People Talk

The Cheerleader and The Bangtan Boys

 The next day Namjoo drove Dahyun to school in his car. Dahyun got out of the car and noticed something strange happening in the parking lot. “Namjoo?”

“What” He asked grabbing his backpack out of the trunk.

“Why are all these people staring at us?” There were people scattered all around the parking lot and Dahyun couldn’t help but notice their eyes.

Namjoo looked around. “Weird, I guess it’s because they want to see the new kid”

“I guess…” Dahyun hesitantly agreed.

“All right, I’ll see you after school then” He waved to her and then walked off.

-

Before class began Dahyun noticed V talking with two other guys in the front of the classroom. One of the two boys was the guy she noticed on the first day. They must be friends

When the bell rang everyone ran to their seats and awaited class to begin. “Hey!” V greeted.

Dahyun looked around “Are you talking to me?”

V looked confused “Who else would I be talking to? You’re my lab partner”

Why is he being so nice to me? I was so mean to him yesterday.

“Hey so I heard a rumor about you showing up to school with Namjoo” V whispered.

“Yeah so what?”

“Well, you only just got here. I didn’t think it would be possible to get in a relationship so fast”

Dahyun widened her eyes “Ew! Why does arriving to school with someone automatically mean you’re dating them?!”

“So you’re not?”

“No he’s my cousin!”

V sighed in relief.

This school really is crazy!

Their conversation ended when the teacher walked in. “Good morning class, sorry I’m late” The teacher grabbed pile of papers from his desk and began handing them out. “Tomorrow we will start ual education.” Everyone in the room got tense. “If your parents don’t want you to take this course please have them fill out this form and return it to me tomorrow”

To Dahyun, ed was just another topic. It didn’t seem to bother her as much as the other students.

-

At lunch Dahyun sat down with her cousin and his friends. “Mind if I sit here?”

“Not at all, squeeze right in!” One of Namjoo’s friends insisted. “Any cousin of Rapmon is a cousin to me”

“Rapmon?” What’s with the crazy nicknames at this school?

“Ignore him.” Rapmon moved over so she could sit next to him.

“This is the first time I’m hearing this. Who calls you rapmon?” Dahyun laughed.

Rapmon’s friend intruded. “It’s short for Rapmonster. Everyone calls him that.”

“So what’s your nickname?” Dahyun asked him.

“J-Hope! You know why?”

“No, why?”

“Cause I’m your hope!” He made himself laugh.

Halfway through lunch Dahyun noticed V and his two other friends sitting on the other side of the room. V was putting on an act to try and make his friends laugh, he stuck French fries in his upper lip and pretended to be a walrus.

“What are you staring at?” Rapmon followed her eyes. “You checking out that boy?”

“No!” She defended herself. “I was staring because he’s making a fool of himself. Just look at him!”

“Uh huh, sure” Rapmon nodded.

-

After lunch Dahyun was called into the principal’s office. She sat down in the chairs parallel to the desk. “Hello Dahyun!” Mrs. O’Riley smiled. “Oh don’t worry you’re not in trouble”

Dahyun set her backpack down on the floor.

“I just wanted to know how you were holding up.”

“I’m good.”

“Superman does good honey you do well”

Dahyun tried to ignore her grammar correction. “I’m well”

“Okay, well I was thinking, to help you adapt to this new school, why not join a club or extracurricular.”

“You want me to join a club?” Dahyun tilted her head.

“Or a sport. Research shows that previously expelled students do better in their next school after joining school sponsored activities.”

Dahyun shrugged “I guess I could try to find something”

“That would be great! It was so nice to see you Dahyun. If you ever need to talk just come on in, my door is always open”

Mrs. O’Riley walked her out of her office and closed the door behind her. Dahyun looked at the closed door. Yeah always open