New Girl

The Cheerleader and The Bangtan Boys

 “I just know you’re going to adjust well in our school” The principal, Mrs. O’Riley, walked with Dahyun down the school hallways.

After listening to Mrs. O’Riley explain the rules and opportunities at the school for about an hour Dahyun was ready to pull her hair out in boredom. “Uh huh”

“Oooh It looks like we’re here!” She stopped in front of a science classroom. “This is your anatomy class, are you ready to go in?”

Dahyun sighed “Ready as I’m ever going to be” She obviously wasn’t excited to start classes at a new school and the principal could see it.

“Oh don’t worry honey!” Mrs. O’Riley rubbed her back and smiled awkwardly. “I’m sure you have nothing to be worried about!”

Why is she touching me?! “You’re right. Let’s just go in” Dahyun did her best to get out of the awkward situation.

Mrs. O’Riley opened the classroom door and Dahyun followed her inside. It was a typical science room with tables each with two chairs. The teacher was standing at the front of the room. “Who do we have here?” he asked.

“This is Dahyun, she just transferred here this morning!” Mrs. O’Riley stated.

Dahyun looked around the room at all the eyes staring at her. Without a doubt, she was the center of attention and there was nothing she could do about it.

All her new classmates looked like typical students she’d seen at her old school, all but one. One boy in particular stood out to her, he didn’t stare her down like the other kids, and instead he gave her a welcoming gaze.

“Dahyun?” The teacher asked trying to get her attention.

“Huh?”

“Dahyun, Mr. Kemp would like you to introduce yourself to the class” Mrs. O’Riley nudged her to speak.

“All right” She half smiled. “My name is Dahyun, I just moved here.”

“Why don’t you tell us something about yourself?” Mr. Kemp asked.

This is torture! What do I even say? Maybe I’ll make something up. “I like to bake” She lied.

“That’s very nice. Why don’t you go ahead take a seat?”

“All right well you all have a great class” Mrs. O’Riley stepped out of the room.

Dahyun made her way to the back. Only one seat was open so she sat down there. Her lab partner was staring her down. “Can I help you?”

He grinned showing his gums “I’m V, your new lab partner!” he held out his hand for a hand shake but Dahyun ignored it.

“What kind of name is V?”

“It’s my nickname” His grin shrunk.

“Well whoever gave you that nickname must be real creative” She said sarcastically.

V frowned “I gave myself that nickname”

-

When the bell rang Dahyun bolted for the door. She was not in the mood for casual conversation. On her way to the cafeteria she bumped into someone and got knocked onto the floor.

“Ow” She groaned.

“Whoops, my bad” The person she bumped into stood up and held out his hand. “Where were you running off to?”

She ignored his hand and stood up on her own. “The cafeteria”

“Well you’re going the wrong way anyway” He laughed. “It’s that way”

Dahyun looked in the direction he was pointing “I knew that”

“Do you need a tour? I have some free time, I could show you around?” He offered.

“No thanks” She looked at him, he was an extremely good looking fella but she was the kind of person that didn’t like taking help from anyone.

“Okay but know that the offer still stands if you ever need it” He stuck his hands in his pockets and walked off.

Dahyun watched him disappear but her attention was pulled towards two girls looking at her and giggling. She approached them “What are you two laughing at?”

“You” one of them said.

“Why?” Dahyun was growing irritated.

“I can’t believe you just turned down Jin! Big mistake!” The other stated.

Dahyun scrunched up her eyebrows “Who’s Jin?”

They giggled in response.

“What’s so funny?!”

“Nothing, it’s just, you’re going to regret turning down one of the most popular boys in school!”

Dahyun rolled her eyes. Really! That’s what they’re laughing about, god I hate high school.

-

When Dahyun got home her cousin was already there waiting for her. “Hey Namjoo” She called.

He was making himself a sandwich in the kitchen. “Hey cous, how was the first day of school?”

She sat up on the counter and sighed.

“That bad?”

“Everyone is just so plain, they’re exactly the same as the people in my old school. It’s like every high school is the same”

“Yeah I get it” Namjoo finished his sandwich and took a huge bite. “I’m sorry you had to switch schools”

“It wasn’t even my fault” She mumbled.

“I know, but hey, expulsion can’t be all bad? Your parents sent you to live with your aunt, uncle and awesome cousin.” he pointed to himself

She nodded “True”