Sunday Repartee

In Between
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

SEPTEMBER 1, 2013 — Sunday
DAY ONE HUNDRED EIGHTY-FOUR

 

Staying at Jongin and Junmyeon’s grandparents’ house was surprisingly fun and fulfilling — we would spend our mornings tending the family’s vegetable plot, then discovering the Suncheon tourist attractions in the afternoon, and doing new activities every night. Last night while we were resting in the living room, it was set that we were going to watch the sunrise before we leave for Seoul in the afternoon.

It is nearly five in the morning when Sehun, Jongin, and I finally go out of the house to watch the sunrise by the lake. Subin and the other boys decided to ditch us the last minute, returning to their slumber when we were waking them up like what they have requested earlier. The three of us settle on the edge of the dock with our feet dangling – Sehun sitting in the middle while Jongin is on his right. The morning breeze gusting on our skin and the soft crashing of the waves filling in the silence of the village almost lulls me to sleep. Resting his head on my shoulder, Sehun yawns before asking sleepily, “How many minutes more?”

I unconsciously yawn as well while looking at my watch blankly, “Twenty minutes.”

Jongin groans softly while rubbing his sleepy eyes before blinking repeatedly at the view in front of us. “I should’ve just slept while we were waiting earlier.”

“I know, right?” I respond in agreement while flashing him a weak smile.

After a few minutes of tired yawns and leisure swinging of feet, a tiny orange dot finally becomes visible at the farthest end of the water. I shake both of their knees while they are snoozing on the wooden floor and say, “It’s here.”

Sehun and Jongin sit upright slowly, squinting their eyes as a tinge of orange fills up the sky.

“It’s lovely.” I mumble, eyes never leaving the sun as it eventually rises.

None of us speaks the entire time until the sun finally settles above with the clouds and gives light to the village. I let out a sigh of content, taking a glance at my company before my eyes land at the villagers from afar who seem to be preparing for today’s work.

“I’m gonna sleep for a second here.” Sehun announces, plopping his upper body down on the floor while putting his arm over his eyes. I stare as he did so before my eyes connect with Jongin’s who flashes me an affable smile. Smiling back, I look away first and occupy myself by gazing at the water. “I think this is only the second time I watched a sunrise.”

“Really?” Jongin asks, confounded. “I’ve watched the sunrise almost like a thousand times.”

I turn my head to him abruptly with an eyebrow raised. Now I’m surprised. “Really?”

“Yeah,” He responds good-naturedly while lifting his legs off the edge and crossing it together. “Why do you look so astounded?”

I just shrug nonchalantly and gaze at Sehun’s sleeping form on the floor. What an idiot.

“Sunrise or sunset?”

I lift my eyes off Sehun immediately, completely taken aback for the s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter