The White Commander

Black & White
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Take me to Luhan!” demanded Kyungsoo as he was escorted, rather forcibly, by a group of soldiers towards the meeting hall. They released him soon after crossing the threshold and locking the heavy doors. The uniformed leaders seated around the long table stood up at once to acknowledge his presence.

“General!” exclaimed the little prince as he marched towards the head of the table. “I demand an explanation for this indecency!”

Suho initiated a bow but stopped himself midway, hesitantly lifting his head. “I apologize, sir, but your safety is of utmost importance, given the circumstances.”

“What circumstances?” asked Kyungsoo, turning his gaze towards the empty throne. “Where is Luhan?”

Suho hesitated.

Kyungsoo could feel his pulse hasten as he panned the room, secretly hoping Luhan was playing another one of his practical jokes. His heart sank when he saw Sehun standing in a corner, sadness etched in his face.

“Your highness,” spoke Lord Kim loudly, “I’m afraid the Prince has been abducted by the Black Spy.”

The words hit Kyungsoo like a brick wall, knocking the breath out of his lungs. He was in a daze when he felt a gentle hand lead him to his seat at the right of the throne.

Admiral Park sat down beside him and gripped his shoulder. “We have deployed several scouting ships, my lord.”

“And the cavalry are already in pursuit of the Black horsemen,” added Suho as he took his own seat on the other side of the empty throne.

“Why are you telling me all of this?” asked Kyungsoo.

Suho looked at him remorsefully. “In Prince Luhan’s absence, my lord, you hold the title of the White Commander. A message has been sent to the Port City, to your father, but until he sends his orders, we are under your command.”

“You have got to be kidding me,” replied Kyungsoo, burying his face in his hands.

“It is the responsibility that comes with your title,” replied Lord Kim pompously. “Perhaps you should take the throne.”

Kyungsoo glared at him, fire in his eyes. “If you mention that throne one more time, my first command will be to exile you from this Kingdom.”

“Sir!” cried Suho, in a startled tone. “Lord Kim is our senior most royal advisor.”

“WAS IT NOT HIS SON THAT BETRAYED MY UNCLE?” yelled Kyungsoo. “AND NOW THAT SAME SON HAS KIDNAPPED MY COUSIN! I HAVE EVERY RIGHT TO BE ANGRY WITH HIM.”

“The Black Spy is no son of mine,” replied Lord Kim quite calmly. “I want nothing more than to kill him myself.”

The silence that followed inundated the room until it was broken by some shuffling from the corner. As Kyungsoo turned in that direction, he saw Sehun walking towards him.

“Permission to speak, my lord?” asked the White Messenger as he stood resolutely beside the throne.

D.O. nodded silently, staring up at Sehun’s determined face.

“I wish to go to the Black City.”

“Messenger!” interjected Suho. “This is not the time or place to be discussing this.”

Kyungsoo held up his hand and the General was silenced at once. “Let him speak.”

“I was assigned to protect Prince Luhan,” continued Sehun, staring down at the floor as he spoke. “I want to complete my assignment. I will go alone if you cannot spare any men.”

“You cannot just walk into the Black City, Sehun,” piped up Chanyeol. “It is heavily guarded at every entrance. It's only weakness is at the West Gate, which borders the Blue River. But even my entire fleet would not be able to secure your safety.”

“And even if you did somehow manage to make it through the outer defenses,” added Suho, “it would be practically impossible to get into the castle. We need to come up with a more rational plan. I do not feel that we have the numbers to rescue the Prince with brute force alone.”

“So what exactly do you suggest?” asked Kyungsoo. “We can’t just abandon him.”

“Perhaps,” said Lord Kim, “for now it would be best to await word from the Black King. We may be able to negotiate with him.”

The anger was evident in Kyungsoo’s face. “You expect us to give in to their demands? I will not leave my cousin to be tortured in a dungeon while we sit here and discuss what is most convenient for ourselves!”

“We should at least wait for your father’s decision, my lord,” replied Lord Kim.

“You will do as I say!”

“Sir,” said Suho softly, “with all due respect, you are not trained to lead our forces.”

“I will leave the tactical decisions to you, General,” replied Kyungsoo. “But the decision to act is mine alone. And I have already made up my mind.”

The small prince stood abruptly from his seat, forcing the others around the table to follow suit. He stepped in front of the messenger, whose head was still bowed.

“Sehun, I am coming with you.”

The room fell silent once more as everyone stared incredulously in Kyungsoo’s direction, everyone except Sehun, who had not lifted his gaze.

“Admiral Park will order the remainder of his fleet to create a diversion at the Black City’s West Gate,” continued Kyungsoo, “while General Suho will lead his troops towards the South Gate. When both the Black Army and the Black Navy are engaged in battle, Sehun and I will sneak into the city and rescue Luhan.”

“My lord!” exclaimed Suho, “we cannot allow you to endanger your life like this! Nor can we spare our entire military! Who will protect our city? Our people?”

“What

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter