The White Crown

Black & White
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Luhan’s white cloak billowed effortlessly in the winter wind as he walked alone across the blood stained path. The tall trees lining the courtyard were bare, stripped of their colorful leaves by the unforgiving cold.

“My lord!” called out a young guard just as Luhan reached the towering flagpole at the center of the square.

Luhan turned around quickly in a blur of twirling white cloth.

Jeno reflexively fell to one knee at the regal sight. It was only moments later that he realized who he had stumbled upon. “Your majesty?!”

“Do I know you?” asked Luhan, walking towards the boy, against his better judgment.

Jeno could hardly breathe let alone respond coherently. “No, my lord,” he spluttered eventually, unable to maintain eye contact with the apparition.

“What are you doing here?”

“General Suho… he asked me help evacuate the castle. I think…”

Luhan eyed the boy carefully. “You don’t sound too certain.”

Jeno shook his head as if to knock some sense into himself. “I… I must’ve lost my mind. How can you be real? You were killed!”

“There isn’t much time to explain,” replied Luhan, crouching down beside Jeno. “Can I trust you?”

“Have you come back to help us?”

Luhan reached out and ruffled the guard’s jet black hair, as if to convince the boy that he was not just a hallucination. “No. It is you who must help me.”

“What?!”

“I need you to do something for me. Something very important.”

“Anything, my lord!”

Luhan took Jeno by the forearm and pulled him up to his feet. “Go to the throne room and recover the White Crown. Take it to the top of the North Tower and wait for me there.”

“But my lord! I don’t even have permission to enter the throne room, let alone steal the Crown!”

“It is my Crown. I am granting you permission.”

Without any further hesitation, Jeno bowed deeply and rushed back towards the castle.

Luhan pulled off his cloak and walked towards the center of the square. He hastily tied the white fabric to the flagpole and hoisted it up. Within seconds, battle horns sounded from the Southern gate, calling all remaining soldiers to return to their posts.

“What took you so long?” demanded Kyungsoo, rushing towards Luhan as soon as he entered the King’s quarters. “I swear if you had taken any longer, I would’ve sent out a search party to look for you! This is the last time I give in to your ridiculous suggestions!”

Luhan bypassed his cousin and immediately walked towards Kai. “Jongin-ah,” he whispered, pulling the boy into an unexpected embrace. “I need your sword.”

“Why?” asked the Black Knight, allowing Luhan’s warmth to evaporate his anxiety.

As the two pulled apart, Luhan brought his lips to Kai’s cheek before responding. “Just trust me, okay?”

Too flustered to argue, Kai handed over the dragon-hilted sword without another word.

“You must take Kyungsoo and Sehun away from the White City,” instructed Luhan, quietly so that nobody else would overhear.

Kai instinctively grabbed onto Luhan’s free hand. “And what about you?!”

“There’s something I must do. You have to keep them away. They won’t like it, but it’s important.”

“At least let me come with you!”

“It’s too dangerous, Jongin-ah.”

“That’s exactly why you’ll need my protection!”

Luhan shook his head. “I can’t be killed so easily anymore, remember? They need your protection more than I do.”

“Don’t underestimate my father, Luhan! He won’t stop until he finds a way to defeat you. What if he’s also figured it out? What if he instructs his men to shoot you with a Black arrow? Our entire plan could backfire!”

“We’ve wasted enough time,” interrupted Chanyeol, stepping forward, dragging Kyungsoo and Suho along with him. “We have to leave. Now!”

“I’m not coming with you,” replied Luhan, looking instinctively in Sehun’s direction.

The White Knight looked back at him expressionlessly, like a statue.

“Jongin will lead you to the Black City,” explained Luhan, deliberately keeping his voice calm. “Once there, you must gather as many archers as you can find and prepare them for battle. Lord Kim will be bringing an immense army, and he won’t be an easy target.”

“How do we even know he’ll come?” asked Suho, breaking free from Chanyeol’s hold. “What if he decides to stay here, in the White City?”

“He will follow us,” replied Kai softly, knowing his father far too well. “He will want to ensure that we’re killed.”

Luhan placed a hand on the Black Knight’s shoulder. “You understand now, don’t you Jongin?”

“You’re using us as bait!” interrupted Kyungsoo, angrily pushing his way through the others so that he was face to face with his cousin. “And won’t even tell us where you’re running off to!”

“If I wanted to run away from everything, I would never have come back from the afterlife. If even that is not enough for you, then perhaps nothing ever will be. I’m through arguing with you, Kyungsoo. Do whatever you want, and I will do what I must. Chanyeol is right. We’ve wasted enough time.” Without another word, Luhan turned around and walked away.

Sehun made to follow after him, but Kai kept him from getting very far.

“No, Sehun-ah,” pleaded the Black Knight, grasping his hand tightly. “Let him go.”

“That fiend!” yelled Chen, writhing against t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter