7. Beignets (part 1)

Roommates *Hiatus*

Zitao and that stupid ring got Jongin stuck in that stupid jewelry store for three stupid hours.

It's not the right diamond. He said.

They got the band size wrong. He said.

What kind of establishment is this? He said.

That moron almost got them kicked out of the jeweler's all because of a damn ticket misprint. Jongin prayed to God that he wouldn't be that way in the time of his proposal. He'd rather spend a night at Chanyeol's with his heavy breathing than go through that nonsense.

If this is how Tao is going to act the day of engagement, he could only imagine what he'd be like the day of the wedding.

"I think you should calm down." Jongin suggested ignorantly.

"Kim Jongin, I think it's best that you go home before I scream at you, too." Zitao muttered through gritted teeth.

That's how Jongin ended up sulking home. So help him if he ever had to go ring shopping again for anyone anytime soon. He just wanted to go home and rest. He's too tired to deal with any rings for a long time.

"You look exhausted." Kyungsoo commented with a slight chuckle once Jongin entered the apartment.

"I never knew even the groom can be so particular about a ing ring. Nothing was right for him, but he picked it out weeks ago." He sighed. Kyungsoo was preparing food in the kitchen, so Jongin ended up trudging over there.

"He's stressed. Cut him some slack." He giggled when Jongin's breath fanned over the skin at the back of his neck. The choreographer's arms wrapped around the chef's slim waist while he leaned down to whisper in his ear.

"You wanna talk right now?" He asked hopefully.

"Yeah, but listen before we do, you should know that-" Kyungsoo pointed at the iPad, but the action went over Jongin's head.

"I love you." The younger confessed and interrupted the elder. Kyungsoo's, cheeks flamed a bright pink from the sudden outburst.

"I- I- Jongin-" Jongin only shushed the boy with his lips.

"Hear me out, Soo. I have so many reasons why I love you," he added. Kyungsoo quickly glanced at his laptop, noticing that the man on the opposite line had muted his own device so he could hear the conversation in silence. "I love that your eyes are so big, and how they crush the stereotype that all Asians have small eyes," Kyungsoo giggled at that statement. "I love how your lips are so pretty and heart-shaped when you smile. I love how you bring food for both me and Chanyeol. You don't even have to, but you do it out of the kindness of your heart. I love how you always smell like apples or coconuts when we cuddle. And not even like the generic and overly sweet coconut. You smell like they do after they've been cracked open. It makes me want to sneak into your room and steal your shampoo," he laughed to himself. "I love how you refuse to do aegyo, which makes sense because you really don't need it. I love how you are with the children, Kyungsoo. I love that they love you in return." Kyungsoo bit his lip as if it would help him control his blushing. It didn't.

"Jongin, I want you to continue, but you should know that Lu-" this time, Kyungsoo was cut off by a knock on the door.

"Damn it. Hang on a second!" Jongin called out rather than answering the door. "Long story short. I love you. I didn't want to do this super cliché confession, but screw it. I'll be as generic as those old American 90's toy commercials, but oh well. I love you."

"I love you, too, Jongin-ah." Kyungsoo laughed. 

"Finally! You two are now a couple! This is so exciting!" A third voice giggled from Kyungsoo's iPad. Jongin scrunched his eyebrows and turned to the source of it.

"Sorry. I didn't get a chance to hang up." Kyungsoo apologized as the culprit, one of his employee's- Luhan- waved.

"Hi there, Jongin. Long time, no see." The fairy boy waved.

"Hey, Luhan. How're you?" He cleared his throat awkwardly.

"Ecstatic now that you two are finally together." The man on FaceTime snickered.

"You must have a nonexistent life if this was the highlight of your day or something." Kyungsoo deadpanned, earning a laugh from Jongin and a pout from Luhan.

"Aish, I don't think you should talk to your favorite employee-"

"Minseok is my favorite employee." Kyungsoo corrected, but Luhan chose to ignore him.

"I have been with you since day one."

"Your day one." The younger laughed. Luhan again ignored him.

"I think I deserve at least the utmost respect as your hyung, Soo." He finished pointedly. Kyungsoo mentally rolled his eyes.

"Fine, fine. Have it your way," he scoffed. "I gotta go, Luhan. Jongin, get ready for lunch. We're having jjanjangmyeon."

"Ok," The younger chuckled, kissing the top of Kyungsoo's head and ruffling his hair. "Soo, where are our kids?" He asked once he entered his bedroom.

"Baekhyun took them. He and Chanyeol will bring them back tomorrow morning." Kyungsoo explained as he made his way to the door.

Minseok and Jongdae smiled brightly and waved at Kyungsoo when he opened the door. "Sorry we're late. We came by as soon as we heard the news from Luhan." Minseok had invited himself in and dragged Jongdae with him.

"It's about time. All you ever did was fawn over that man. Is he here?" Jongdae looked around the apartment tentatively- just as Jongin left his room and joined everyone else.

"You fawned over me?" Jongin asked Kyungsoo with a teasing smirk. When the older glared at the uninvited guests, he knew his answer. Jongin couldn't help but pull Kyungsoo into his embrace. "Cute."

"And then this adorably little sugar plum must have seduced the living out of you with those shorts, no?" Minseok pinched the blushing man's cheek, only to see him smirk to himself.

"You wore those on purpose?" Jongin asked incredulously. Kyungsoo peered at him and batted his eyelashes.

"It worked, didn't it?"

"Don't tell me you two are going to be like Baekhyun and Chanyeol. God, I could not have been more annoyed by those two." Jongdae shook his head, playful glint in this eyes.

"Who knows. We may even be worse." Kyungsoo smirked. Minseok visibly shuddered at the thought.

"Well in that case, we better get out of your hair. Come on, DaeDae." Minseok coughed, dragging his compliant boyfriend behind him.

~ ~ ~

Jongin was carrying a half-asleep Kyungsoo from his bedroom at midnight upon request. They had spent hours playing video games and watching videos on YouTube. It was a nice "first date" for them as a new couple.

"Nini, this is our first night away from the children." The smaller murmured through sleep.

"Yeah, Soo. Is that why you wanted me to make food with you?" He asked with a slight chuckle. He knew Chanyeol had probably told him stories about his previous cooking disasters. It was a good thing the dogs were with their best friends', so they wouldn't watch their Appa making a fool of himself in front of his new boyfriend.

"Our children will be safe in another house, you know. That is if the tales are true." Kyungsoo smirked once Jongin set him down.

Jongin and Kyungsoo had cooked together on several occasions, only this was the first time Jongin trusted himself to handle the kitchen appliances. The most he'd ever done was mixing with a spoon or garnishing.

"Now are you sure you trust me with this stuff?" Jongin asked nervously, tentatively poking a food processor. The appliance only made a tapping sound from where his fingernail met the plastic of the container.

"I think the real question is if you trust yourself." Kyungsoo replied knowingly. Jongin had always refused to help Kyungsoo with anything that required electricity or heat; he didn't even trust himself with the microwave.

"I-I think we should postpone this for another time. Maybe I can take you out for smoothies instead?" Kyungsoo rolled his eyes and pushed him towards the fridge.

"Sorry, love. Not gonna happen," he laughed as Jongin stumbled. "We'll start you off with the easier tasks. Can you boil water?" Jongin's face paled and he shook his head.

"Not correctly." He stated. Kyungsoo searched the cupboards for a small saucepan. Presenting it to Jongin, he filled it about halfway with water and placed it on the stove.

"Now turn it on." Kyungsoo instructed. Jongin blinked. At least Kyungsoo had a modern kitchen with an electric stove. Those were much easier to work with than gas ones.

He tentatively shuffled passed Kyungsoo and placed his hand on the knob. Turning it, he quickly stepped away as if the water would erupt.

"Relax. It takes time for the stove and the water to heat up." Kyungsoo giggled at Jongin's reluctance. He was patient though. He'll take his time in teaching Jongin how to cook a few decent meals. The dancer just needed time- time that the other was willing to give him.

~

"Nini, take the knife." Kyungsoo eased closer. He was attempting to teach Jongin how to properly chop vegetables, but the man was refusing to handle anything.

"Is it possible to cut onions with a wooden spoon?" Jongin whined childishly. This earned him a patronizing laugh.

"It's not so bad. I'll teach you." Kyungsoo insisted. Jongin only shook his head for the umpteenth time.

"Can we try something else? Let's make those little pillow treats instead." His eyes lit up. Kyungsoo rolled his eyes but nodded nonetheless. He put the knife away and turned off the boiling water, then put the onion back in the crisper.

If only Jongin knew he'd have to fry them.

~

"What do you mean the dough has to rise for two hours?" Jongin stomped his foot. Kyungsoo had taught him how to prepare the beignet dough and didn't physically help him once. Jongin at least thought they'd knead the dough together like they did in the movies, but Kyungsoo insisted that he learned on his own and was only allowed guidance from afar.

"It needs to double in size, Nini. Otherwise, the beignets won't be as fluffy." Kyungsoo rolled his eyes. He had originally wanted to teach Jongin how to make soup- a simple food, but Jongin insisted on the 'pillow treats' instead.

Oh well. At least we put the water to good use with the dough. Kyungsoo thought to himself.

"Then what do we do to pass the time?" Jongin inquired as he left the kitchen.

"I was gonna suggest we play with the children, but never at this hour. They aren't even here. What am I saying?" The elder chuckled and shook his head.

"We have time alone, Soo. We have two hours to kill. You know what that means?" Jongin asked suggestively. Kyungsoo's cheeks flamed, and he did his best to hide them with his hands, to no avail. "Come on, Soo." The taller smirked. Kyungsoo gulped: the next two hours of his life were going to be energy draining.

~

"Jongin! I'm tired!" Kyungsoo wailed after about forty-five minutes of his boyfriend teaching him how to dance. He was actually quite good for a beginner with serious lethargy, but Jongin knew Kyungsoo valued sleep- which he currently needed.

"But we still have an hour." Jongin wiped the light sheen of sweat from Kyungsoo's forehead with a damp towel.

"Can't we just take a nap? We can even set the alarm so we wake up on time." The elder pleaded. Although Kyungsoo had a- very- nice figure, the man was out of shape. Jongin knew this because he knows that the most activity the shorter did was walking around while cooking or cleaning. He also knew Kyungsoo was in track back in secondary school. Although that was years ago, at least that explained why his legs were actually pretty fit.

"Do you really want a nap that much?" Jongin took a sip of his water and quirked his eyebrows. Kyungsoo had over dramatically collapsed on top of the hardwood floor, the cool material instantly relieving him.

"Nini, please let me sleep." Kyungsoo whined and outstretched his arms for Jongin to lift him.

"But you still have to take a shower. You always do before you go to bed." Jongin explained as he lifted Kyungsoo off to floor.

"Very well. Carry me to my bathroom, then. And you should take a shower, too. You're sweaty." Kyungsoo yawned onto Jongin's shoulder.

"Are you implying that we shower together, Kyungsoo?" The elder scoffed once Jongin set him down.

"Absolutely not. We haven't been together that long, Nini. It's far too early for that." He smirked wickedly.

"You didn't seem to have any concerns when you practically shook that in front of me almost everyday." The younger raised his eyebrow challengingly and grasped the elder's for emphasis. Kyungsoo squeaked before turning to give the man a glare.

"Yah, you'll get it someday, but for now, I need you gone." Kyungsoo pushed his boyfriend out of the bathroom and locked the door to prevent the younger from getting back in.

"Come on, Soo. Don't be a tease." He begged from the other side of the door. Kyungsoo merely hummed before turning on the faucets and shedding his clothes.

"Just wait a while, Jonginnie. I want to be more energized and apple-smelling when the time comes. Please do that for me?" Jongin could only give up his attempt and accept Kyungsoo's wishes. After all, he understood his point of view.

"Alright, baby," he sighed. "But the moment you deem yourself sweet-smelling and energized, you know what to do." With a smirk that Kyungsoo could hear through the door, Jongin pushed himself off the door and walked out of Kyungsoo's bedroom.


Hello! So, I have a ton of works in progress right now because I just get ideas in my sleep or while listening to music or from past experiences and stuff. I already have one uploaded that is rated M, and I'm working on a Kaisoo/Kray/Baekyeol au, I have a Suchen au. And finally, I came up with a Baekyeol after listening to one of my favorite songs. I probably won't post the Suchen until February because it's a super fluffy fic, the office au is probably going to be up in January, the Baekyeol song fic may come a lot sooner, although I feel like no one will read it for a particular reason. I'll explain that later. But please tell me what you think of this update. I was trying to post sooner, but I can only blame myself for needing to reitalicize everything.

-Chencing_Machine