The Black King

Black & White
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Pre-Chapter A/N: Thank you everyone for reading, subscribing, upvoting, and leaving comments. I really appreciate any and all feedback, and I especially love hearing readers' theories about the plot. I've already outlined the rest of this fic (including the ending O_O) and I'm starting to write the remaining chapters (currently there are 11 planned, but that could change depending on how much I can fit into each one... maybe 12 would be better... OT12 T_T). I'm not sure exactly how long it will take to finish, but I will do my best. Hwaiting!

 

...

 

The White Prince slept peacefully beneath the Black Spy’s cloak. Kai had been holding the thin boy against his chest for hours, allowing his body to provide Luhan with some much needed warmth.

The sudden snapping of a twig startled the two awake.

“Quiet,” whispered Kai as he pulled the two of them to their feet. “Stay close.”

Luhan wrapped his arms tightly around Kai’s waist as they stood motionless beside a large tree trunk.

“I must say, Kai,” spoke a deep voice from behind, “you have outdone yourself this time.”

As the two whipped around, Luhan made out a tall hooded figure, dressed in black, walking slowly towards them.

Kai held the Prince tightly in place, preventing him from moving.

“There is no point in struggling,” continued the unfamiliar voice, “you cannot escape.”

As if on cue, fiery torches lit up the area. Luhan felt his heart skip a beat when he saw a circle of heavily armed Black soldiers closing in on them, swords drawn.

The mysterious figure stopped just short of arms reach before removing his hood.

Kai broke free from Luhan at once and fell to one knee, head bowed. “I only did what you asked of me, your majesty.”

“Though I had no doubt that you would succeed,” replied the Black King, “I did not think you would be able to convince the White Prince so easily.”

Luhan struggled to breathe as he stared down at the kneeling figure. “No!” he gasped, stumbling backwards.

“Or perhaps,” continued Kris, turning his gaze towards Luhan, “his royal highness has not learned from his parents’ mistakes.”

“NO!” This time the Prince’s agonizing cry echoed around the Black Forest.

Before he knew it, Luhan was being manhandled from behind. Several soldiers were fighting to pin him down while others bound his arms and legs.

“Careful,” said Kris casually as he walked away, “we wouldn’t want to harm our royal guest.”

Kai got to his feet immediately and turned to look down at the White Prince.

“I TRUSTED YOU!” yelled Luhan, tears bursting from his eyes as he stared up at the Black Spy.

Kai stared back silently for a few seconds with a blank expression. He then walked away towards the nearby tree where his horse was tied and rode off into the darkness.

Before Luhan could make any more noise, he was gagged and blindfolded.

“Put him to sleep,” called out the Black King from a distance. “He’ll be easier to carry that way.”

---

Luhan awoke to find himself shivering in a dark, unfamiliar place. His arms and legs were no longer tied, but deep marks left behind by the restraints were still visible on his otherwise fair skin. As his eyes adjusted to the blackness, he sat up on the rather uncomfortable bed and looked around to take in his surroundings. The windowless cell was bordered by thick black walls of brick. The only light was coming from beyond the closely spaced metal bars of the gate, locked securely by heavy metal chains. The only sounds were coming from occasional footsteps in the distance and the constant dripping of water from the ceiling. The Prince was still dressed in his royal attire, his normally pristine white cloak marred with dirt stains.

Pulling his knees to his chest, Luhan curled up as tightly as he could to conserve heat. He longed to be back home, in his own quarters. Memories of Kai’s warmth haunted his thoughts, the wounds of betrayal still fresh on his aching heart. I shouldn’t have told Sehun to leave, he thought to himself.

A part of him wanted to yell, not caring what it may lead to. The isolation was already becoming unbearable. Fighting back tears, he wished silently for death to end his pain.

“Your presence is requested by the King.”

The voice aroused Luhan from his bleak ruminations. He looked up to see a rather thin young guard eyeing him through the gate.

Avoiding the Prince’s gaze, the boy in black began to shuffle with a ring of keys. Luhan stayed on his bed as the guard opened the gate and entered the prison.

“You must follow me,” said the boy rather

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter