Cheer Up!

The Cheerleader and The Bangtan Boys

After her talk with the principal, Dahyun found herself looking at the club bulletin board. She read the clubs out loud. “Drama club” no I already have too much of that. Mathletes” requires too much thinking. “Yearbook” As much as I would love to have to show up to every school function. “And finally, Cheerleading” I do have experience in gymnastics, making the squad shouldn’t be too hard for me.

Dahyun looked at the schedule. Looks like tryouts are today, how convenient.

-

Tryouts were held out in the middle of the football field. “Hello girls, who’s ready to spread some school spirit!” One girl with her hair tied in a scrunchie on the top of her head asked. “My name is Cindy and I’m the squad’s captain.”

All of the other girls trying out looked peppy and anxious. I’m starting to regret the decision to come here.

“First I will teach you a routine so we can see how well you guys can learn. Are you ready?” Cindy taught the girls the routine and then watched them do it afterwards. “Good job girls keep it up!”

Dahyun did her best to keep up but she wasn’t the best at it. Cheerleading was much harder than she anticipated.

“All right great job everybody!” Cindy clapped. “Now let’s move on to freestyle!”

Freestyle? I didn’t know we were going to have to freestyle!

Everyone sat on the bleachers and awaited their turn. Dahyun couldn’t believe the talent, one girl in particular was so amazing it made her jaw literally drop.

“Thank you for trying out, maybe next year” Cindy acted overly nice even though she was turning her away.

What! She was so good!

That figures” Another girl on the bleachers mumbled.

“What figures?” Dahyun asked her.

“They only let pretty girls on the squad.” The girl scanned Dahyun up and down. “So you should get in no problem”

Cindy called out another name from her clipboard. “Dahyun”

Dahyun got up from the bleachers and stood on the field in front of Cindy.

Suddenly Cindy changed from looking bored to looking extremely attentive. “Okay sweetheart! Show us what you got!” Cindy the music from the boom box.

 It was obvious Dahyun didn’t know what she was doing. She just called out random numbers and did a few cartwheels. When she was done Cindy stood up and clapped. “That was fantastic! You’re in!”

-

Once cheerleading tryouts were over Rapmon had already gone home, leaving exhausted Dahyun to walk home. When she finally reached the house she crashed on the couch letting her backpack, and everything in it, fall to the ground.

“Hey, I waited for you but you weren’t there” He stopped when he saw the cheerleading uniform sliding out of her backpack. “What is this?” He picked it up. “Don’t tell me you’re a cheerleader now!”

“Unfortunately yes. Mrs. O’Riley said I had to join an after school activity.”

“Well you shouldn’t have picked cheerleading”

Dahyun’s interest peeked. “Why not?!”

“You hated people talking about you before. Once you become a cheerleader they’ll never stop. You won’t always be the new girl but now you’ll always be a cheerleader. All eyes on you.”

That was Dahyun’s worst nightmare. “I’m quitting!”

-

The next day Dahyun spotted Mrs.O’Riley in the hallway. “Mrs. O’Riley? Can I talk to you for a second?”

Mrs. O’Riley stopped. “Dahyun! I heard you joined the cheerleading squad!”

“Yeah that’s actually what I wanted to talk to you about”

“It’s so great that you did, I thought I was going to have to expel you!”

Dahyun was set back by her words. “Expel me?”

“Well I couldn’t have a delinquent running around my school now could I? But you being a cheerleader is the ultimate changed person story. I’m sure to get principal of the year now!”

“Right” Dahyun was speechless. She couldn’t quit cheerleading even if she wanted to.

“So what did you have to tell me?” The principal asked.

“That I love cheerleading” Dahyun lied.