Protective boxer

Dangerous, Especially For Himself

 

 

“Hey, Hyukjae,” Kangin was in the middle of opening the pack of chips, “are you sure this guy isn´t bullying you?”

“No, I´m not sure,” I answered honestly and poked into Donghae´s shoulder with my finger.

We were sitting on the floor of the spacious practice room. Something similar to a circle was formed around Lee Donghae, who was still lying knocked down on the ground. Nobody was worried about his condition, though, not even me. I think he deserved a hit but also he didn´t deserve anything more. That´s why I decided to let him sleep peacefully and later I would take him away as he wished.

“Why did you bring him here?” Kyuhyun, a tall young man sitting next to me, asked.

“I wonder,” I mumbled. The practice was supposed to start already but we were all waiting for Donghae to wake up. I felt slightly guilty for interrupting the work. I should have been more decisive. What made me bring the brunette here anyway?

“I guess that´s enough,” Kangin announced and I noticed his pack of chips being empty already.

The bulkiest of us stood up and walked to Donghae. He crouched down next to his head and raised the empty pack. Kangin blew some air into it, until it looked like a small balloon. I knew what was going to happened, I once fell asleep during the practice too, and hurried to cover my ears. Kangin then hit hard the bloated pack and it burst with a loud bang!

“What?!” Donghae was in less than a second sitting up and holding his chest in fright. I snorted, waking up like this is the worst.

“Get up, Sleeping Beauty, you’re in the way,” Kangin chuckled loudly and many others laughed with him.

It took Donghae only a few seconds to realise the situation and he started panicking. His head kept turning around and I knew he was looking for me. Because of that I stood up from the crowd sitting on the floor and shuffled to him.

“You okay?” I asked quietly. Donghae´s right eye was pretty swollen and must have been hurting too but the trespasser was still too shocked to notice the fact. “I will lead you out, how about it?” I offered with as much comfort as I could.

“N-No,” Donghae´s eyes finally focused on my face. At first they looked endlessly desperate but then uncharacteristically determined. He frowned at me: “I´m staying. No matter what!” I sighed. That stubbornness was something I already knew was useless fighting against.

“Whatever, but don´t get in the way of anyone in here,” I reminded him and purposely glanced at Kangin. Donghae got the message and only tsk´ed at me before he toddled to a corner, where he leaned with his back against the mirror. I didn´t think that anybody would do anything to Donghae, not even Kangin would be as harsh as to add another hit but I didn´t want the practice to get disturbed because of me and my troubles anymore.

People were slowly standing up and getting to their positions or individual practices in other smaller rooms of the theatre. I glanced to the corner and found there Donghae turned to the mirror and checking his eye. I guess he finally registered the swollen lump above his cheek bone. And so I went to the ice box and pulled out a can of cold drink. I brought the ice coffee to Donghae and when the bastard pretended to ignore me, I pushed it against his cheek.

“Yah!” Donghae got caught off guard but quickly realised my intention and grabbed the can.

“Kangin´s a good guy,” I added to defend my friend. And even gave Donghae a small smile before I my heel and joined the formation in the middle of the room.

My place was right behind Kyuhyun and a little to the side so I could be seen in the huge mirror on the wall. Kangin from the side threw us some instructions and the way he wanted today to go. Then he the music and the practice began. It was a long time before we finished everything we aimed for today. I was very tired and cursed myself for not exercising enough lately. And only then I remembered Donghae. It was the evening already, not too late, though, but the latter was gone. The corner he was occupying the last time I checked was empty. I don´t even know when he left.

I put on my jacket and bid goodbyes to everyone that was still present. I promised to come tomorrow again, since the work would be much more focused on my field of performance. I grinned feeling refreshed and taking my bag, I left the theatre.

The sun was just setting and the streets were covered in golden sunrays. I wondered how long the sun would be still this warm. Soon the light will turn bland and the warmness would disappear in the uncomfortable cold wind. Most of the trees were bare already, the hot summer this year stripped them too early. I should seek for the winter coat in my closet, I thought.

“So musical, is it?” I took my stare off of the trees and lowered it on the man in front of me.

Donghae was coming my way. He was wearing different clothes than this morning and his cheek looked much less swollen. He must have gone home while we were busy practising. I was surprised he returned here, but I don´t think he had any intention of coming inside. Was he waiting for me?

“I couldn´t guess your role from the practice today,” he said and stopped in front of me.

“My role doesn´t have a name, I´m not among the main cast for the show,” I told him honestly and began walking slowly towards the bus stop.

“So nothing special again? How boring,” Donghae remarked. I stayed quiet. There was this calmness and satisfaction in my heart right now that disallowed me to feel hurt by his words. I didn´t feel the need to defend myself.

“On the other hand you have a pretty easy life, don´t you?” We were walking side by side. “Both that Yesung guy and the boxer one play your bodyguards well. A few sad faces and you get whatever. Would you believe it? They both told me not to bother you, is that a joke? What am I, a villain in a teenage drama?”

“They are just kind people,” I tried to somehow show him I wasn´t out of the discussion. But I didn´t have anything to actually say to this. It was true, I was being protected all the time. But it´s not like I was using it greedily. Or at least I hoped so.

“So it´s a reflex of yours? That next to strong people you turn weak and docile? I don´t think you are as weak as you are making yourself in front of them. Do you need to bow your head so low? Do you have to clean all their spilled coffees and trash?”

Donghae was being insensitive but at that moment I realised something. What hurts the most is the truth, isn´t it? The confidence I was so full of a second ago was gone like a smoke in a windy weather. None was left for me to make me open my mouth and tell Donghae that it wasn´t like that, that I was being myself all the time and that I didn´t mind cleaning their spilled coffees. Even if I said this aloud, it would come out stupid. I just didn´t have any excuse. Was I such an easy person?

“Don´t say that, please,” I mumbled in the end. I had my head low and hands in my pockets.

“So now you are being like that in front of me too? Because you realised I was stronger? Is it fun being a pushover? But you know what, Hyukjae?” Donghae stopped to look at me.

His eyes were full of angst and darkness. They were glistening sadly even in the warm red sunlight. It felt as if I was seriously offending him by my sole existence. That there wasn´t anything better to do for me but disappear into the thin air. It was a strange feeling but it was as if the tremendous pain and anger in the brunette´s eyes were caused by me. I felt even smaller.

“I don´t think it´s cute. More like annoying so stop giving me that loser look,” Donghae said and walked away by himself.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

fanservice: 

RW: Who wrote the lyrics?
KI: Lyrics by anchovy! You all know I didn’t have a solo song right? This isn’t a solo song too, but I sang a lot in it. I sang it over 20,000 times in the army.
EH: Sometimes, while watching money from copyright go into my bank account, I thought ‘Ah~ Kangin-ssi is working hard~’ kkkk

 

Asa! Seriously, why is the story getting darker and darker? I wonder why I lack humour. I will have to think of something cute. Anyway, thank you for reading and have a nice day.- PandaHero