Tuesday Night

In Between
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

APRIL 9, 2013 — Tuesday 
DAY THIRTY-NINE 


It took a few weeks to dissipate the unbearable tension between me and Jongin. Maybe through the help of our class together we became used to each other's presence — me asking help on some topics, and Jongin borrowing my notes. Maybe it was also that one time when he was called by Mr. Lee to answer his question when he was snoozing discreetly. Jongin was caught off guard, standing and scratching his head helplessly. Knowing Mr. Lee might flip on the whole class because of Jongin's unresponsiveness, I took the risk of giving Jongin the answer by writing it on the back of my notebook in big letters even though Mr. Lee might catch me. Jongin gives me a grateful smile after and mouths a thank you when he was off the hook.

With Jongin suddenly joining me on Tuesdays and Thursdays during lunch break, I learned more about him in our random conversations, excluding the calculus-related stuff that we already knew by now. His birthday is on January 14, 1994 — the same year as mine and his favorite color is blue. I wasn't even shocked when he mentioned he was a dancer back in his high school, mainly because of his built. Slowly, Jongin begins to loosen up in my presence. No more short replies, awkward eye contact, and uncomfortable silence. 

“You guys should visit our dorm soon.” Jongin says, smirking a little while placing his bag beside him. “The dorm misses the chaos you bring and so do the boys.” 

I kick his leg playfully under the table and he fake winces. “Says the one who didn't throw a fit when he lost on a stupid video game.” 

“That video game isn't stupid.” 

“Whatever.”

“But hey,” I start after a few minutes, blowing my kimchi stew. Jongin looks up with curious eyes, waiting for me to continue. “How come I never see you here before?” 

Jongin smiles coyly, picking up his spoon and fork. “I go straight to the dorm after our class.”

“Why?”

“I sleep.”

“Such a recluse.” I comment while raising an eyebrow. “But don't you starve?” 

Jongin chuckles lightly before shrugging. “Sometimes, but I grab some biscuits before heading to my next class.” 

“Thanks for giving me an idea.” I nod approvingly, sipping on my bowl of stew. “I should do that sometime.” 

Jongin bursts out laughing at this. 

Well , his laugh is cute. 


— 


“So, what are we going to do for Sehun's birthday?” 

I look up from the screen of my Macbook, giving Subin a blank look. “Hmm, probably something that will surprise the out of him.”

“What does Sehun despise the most?”

“A box of spiders?”

“Sounds like video-worthy but kinda lame.” 

“How about we make his roommate do a y dance.”

“Ew, what the hell? That sounds nasty, disturbing and traumatizing.”

“Isn't that what we're aiming for?”

“This is hopeless. Let's just bake a cake.” Subin suggests nonchalantly. I give her a bored expression. “Where's the creativity, Subin?” 

“Maybe when we decorate the cake?”

Suddenly, an idea pops into my head.

“I've got the perfect plan!” I say while snapping my fingers.

Subin quirks an eyebrow. “Spill.”

“We'll stick with the cake thing. Then let's put a balloon inside so when we let him slice the cake...” I trail off, grinning mischiev

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter