The Black Curse

Black & White
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"I'm afraid I don't know the way, my lord," explained Suho cautiously, eyes scanning the surrounding area, making sure there were no enemies nearby.

"And you?" asked the King, turning up to look at Sehun. "Do you know of some fairy tale that will tell us how to get to the Black Mountain?"

The White Knight shook his head, but his gaze remained fixed on the burning flag in the distance, which was engulfed in Blue flames.

"What is it, Sehun-ah?" questioned Suho, pulling his horse a little closer so that he could reach out and rub his old messenger's back.

Sehun could feel the warmth of the flames rising up inside of him, as if they were simultaneously calling out for him and pushing him away. "I feel cursed."

"Don't we all," replied Kyungsoo sarcastically, rolling his eyes. "This whole situation is a curse. Maybe we should go to Mine City and find an exorcist."

But Sehun was neither amused nor comforted. Something powerful was brewing inside of him, taking over his soul. Something he couldn't put into words. "I think you're right. We should go to Mine City."

Kyungsoo nearly choked on his own spit as he muffled an incredulous laugh. "Please tell me you're joking."

"General," said Sehun, ignoring the King's dismissiveness. "Maybe it would be safer if I go on my own. I can sneak in and try to find some locals that might help us find our way. Kai told us the owner of the Inn would help us if we mentioned the Black Spy. Maybe he'll know of a safe route to the mountains."

Before Suho had a chance to respond, Kyungsoo interjected. "Absolutely not. I refuse to let us split up any further. One by one, each of you fools is leaving my side to go on your own haphazard adventures. And here we were, standing in a blizzard, with nothing to show for it. What good have any of your useless ideas accomplished so far?"

The White Knight released Kyungsoo's waist and skillfully jumped off the stallion. "This is not something I can explain. It's just a feeling. I think it has something to do with Black Magic. That dragon-hilted sword I used, it's like... it's a part of me now. Maybe because I used it to kill Lord Kim. It feels it's poison running through my veins."

"That sword is protecting Luhan's soul," answered Suho, eyeing Sehun carefully. "It can't be evil."

Sehun disagreed. "It's also protecting Lord Kim's soul. It must be destroyed. Coming back from the dead is not something natural. I think Luhan knows that. He wouldn't leave us to destroy it if he had any other choice." 

"And what exactly does any of that have to do with going on a suicide mission to Mine City?" interrupted Kyungsoo, attempting clumsily to climb off the horse.

Sehun caught the small King before he toppled to the ground. "That Blue flame is calling to me. I think I'm meant to..." His voice faded away. Suddenly, the White Knight felt a searing pain run through every inch of his body, like a lightning bolt. He fell to the ground, unable to bear the sensation.

Kyungsoo struggled to hold the much taller boy upright, but ended up falling down with him. Suho jumped off his own horse and immediately came to their aid.

"He's burning up, Suho!" yelled Kyungsoo, frantically trying to undo the numerous buttons and ties on the White Knight's uniform. 

Suho instinctively reached down and used all the strength he could muster to lift Sehun's body into his arms. He unceremoniously draped the boy onto his horse's saddle, climbing on behind him. "We have to get him out of here!" he called out. "You'll have to ride on your own, my lord. Follow me!"

Kyungsoo looked down at his own palms, which had turne

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter