Wednesday Getaway

In Between
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

MAY 22, 2013 — Wednesday

DAY EIGHTY-TWO

 

From the hallway, I wince at the series of cacophony coming from the boys’ dorm. I couldn’t make out the muffled din they are making, but I’m sure Baekhyun is the one screaming at the moment.

“What the ,” I mutter in disbelief, looking at the neighboring dorms in case someone comes out and complains at the chaos. Subin merely sighs, knocking on the door, “What can we expect from these idiots?”

The noise pipes down for a second with Baekhyun’s voice saying Jongin get the door! to which Jongin responds with an I don’t want to. Subin scoffs in disdain, whereas I roll my eyes, taking a step forward and banging on their door. “Open up!”

Abruptly, the door opens to reveal a scowling Kyungsoo with an apron, emitting a don’t even ask aura. He closes the door the moment we step in before proceeding to the living room and kicking Chanyeol’s leg, who was completely defenseless. I laugh out loud at Chanyeol who is howling in pain, crying out a what the did I do? Nonetheless, he recovers immediately, dancing randomly to the music once again along with Baekhyun.

“Happy birthday Junmyeon!” Subin greets once she spots the birthday boy by the end of the couch. Junmyeon stands up to thank Subin and returns the friendly hug. I follow afterward, handing him a present with a sheepish smile. “I know this isn’t enough to repay everything you’ve done for us. Thanks for tolerating us and our asses. I hope you keep inspiring other people with your kindness. Happy birthday.”

“That’s really sweet, Soojin.” Junmyeon exhales with a grateful smile. “Thank you.”

I smile back at him before sitting next to Jongin who is laughing at Chanyeol and Baekhyun. The duo is dancing vigorously to the beat, although seeming like drunk bastards. As they push each other, I start to wonder how on earth are they this lively despite the classes earlier. I, on the other hand, am fighting the urge to sleep on the spot just because it’s Junmyeon’s birthday party.

Kyungsoo pops out from the pantry, preparing the paper plates on the table. Subin follows after a moment, placing the newly-cooked bowl of pasta on the center of the table and a box of wings from a fast food chain (Yeah, Jongin is the happiest). Just like that, the boys surround the area in an instant, exclaiming some ooh’s at the sight.

“Happy birthday Junmyeon hyung!” Baekhyun shouts happily, digging into his plate of pasta after we sang Junmyeon a happy birthday. Chanyeol plops down on the seat to my right, his plate equally full of pasta and wings.


 


 

“Banpo bridge is beautiful,” Chanyeol tells me fervidly as we walk towards the park near the said bridge. Chanyeol and I are leading the way, followed closely by Jongin, Subin, and Sehun, then Baekhyun, Kyungsoo, and Junmyeon. I decide to , giving him a doubting look, my hands inside the pocket of my hoodie and hood over my head. Chanyeol frowns upon my reaction, unconsciously pouting a little as he says, “I swear. It’s really beautiful especially at night.”

I chuckle at his enthusiasm, shaking my head as we stop on the sidewalk, waiting for the pedestrian sign to turn green. “I’m just teasing you, Chanyeol. I saw some pictures of it back in my hometown.” I nod my head, “Yeah, it’s beautiful.”

Chanyeol smiles, satisfied that I finally agree with him.

As we cross the road with a small crowd, it seems like the buddy system has changed somewhere in between. Baekhyun catches up with Chanyeol to show him something on his phone while pulling Subin along with him. I raise an eyebrow at the scene in front of me. Subin tries to act normal, but I can see the etch of discomfort on her face as Baekhyun casually puts his arm around her. Jongin walks next to me quietly, his gaze focused on the streets we are passing by. Behind us, Sehun laughs loudly as he, Junmyeon, and Kyungsoo engage in a conversation.

“Day or night?”

Caught off guard, I utter a huh? before chuckling at Jongin, his question finally sinking in. “Night, no doubt.”

“Why?”

“I think I don’t remember further interrogation in the mechanics of my game.”

“Okay then, gamemaster.” Jongin rolls his eyes. “Daegu or Seoul?”

I smile at the thought. “I love my hometown because I grew up there with Sehun, but,” I pause, my mind wandering off to the boys in front of me as well as my roommate. “Seoul might be just as amazing because I met you guys. I guess I can’t choose because they’re both close to my heart. I don’t know, it feels like I’m choosing between food and water.”

Jongin eyes soften as he looks at me with a smile, “Sehun must be so important to you, huh.”

“You have no idea.” I exhale. “He’s dumb and yeah, he’s my dumb b

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter