The White Knight

Black & White
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Can you see anything out there?” asked Luhan, turning his gaze towards Chen.

Chen continued to stare out of the second story window, keeping his eyes away from his two companions, who were huddled together on the edge of the bed. “It’s darker than usual. I don’t see any townspeople.”

“And what about any of your fellow soldiers?”

Chen closed his eyes, almost as if the question had caused him physical pain. “I am no longer a Black Soldier, my lord.”

Luhan noticed the hurt in his voice and calculated his next question carefully. “But if you were, how would you respond to everything you’ve just heard?”

Chen sighed. “I suppose my allegiance would remain with the Black King. It would be my duty to protect him from any external threat.”

“And what if your military leaders commanded you to betray the Black King and swear your loyalty to the White Spy?”

Chen considered the question for a moment. “I don’t think all Black Soldiers would respond the same way. Some would remain true to the King. Some would follow their commander’s orders.”

Luhan continued to press the issue. “But what would you do?”

“I would not fight against my own people,” replied Chen eventually.

Luhan smiled sadly. “I thought so.”

“What are you getting at?” asked Kai, taking Luhan’s hand and gripping it softly.

The Prince took a deep breath before explaining. “It all makes sense now. Your father knows if he destroys both royal families, he can unify the Black and White militaries under the facade of peace. And he who controls both militaries rules the world. It seems that’s been his plan all along.”

Luhan paused to let his words sink in, but realized that both Kai and Chen were waiting for him to continue, so he did. “After my parents were killed, Lord Kim convinced my uncle to send all of our senior military leaders to go to war. Most of them died in battle. The Black King and Queen were also killed, leaving behind an orphan Black Prince, who could easily be manipulated by his own Advisors. I too may have been just as easily manipulated, but my uncle’s family protected me. Kyungsoo’s father insisted that I was too young to be crowned King. But the White Military had been crippled, its leaders replaced by younger officers, who were inexperienced and easy to influence. Suho was promoted to General, and Chanyeol was promoted to Admiral. I guess I was lucky since they were my friends. But now that I think about it, the Council of Advisors has always used its power to perpetuate this fabricated rivalry between Black and White. I used to get angry with Suho for always being so obsessed with the war. Now I finally understand who was pulling his strings. By continuing their warmongering, the Advisors have retained their hidden control over us. Now, Lord Kim plans to save the world from a war that he himself orchestrated. Just like Chen said, neither the White Soldiers nor the Black Soldiers will want the fighting to continue, especially if it means killing their own compatriots. And so, Lord Kim’s plan for world domination will be complete. He will become the new Emperor by overthrowing both monarchies and unifying Black and White. That must be his plan.”

“So what should we do, my lord?” asked Chen meekly.

Luhan’s expression became etched with determination. “We must find the others and together, explode the truth onto the world. We must reveal Lord Kim’s treachery, before he has a chance to spin his own tale.”

Without warning, Kai released Luhan’s hand and stood up, gritting his teeth as he did so to absorb the pain from his wounds. “There’s something I haven’t told you.”

Luhan followed after him as he walked towards the window. “What is it?”

“My father is not the only traitor in this war.”

“What do you mean?” asked Luhan, stopping dead in his tracks, eyes darting instinctively towards Chen, who had turned from the window to stare at the Black Spy.

“Byun Baekhyun is alive.” Kai’s words were followed by an eerie silence.

Luhan’s eyes widened as he stared incredulously at the Black Spy. “Baekhyun?” he gasped eventually. “Captain of the Port City Fleet?”

Kai nodded, a look of concern filling his face as images of the forest ambush flashed through his memories. “He is now known as the Black Captain.”

Luhan felt his breath leave him altogether. “He betrayed us?”

Kai shook his head. “I can’t be sure. He was captured during his raid of the Black Armada.”

In an attempt to steady himself, Luhan stepped backwards and took a seat on the edge of the bed. “We were told that he had been killed.”

“Who told you?” asked Kai, approaching him slowly.

Luhan closed his eyes, struggling to bring back the traumatic memories he had suppressed for so many years. “It was just common knowledge. There was no debate.”

Kai took a seat beside the Prince. “It was just part of the elaborate lie, Luhan. Don’t you see? My father made you believe all those things. None of it was true.”

Luhan looked down into his lap, ashamed of his foolishness. “Have you spoken to him?”

“Spoken to who?” asked Kai.

“Baekhyun.”

Kai nodded. “I had only seen him from afar during Council meetings. He was never allowed to be a part of the inner circle. Maybe it was because he hadn’t proven his trustworthiness. Still, he was given a Navy ship to captain. After I had captured you and handed you over to the Black King, he found me and sent me on a secret mission. He asked me to kidnap Prince Kyungsoo and… one other person.”

“Who?!”

“Oh Sehun.”

Luhan felt his heart fall into his stomach. “And did you?”

Kai reached out to hold Luhan’s hand once more. “I did. My men and I ambushed them in the forest. They were with General Suho’s army, on their way to rescue you from the Black Kingdom. I took them across the Blue River in a small boat, to Baekhyun’s ship.”

Luhan felt warm tears flood his eyes. “Why would you do that? You know how much they mean to me.”

Kai squeezed Luhan’s fingers, begging him to understand. “I had no choice. It might not make any sense right now, but you have to believe me. I had to maintain my cover, so that I could save you. I decided to follow my instincts. I realized the two of them would be safer with Baekhyun than with your own army.”

Luhan used his free hand to wipe away the tears. “How can you possibly know that?”

“It was something Baekhyun said when he gave me this assignment. He reiterated over and over again that Prince Kyungsoo and Sehun were not to be harmed. He told me it was of utmost importance. He looked me in the eyes, Luhan, and I saw the truth. I think he might still be on your side.”

“Might? You sacrificed my cousin and my best friend based solely on a whim?”

“Don’t forget, I also handed you over to the Black King. It was for the same reason, Luhan. Because I knew all three of you would be safer in the hands of the Black Empire than you would in your own Kingdom. My father is more dangerous than even your sworn enemies. Prince Kyungsoo and Sehun would’ve been killed if they had stayed with the White Army! I had to take the chance!”

Luhan got ahold of himself. “Does Baekhyun know that you are still loyal to me?”

“No, I’ve only told you,” replied Kai. “And your Guard,” he added, turning towards Chen, who remained frozen by the window.

Luhan took a deep breath, struggling to swallow this harsh new reality. “The Black Soldiers came looking for us, while you were saving Chen. I hid in the attic, but I heard them interrogating the innkeeper. He told them you had been here, Jongin. They must’ve figured it out by now. They must know you’ve betrayed them.”

Kai nodded. “I think so too. I had to fight several of them off when I was rescuing Chen. That’s how I got these injuries. I’m pretty sure I can’t use my cover anymore. I’m now an enemy of both sides.” Kai got to his feet once more. “We can’t stay here, Luhan. They’ll come back to search for me again. I’ll take you somewhere safe. From there we can plan our next move.”

Luhan stood up beside him and allowed him to use his shoulders as a crutch. “You can’t ride horseback with your wounds so fresh.”

“I’ll be fine,” re

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter