The Blue Invasion

Black & White
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Admiral!” called out a young troop leader from the doorway of the bridge.

Baekhyun, who was standing beside the flagship’s helmsman, did not immediately respond. He had grown far too accustomed to being known as ‘Captain,’ so much so that the sound of his new title did not always register.

“Sir!” exclaimed Minhyung, a relatively small sailor that Baekhyun himself had chosen to steer the ship. “Jaemin is calling for you!”

Baekhyun snapped out of his ruminations at once. “What is it?” he asked, maintaining a casual tone of voice in order to hide his inner trepidation. The newly appointed Admiral did not feel at all prepared to lead the Black Navy’s formidable fleet. But Kyungsoo had insisted, and deep down, Baekhyun knew there was no one else qualified for the job.

Jaemin saluted the Admiral as soon as the two made eye contact. “A distress signal has been sighted, sir. Coming from the riverbanks.”

“What kind of a distress signal?”

“Black arrows! From the South! I’ve sent a scout to gather more information!”

Baekhyun approached the troop leader with a heightened sense of urgency. “Which sailor?”

Jaemin hesitated.

“WHICH SAILOR!” repeated Baekhyun, losing his cool all at once.

“Park Jisung,” replied Jaemin rather meekly. “Our youngest.”

Baekhyun felt the blood rush up into his face. “Alone?!”

Jaemin nodded quietly, realizing he must have made a mistake.

“Well don’t just stand there! Send a group of men after him! NOW! What if he’s captured by enemy combatants?!”

Jaemin saluted once more and immediately left the bridge to carry out his orders.

“With all due respect admiral,” interrupted the helmsman from the steering wheel, “is all that really necessary for just one sailor?”

Baekhyun furrowed his eyebrows in anger. “There’s no such thing as ‘just one sailor.’ On my ship, we value every life, no matter how insignificant it may seem to you. Set our course for the riverbanks at once!”

Realizing he had touched a nerve, Minhyung did as he was told without any further argument. “I’m sorry, sir. I did not mean to question your authority.”

“This isn’t a question of authority,” replied Baekhyun rather firmly. “It’s a matter of principle. True leaders are willing to die for their subordinates. I would do the same if it was your life on the line, and I would hope you would do the same for me.”

“We must return to the White City!” commanded Chen from atop his brown mare as he rode along the western border of the forest.

“But sir,” replied the senior lieutenant riding alongside him, “the King ordered us to return to the Black Castle.”

Chen turned his gaze upward once more, where black puffs of smoke were still visible above the Southern horizon. “I am well aware of our mission, lieutenant!” he replied in a powerful voice. “But the White City is calling for aid, and I have every intention of answering.”

“Those Black arrows could just as easily be a trap set up by rebel soldiers,” answered the lieutenant, making no effort to hide the scorn clearly written on his face. “Perhaps it would be wiser to send a scout?”

Having suffered more than enough at the hands of various Black Army leaders in recent weeks, Chen lost his patience altogether and drew his sword. “You are speaking to the General, lieutenant! If you are unable to carry out a direct order, I will have you charged with treason! Do I make myself absolutely clear?”

“BLACK SAILS!” yelled a nearby soldier, before the stunned lieutenant had a chance to respond.

Chen turned towards the Blue River and recognized the Black flagship, anchored just beyond the shoreline. Without warning, he spurred his horse into a gallop towards the site where several smaller boats were making landfall. His men had no choice but to follow.

“Where is your Captain?” demanded Chen, jumping off his horse and approaching the nearest Black sailor.

Jisung bowed out of respect. “Admiral Byun is Captain of our ship, General.”

Chen realized his mistake. He too was accustomed to calling Baekhyun ‘Captain’ rather than ‘Admiral.’ “Right! Where is he? And what are you all doing here?”

“He is on the bridge, sir. We came to answer your distress signal!”

Chen took Jisung by the arm and dragged him to the nearest boat. “What is your name?”

“Park Jisung.”

“And what is your rank?”

Jisung’s eyes widened. “I… I don’t really have a rank, sir. I am just a scout.”

“That is a rank!” replied Chen, “And an honorable one!”

Jisung awkwardly stood beside the boat, unsure of what to say or do next.

Chen couldn’t help but feel an odd sense of sympathy for the inexperienced young sailor, who reminded him so much of himself. “Scout Jisung, would you please take me to the Admiral?”

Jisung nodded and immediately jumped into the boat, relieved at having something to do that did not involve answering difficult questions.

Just as they were about to depart, the lieutenant rode towards them on horseback. “General! What are your orders?”

“I am to meet with the Admiral on the flagship. Lead your men towards the distress signal. Approach with caution and gather information. Do not engage in battle unless you are attacked. If all goes well, we will rendezvous at the West Dock of the White City.”

“If all goes well?” asked the lieutenant, the disdain evident in his voice. “We have no idea what we are facing or how many men we might need! That is why we should first send a scout!”

Chen’s face turned an angry shade of red. “YOU ARE THE ING SCOUT!”

“Excuse me?” replied the lieutenant, taken aback.

“I am stripping you of your rank. This young sailor here, Park Jisung, he is my new senior lieutenant.”

The lieutenant’s eyes nearly burst from their sockets. “You have got to be kidding me. He’s not even in the Army!”

Without warning, Jisung stood up and brandished his sword. “You will not disobey the General!”

The lieutenant stared down at the tip of the blade, which was inches from his heart, and begrudgingly acquiesced. “As you wish,” he answered rather rudely, before turning around and marc

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter