear?"

"I-I've been fine, Eomeonim. How are you?" He breathed out. Once his mother released him, he took the chance to regain his breath.

"I'm great. I'm so happy you decided to have me this evening. Your apartment smells great. Looks beautiful. You cleaned up nicely." She looked around and then spotted the dogs.

"Um, those are the kids. The big brown one is Monggu, the smaller brown one is Jjangu, and the small white one is Jjangah."

"Well aren't they just precious? When did you get dogs?" She knelt down to pet Jjangu, as he was the first dog to approach her.

"Um, a few months ago." He responded. It wasn't necessarily a lie, but it wasn't the entire truth either.

"Wow. We clearly have a lot to catch up on, then. For instance, how's your dating life going? Are you seeing anyone? Is he handsome?" So Kyungsoo's mother seemed to be very keen on his relationships. There have been several occasions where she even set him up with a few guys. But they've never worked out after the first date.

"Um... It's- so, are you hungry? Thirsty? I can open up a bottle of wine if you like." He offered instead. He never felt comfortable with telling his mother about how dating went for him. His last relationship was actually the last person his mother set him up with months ago. Actually, it was about two weeks before Jongin moved in.

"Of course. And then you can tell me about your dating life. I'm dying to hear of that now." She snickered and followed him to the bar.

Kyungsoo inwardly groaned. This was going to be such a long evening.


It's currently Thursday 3:42 PM and I'm supposed to leave school early for swollen tonsils and a fever, but instead I'm laying in one of the beds because my mother refused to answer her phone. So I may as well post this while I'm on the school's wifi. Anyway, let me know what you think. Comments are much appreciated.

 

-Chencing_Machine