10. Paranoia

Roommates *Hiatus*

Kyungsoo had finished filling the kids' bowls by the time Jongin came back. "Hey, sorry I'm late. Jjangu hurt his paw by stepping on a broken beer bottle, so I bought them some booties and had it bandaged at the pet store. He'll be walking with a limp for a while." His boyfriend frowned as he set the wounded dog in front of his food bowls.

 
"Poor baby," Kyungsoo cooed and knelt down to pet the whimpering dog. "Should he rest it on a pillow?"
 
"The store vet said he'd be fine walking with it. It's just that the limp will still be there. He'll be able to walk normal again in a few days. It wasn't 

too serious." The younger reassured. Kyungsoo ruffled the dog's ears one last time before standing up to wash his hands then serve dinner.

 
~
 
After a few days, Kyungsoo and Jongin had seen improvement in Jjangu's walking. Baekhyun and Chanyeol came by to check on the dog, Baekhyun examining his paw and grimacing at the gauze.
 
"Poor baby. Why are people idiots that throw glass anywhere?" The eldest frowned while clutching the dog protectively into his chest.
 
Kyungsoo glanced at him wearily from the kitchen as he leisurely chopped vegetables. Something didn't seem right with the couple as soon as they came into the apartment. And something didn't set right with Kyungsoo.
 
Baekhyun was notorious for meddling with his love life from time to time, and knowing very well that he really wanted the new couple to finally sleep together, he was a bit skeptical letting those people into his house as they could pull the wool over their eyes.
 
Kyungsoo may sound paranoid, but he truly believed keeping an eye on his best friend was the way to go.
 
Unfortunately, he seemed to be the only one concerned that these people practically threatened them, and here they were, in his home. Jongin often overlooked the things said, playing them off as threats. But Kyungsoo knew.
 
Bless Jongin's heart for being so easygoing.
 
"At least he's getting better. I get to take the wrap off tomorrow. And he'll be totally fine." Jongin scratched his kid's ear a couple of times before moving on to pet the others.
 
"What a little fighter, you." Baekhyun cooed as he repeatedly pecked the top of Jjangu's head. Kyungsoo scowled.
 
I can't believe he's trying to act like he's innocent. That liar.
 
"Soo, you should take a break from the chopping block and join us." He averted his gaze to lock eyes with Jongin, smiling warmly and immediately halting before washing his hands from the aroma of potatoes and joining Jongin at his side.
 
"You alright?" Were the first words to invade his ear as he had curled into Jongin. The younger looked genuinely concerned as to why Kyungsoo was so quiet this time 'round.
 
"Yeah, just a little agitated that I came imp with a recipe, but I can't seem to remember it." It wasn't entirely a lie. He just failed to mention that the reason for his forgetfulness was because the two soon-to-be traitors that were in their very presence.
 
"You seem on edge. Did you want to go back into the kitchen so you can remember it again?" Jongin's soft and soothing voice and concern-laced eyes had Kyungsoo mentally cooing.
 
"No, it's alright. I think I need to clear my mind from cooking for a while." And those two conniving lumps from my house.
 
"You sure?" When Kyungsoo nodded, Jongin gave him an affectionate peck on the forehead. Kyungsoo couldn't hide his blush or his smile. Especially from the intruders; Kyungsoo swore he saw them exchanging glances and smirking.
 
Jongin had failed to notice, and he immediately jumped into conversation with Chanyeol. Kyungsoo didn't bother saying anything after that conversation. He'd rather he just look and listen. And most significantly: plot.
 
Nothing sat right with him at this point. Baekhyun didn't mention it since the 'threat', he has no idea if Chanyeol brought it up to Jongin at work, but all he knows is he has to beat those people at their own game. Because Do Kyungsoo did not like to lose.
 
~
 
"I've never seen him glare at me so much in our years of being best friends. I was really intimidated, but I think it's working." Baekhyun looked up at Chanyeol with a small grin upon his pretty lips. Chanyeol himself felt smug and quite proud that he was getting recognition for his plan.
 
"Sometimes, you just gotta let people believe they're being played, when they really aren't. Unless they are…" Chanyeol furrowed his eyebrows at his paradox, but as long as Baekhyun liked the idea, he was pleased.
 
"But it seems like only Kyungsoo is bothered by it. How come Jongin hasn't responded yet?" The elder asked as he set his cup of tea down onto the coffee table.
 
"Jongin likes to go with the flow, but he'll eventually come around. We just have to wait until Kyungsoo finally expresses his thoughts to him. Most likely, Jongin will listen intently and soon realize that there is something going on." Chanyeol chuckled at the thought of their friends spiraling into a bout of paranoia: as dark and twisted as it sounded.
 
"My Channie is such a genius. And to think I ever doubted you." Baekhyun affectionately pinched that taller's cheek.
 
"You have my college degrees to thank." Chanyeol replied modestly as he laid his head down on Baekhyun's lap. "And that little present you hid in their house." He later snickered.
 
~
 
"You think they're what?" Jongin asked incredulously after Kyungsoo went into further detail about why he was in a different mood than usual.
 
"They act so innocent, but I know. I know, Jongin. They have something. I bet they bunked the place." Jongin blinked before hesitantly moving forward to check Kyungsoo's temperature.
 
"Have you been getting much sleep? I think you should go lie down." Jongin mumbled. This resulted in Kyungsoo huffing and pushing his boyfriend's hand away from his forehead.
 
"I'm serious. I know Baekhyun better than Baekhyun knows Baekhyun. He had to do something while he was here. Oh my god. Check the couch cushions. What if they planted something between the couch cushions?!" Kyungsoo shuffled away from Jongin and threw cushions aside, patting down the suede.
 
"Uh, Soo? I really think you should take a nap because I'm wor-" Kyungsoo triumphantly held out a black and gold foil packet in front of Jongin's face. The taller immediately shut his mouth as he ogled the item.
 
"Am I crazy, Jongin? Am I?"

So I apologize for missing an update. School and chiropractor appointments had killed me. On the plus side, I don't have to go to the chiropractor anymore- unfortunately, my mother is considering surgery. But I hope it won't come to that. And also, I had occupied myself with trying to come up with cash so I can go to the EXO concert. AND I GET TO GO. So if you'll be at the Verizon Theater on February 10, 2016 in Grand Prairie, Texas, I will most likely see you there! And because my little sister and I are missing that Wednesday to go to our hotel, I will have a two-hour car ride to write! So thank you EXO!!! Don't forget to leave comments. Let me know if you're going to one of the concerts, too.

-Chencing_Machine