Friday Open Mic Night

In Between
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

MARCH 8, 2013 — Friday
DAY SEVEN 


The first week of classes already felt like a year. Of course, the professors seemed chill at first until they piled up worksheets due next week. Apparently, Mr. Lee wasn't impressed with our performance in the recitation yesterday that he gave us a three-paged homework, a total of 50 items, pure word problems. Just great. Hence, I am stuck in the library all alone on a Friday late afternoon while my friends are lazing around their dorms. 

I was busy writing the solution to question number five, listening to relaxing music on my earphones when a bunch of paper and notebook were placed in front of me. Startled, I look up to see Jongin standing in front of me, seeming like he just woke up. 

I'm pretty sure we all have that one friend who's fun to be with in a group, but when you two are left alone, you realize how much you don't really hang out with him/her one-on-one and the air suddenly turns awkward. That's how I feel around Jongin when it's just the two of us. I know I also don't hang out with the boys one-on-one but there's something with Jongin that makes me feel somehow intimidated by his presence and I can't pinpoint why.

“Hey.” He greets softly, his hand resting on the vacant chair in front of me. “You don't mind if I sit here right?” 

I kinda do. I shake my head. “Of course not.” 

Jongin flashes me a friendly smile as he sits down while I try to regain my focus on my paper.

“Calculus?” He gestures on the paper I'm currently writing on before placing his bag right beside him. 

I look up once again and find myself nodding along as he pulls out his notebook, pen, and papers. “Yeah.” 

“I'm probably just gonna answer twenty-five items today.” Jongin shrugs, wearing his earphones. 

I nod, slightly feeling awkward and stiff while the boy in front of me casually taps his fingers on the table before jotting down his answer on the paper. 

After two hours of being in our own worlds, Jongin decides to call it a night, looking worn out. “ it.” He whispers, practically throwing all his things at once inside the backpack. 

He stands up, about to leave but turns to me. “Are you still going to stay?” 

“Yeah.” I say, sounding tired as well. “Just a few more items.” 

“How many did you answer already?” 

“Around thirty, I think?” 

“I think that's already enough for a day.” He shrugs, gripping on the straps of his backpack. “Just continue that tomorrow. I'll join you.” 

I look at him hesitantly. “I don't-”

Suddenly, he gathers my papers that were scattered on the table into a neat pile and hands it to me with a lopsided smile. “Loosen up. It's a Friday.”

How could I say no to that? 


— 


Jongin insists me on heading straight to their dorm since it was closer to the library and the boys, as well as Subin, were already waiting for us in the Global House — the place where students can drink freely. I comply with a defeated sigh after our short exchange of arguments.

“Are you sure it's okay for me to leave this here?” I ask, placing my backpack by the couch reluctantly. Their dorm looks like it was newly cleaned. The last time I came here, it was totally like a dumpsite — pizza boxes everywhere, pillows scattered in the living room and the game consoles tangled together. 

“Yes, I'm one hundred percent sure.” Jongin answers, coming out from his room and looking at his phone with his eyebrows pulled together before beckoning me. “Let's go, Baek hyung keeps on texting me nonstop.” 

I laugh once. “Typical Baekhyun.” 



“Finally!” Subin exclaims the moment we sit on their table. “Took you guys forever!” 

I roll my eyes at Subin's exaggeration while the rest of them laughs. I take the seat beside Kyungsoo across Subin while Jongin sits on my other side. 

“Where's Junmyeon?” I ask after noticing there were only five boys. 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter