The White Prince

Black & White
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Luhan’s White cloak billowed effortlessly in the autumn wind as he walked purposefully across the cobblestone path. The tall trees lining the courtyard had only recently begun to change colors and few had shed any leaves. It was quieter than usual.

“Sire!” called out a familiar voice just as Luhan reached the towering flagpole at the center of the square.

Luhan turned around quickly in a blur of twirling white cloth. Suho fell to one knee at once at the regal sight.

“Again, General?” asked Luhan in a rather firm voice, very different from his normally gentle tone.

Suho refused to raise his bowed head. “I’m sorry… sir.”

Luhan let out an audible sigh. “As if taking out one letter is gonna make it better. How many times have I explained it to you? I am not the King. So you don’t have to call me ‘sire’ or ‘sir’ or any other stuffy title for that matter. I would prefer it if you would do me the honor of calling me by my name.”

“But sir,” responded Suho meekly, “what if someone overhears? Even my own men would not stand for such lack of propriety, let alone the Council of Advisors.”

“I see,” said Luhan unhappily. “So you would rather please them.”

Suho did not respond as he got to his feet. He was still refusing to make eye contact with the Crown Prince.

“How am I supposed to convince you if you won’t even look at me?” Luhan’s soft voice had returned as he stared at the rather pathetic sight. “Perhaps, General, I should start calling you ‘Suho?’ Or ‘Joonmyun?’ Or how about ‘Hey you over there with the big sword?’ Then will you give up these outdated customs?”

Suho stifled a barely audible laugh, quickly rearranging his face to all sorts of seriousness.

Luhan placed a kind hand on his shoulder, forcing him to lift his gaze.

“I am only here to serve you, my lord.”

“Oh,” replied Luhan with a frown, “and all this time I thought you were my friend.” There was genuine sadness in his voice this time.

“I am your friend, Luhan,” whispered Suho, making sure nobody else could possibly hear.

That’s all it took to make the Prince smile as brightly as ever. “See? That wasn’t so hard!”

“But my lord, these are dark times. We must fulfill the duties that our titles hold.”

“Yea, yea,” answered Luhan dismissively, wrapping an arm around Suho’s shoulder, “dark, miserable, Armageddon on the horizon. Has it ever actually been anything but gloomy around here? If we wait around for the world to be perfect, there won’t be any time left for us to live.”

Suho smiled nervously, making sure none of his soldiers were around. “It’s my job to ensure that you live for many years to come, my lord. But in order to do that, we must take appropriate actions against the most recent threats to your security.”

“Would you stop with the doom and gloom!” said Luhan carelessly. “I swear, I can’t ever have a conversation with you anymore without you rambling about military tactics and your highness this and my lord that. Can’t we just talk like normal people?”

The two made their way farther down the path towards the tall white gates. Suho reached up and grabbed Luhan’s hand, gently lifting it off his shoulders. “The guards have lined up outside, for Prince Kyungsoo’s arrival.”

“I’m sure he’ll appreciate all the pomp and circumstance,” replied Luhan, somewhat amused. No sooner had he spoken the words than the gates opened, revealing two long rows of armed soldiers standing at attention as they made a path for the arriving party.

Kyungsoo toppled more than climbed off the too big horse after it stopped in front of the entrance. Several attendants ran to him as he barely landed on his feet. The small boy looked utterly disheveled, tangled up in far too many white robes and balancing a heavy silver crown on his head. The gates closed immediately after his entourage made it past the threshold.

Kyungsoo gave Luhan a rather exasperated look as Suho immediately fell to one knee. “Such a kind welcome, your wonderfulness!” he spewed petulantly. “As if it’s not hard enough for me to balance on that overgrown cow! You have to line the entire city up to watch my clumsy arrival!”

Luhan threw his arms around his younger cousin to keep from laughing in his face. “You think I organized this parade? If it were up to me, I’d come get you myself and we’d sneak in through the side when everyone was asleep.”

Kyungsoo pulled himself out of Luhan’s arms and looked up at him, the frown still plastered on his face. “No offense, Luhan, but I’d rather not be here.”

“It’s nice to see you too,” replied Luhan.

Kyungsoo scowled as he looked down at Suho, who was still kneeling. “Is he ever gonna get up?”

Suho rose at once, keeping his gaze down.

“I swear, Joonmyun!” exclaimed Kyungsoo “You are completely hopeless. Did I not tell you last time that I’m sick of all the bowing?”

“Sorry sir,” replied Suho, carefully turning his eyes upward. “It’s just a habit by now.”

“I just had this conversation with him Kyungsoo,” said Luhan, wrapping an arm around the shoulders of Kyungoo’s fluffy costume and leading him back towards the castle. “He’s already forgotten. Come on, let’s go inside. It’s getting kind of chilly out here, isn’t it?”

“Oh really?” replied Kyungsoo annoyed, “I didn’t notice since my attendants insisted on stuffing me under every white piece of cloth they could get their hands on. I’m surprised I haven’t suffocated yet.” He reached for his crown angrily, ready to toss it away. A young woman at his side reached out at once to take it from him.

“I’m glad you made it here safely, Kyungsoo,” said Luhan genuinely. “I’ve missed you.”

Kyungsoo’s complaints stopped at once as he looked down somewhat ashamedly. “I missed you too.”

Suho, who had been following the two silently, spoke up when he noticed they were heading in the wrong direction. “My lords, I was told to you to the meeting hall. The Council has gathered all of the military leaders.”

Luhan stopped at once and turned around, dragging Kyungsoo with him. “Despite all of their endless formalities, do the Advisors fail to recognize basic human decency? Prince Kyungsoo just arrived after a long journey, and they can’t even afford him a minute’s rest?”

Suho bowed his head reflexively, unsure of how to respond.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter