The Black Tower

Black & White
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“I know this place!” gasped Chen, pulling himself up off the ground and rushing forward towards his two companions. After being blindfolded, the three prisoners had been carried up a hanging spiral staircase and unceremoniously discarded onto the carpeted floor of a lavishly adorned suite. Though their binds had been cut, there was no escape. The entrance had been bolted shut and the staircase retracted. Heavy black drapes covered tall glass windows on one wall, windows that were barred from the outside world by thick metal rods.

Baekhyun did not respond, instead using every last bit of his energy to lift Jisung’s lifeless body onto the adjacent bed. “We need to clean his wounds,” he said eventually, staring down at the unconscious boy’s blood stained uniform. “It will hurt him less while he’s still…”

“Knocked out?” suggested Chen, reluctantly walking forward.

“Asleep,” corrected Baekhyun, the boy’s peaceful face.

“I’ll get some washcloths from the bathroom,” replied Chen, knowing exactly where to find them. He returned not too long after with a handful of supplies.

“So what were you saying about this place?” asked Baekhyun, trying to distract himself from the sight of Jisung’s cuts and bruises.

“I’ve been here before,” answered Chen. “This is where Luhan was imprisoned, after he was captured by the Black Spy.” Chen looked down at a familiar spot on the floor. “We shared a meal together, right over there.”

“So you know how to escape?”

Chen shook his head despondently. “No, I don’t. The last thing I remember is taking a sip of Luhan’s drink. Next thing I knew, I was waking up at an inn in Mine City. Kai had rescued me while I was unconscious. He’s the only one that could escape from this tower without being killed.”

“Too bad we aren’t so lucky. He doesn’t even know we’re here.”

“The Black City is built like a giant fortress,” explained Kai, trying to maintain his calm in the face of Chanyeol’s anger. “They could be anywhere.”

“With all due respect Admiral,” interrupted Sehun, bringing his horse between the quarrelers while maintaining a firm grip on Kyungsoo, “none of this is Jongin’s fault. He’s just trying to help us. I think it would be best if we didn’t turn on each other. And if that isn’t enough of a reason, technically, as the Black Knight, he outranks even you.”

“I am sick and tired of these formalities!” retorted Chanyeol, face flushing red. “I want answers! We’ve abandoned our city and our people. And for what? To hide here in the forest and discuss magical fairytales while our friends are locked up and tortured?! The world is at war! We must do something quickly!”

“I’ll go and find them,” said Kai rather quietly. “It will be easier if I go alone.”

Chanyeol threw his hands up in frustration. “What is it with you and your back-from-the dead lover?! Always trying to be martyrs and refusing to accept any help! My best friend might be in danger, and if you’re gonna try and save him, I’m coming with you! I don’t give a damn what anyone else says!” The Admiral turned to glare at Kyungsoo. “And that includes you too your royal highness.”

“Chanyeol!” gasped Suho, in a scandalized tone, but Kyungsoo held up his hand to silence him.

“Fine,” said the King, with an air of finality. “But if you still have any shred of respect left for the title I hold, please take this with you.” Kyungsoo wiggled himself free of Sehun’s hold and pulled off his cloak, untangling himself from the white fabric before holding it out in front of Chanyeol.

“What the hell am I supposed to do with that thing?!”

“Chanyeol!” exclaimed Suho once more, taken aback by the Admiral’s lack of propriety.

Kyungsoo brushed him off once more and threw the cloak at Chanyeol. “Oh keep your trousers on, will you Joonmyun! I’d much rather have an honest conversation than have you grovel at my feet for the rest of my cursed life.”

“You’re far too gracious your majesty,” said Chanyeol sarcastically, staring down at the old cloth. “Now I can ride into the Black City dressed conspicuously in white and be spotted by the enemy at once.”

Kyungsoo was anything but amused. “That cloak once belonged to Luhan. It’s fabled to have been woven with a magical thread to protect the King. Surely, even you’ve heard the legend.”

“My lord!” interrupted Suho, remembering the story behind the King’s cloak. It was a tale told to all children who grew up in the White City. “That cloak is meant to protect you!”

Kyungsoo smiled as he looked up at Sehun. “I daresay I’m protected well enough already.” He then turned his gaze towards Kai, whose face was etched with determination. “Keep him safe, Jongin-ah. We’ll be waiting for your return.”

“Head to the Black Mountain Inn,” instructed the Black Knight matter-of-factly, leaving no room for debate. “It’s located in Mine City. Our current path will lead you directly there. Tell the owner that the Black Spy sent you.” Without another word, Kai turned his mustang around and rode North, leading Chanyeol, who raced after him on his own horse.

“We should’ve said goodbye,” said Sehun, watching as the two specks faded in the distance. “It might’ve been our last chance.”

“Your optimism is out of control,” replied Kyungsoo sarcastically, hoping to alleviate the sinking sensation in his own gut.

Suho sighed heavily. “We should get going, my lord, before the sun rises.”

Morning came all too quickly, bringing with it a chilly wind. A thick

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter