Aux Calendes Grecques (Baekhyun + Chanyeol)

La Petite Mort
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

April, 11, 2015 (Doctor/Patient Confidentiality).

 

“So, Baekhyun, why do you think you're here?” It's another sunny day that Baekhyun has to opt for therapy instead of going outside. It's not that he particularly enjoys going outside, but when you spend most of your days inside; you take what you can get. Chanyeol looks pensive with his glasses sitting on the tip of his nose, and Baekhyun almost forgets that the man before him is only a few years older than him.

“I see dead people.”

“That's neither funny nor entertaining.” Chanyeol's right, it's not entertaining, but it is funny. It's obvious to Baekhyun that Chanyeol is trying to stifle a smile. This type of banter between them isn't unusual. They both know why Baekhyun is in the institution; Chanyeol rereads his file every time they sit together in the tiny room they're designated to.

“I think I'm here because my mother found a way out of neglect charges.”

“Baekhyun, I thought we talked about blaming others for your placement in life.”

“Right. The ever evolutionary epiphany.” He doesn't mean to be bitter, but the entire thought of self acceptance of any kind seems like bull.

“Do you want to tell me why you did it?” Chanyeol seems timid in asking this question, and he should be. He asks the same question every time he and Baekhyun have therapy.

“Why do you say it, Mr. Park? We both know what I did. I burned down my house. Well, I tried to.”

“Are we avoiding the question again today, Mr. Byun?”

“You know, they say that psychiatrists are often more ed up than their patients. Crazy makes you crazy, huh?”

“Baekhyun, this little game you play grows tiring. If you don't want to cooperate then we can perhaps move on another day. Do you know why you've been in here for six years, Baekhyun? It's not your mother's fault. It's yours. You could have been out of this place in a month, but here we are six years later and we still can't get past the first phase of treatment. You complain about getting out of here, but you're holding yourself back on purpose. Why?” It's the first time Chanyeol doesn't bite his tongue about Baekhyun's snappy behavior, and they're both thrown by it. Chanyeol looks apologetic at his tone, but he doesn't take back his words.

“I'm afraid.”

“Of what?”

“Being alone, mostly. It also wouldn't be a lie if I said I was afraid of the dark. Honestly, sometimes I wish I could create light just so I'd never have to be in the dark.” Baekhyun expects for Chanyeol to continue with his chastising, but he doesn't. When Baekhyun looks up, Chanyeol is packing his suitcase and grabbing his coat.

“Hey, where are you going?”

“C'mon,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter