The White King (III)

Black & White
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The Black Spy's dark cloak billowed effortlessly in the winter wind as he stood outside the wide open gates of the throne room. Gripping the dragon-hilted sword of the Black King firmly in his hands, Kai took one last deep breath before marching through the entrance. The ornate White marble hall was silent save for the echos of his steady footsteps. 

"Why did you come here Jongin-ah?" came a melodic voice from the far end of the room. 

"You know why!" yelled Kai, masking his pain with an angry tone. 

"I thought you loved me," came a much more gentle reply from the distant throne. 

"Stop it!"

"Stop what Jongin-ah?"

"Stop calling me that! That name! It means nothing to me anymore! I am the Black Spy!"

"Alright then, 'Black Spy,' why did you come here?"

Kai lifted his sword so that the old crusted blood on its blade became visible. "To finish what my father started."

In a blur of twirling white cloth, Luhan suddenly arose from his seat and pulled open the front of his robes. "You mean this?" he asked, looking down at the large wound on his bare chest. 

Despite all his efforts, Kai crumpled to his knees at the terrible sight. "You were supposed to die!" he cried, eyes filling up with stinging tears. 

"If I remember correctly, Jongin-ah, it was your turn to die. Your father said so himself as he prepared to strike. I was the one who saved you from that fate. And this is how you repay me?"

"That's not what I meant and you know it! My father only tried to kill me because I joined forces with you! None of this would have happened if I didn't..." Kai couldn't complete his thought. 

"If you didn't what?" asked Luhan softly, taking a seat at the top of the steps so that he was just out of Kai's reach. 

"Why are you tormenting me like this? Just die already!"

"Kill me then, Jongin-ah. I'm only a few inches away. You can do it!"

"And then what? What will I do after that?"

Luhan smiled. "You will take your father's place, as Emperor of the Black and White Kingdoms."

"And the others?" asked Kai, gathering the strength to slowly get to his feet.

"You will gain their trust, just as you had once gained mine.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter