The Gray Winter

Black & White
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“I’m fine!” replied Kai, angrily brushing away Sehun’s hand.

Sehun continued to stare down at Kai’s torso, at the site of his previous injury. “Why won’t you just let Yixing take a look at it! What if it’s infected or something?”

“I think I would be dead by now if it was infected.”

Sehun looked slightly traumatized by that response. “Don’t say that,” he answered with a frown.

Kai finished donning his black cloak before placing a gentle hand on his friend’s shoulder. “Listen. It was just a nightmare. That’s all. I woke up, and I was confused. I’m not slowly dying of some infection and I’m not going insane, so you can stop worrying about me now. We have a coronation to prepare for and the King needs his Knights by his side!”

“That’s right,” came a familiar voice from the adjacent doorway.

Both Sehun and Kai whipped around to see Kyungsoo walking towards them from his quarters, his small frame adorned by heavy white robes.

“Your majesty,” said the two knights in unison as they genuflected.

Kyungsoo came to a sudden stop just in front of the kneeling figures. “Call me that again and I’ll have both of you exiled.”

“Is that a promise?” whispered Kai, looking up with a tiny smirk.

Kyungsoo reached down and ruffled the Black Knight’s silky hair. “Looks like you’re feeling better, Jongin-ah.”

“I’m sorry for the trouble,” replied Kai, closing his eyes as the blood rushed up into his cheeks. The feel of Kyungsoo’s fingers along his scalp reminded him far too much of Luhan’s touch, but he was not yet ready to admit that to himself, let alone anyone else.

“My lord,” exclaimed Sehun, rising to his feet suddenly. “Would you please command Jongin to get a medical exam prior to the coronation? It’s such an important occasion after all and we should make sure he is fit enough to carry out his duties.” Sehun tried to sound as casual as possible, knowing the King could be just as stubborn as Kai. “I can have an exam too,” he added, hoping to tip the scales.

Instead of responding directly to Sehun, Kyungsoo crouched down so that he was at eye level with Kai. “What do you say, Jongin-ah? Will you do it for us?”

Taken aback by the gesture, Kai struggled to find the right words. “My lord, of course, I’ll do anything that you command me to, but...”

Kyungsoo reached out and cupped Kai’s face in his hands. “I’m not commanding you. I’m asking you, as your friend. I don’t want to force you into submission. This is your choice. But it will make our Sehun feel better. And if I’m going to be completely honest, it will make me feel better too. I can’t…”

Kai turned his gaze up towards the King. “My lord?”

Kyungsoo fought the tears b unexpectedly along his eyelids. “I can’t lose anyone else right now.” He regained his composure rather quickly and got to his feet. “Besides, you two will be crowning me, so I need you to be healthy.”

“WHAT?!” both Knights exclaimed in unison.

“That’s right. It’s only appropriate.”

Sehun forgot all sense of decorum as he took several steps backward in shock. “How is that at all appropriate?!”

Kai, on the other hand, tried to maintain a calm exterior, despite his racing heart. “My lord,” he said softly, rising to his feet, “we are your Knights. You grant us our titles. Not the other way around!”

“No. You were Luhan’s Knights before he was killed. And now, you are my two most trusted advisors. Both Black and White Councils have since been dissolved, making you the top ranking advisors to the throne. One from each of the two Kingdoms. It is only appropriate that the two of you shall crown me King. It will help to unify our people.”

Kai stepped closer to Kyungsoo, making their difference in height that much more apparent. “My lord, if I may. I am not seen as a hero in the Black Kingdom. I am a traitor to them. It will be difficult enough for the two nations to forgive each other without inserting Lord Kim's unfaithful son into the middle of everything. Perhaps a high ranking military leader in the Black Army would be a better choice.”

Kyungsoo’s expression became even more resolute. “You may not yet be seen as a hero, Jongin, but you are one. You gave up everything to save this World from your father’s hatred. Now it is finally time for the World to hear of your sacrifice. I have made up my mind.”

 “General Suho outranks me, my lord,” interrupted Sehun, struggling to come up with any sort of valid argument. “I am merely his messenger. Perhaps he should crown you.”

Kyungsoo shook his head vigorously. “No, Sehun. You killed the Emperor. You are a symbol of justice.”

The memory alone was enough to silence the White Knight.

“We are not trying to get out of serving you my lord,” answered Kai, realizing that Sehun was unable to continue. “This idea is just… too rash, too impulsive. Surely, it will undermine the throne.”

Kyungsoo smiled sadly as he looked up into the Black Knight’s worri

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter