A Chapter in which Nothing is Accomplished

Why Super Junior Will NEVER Go Camping Again

 

“We’re baaaaack~” Leeteuk called. He and the other members of his team emerged from the forest, somewhat disheveled and carrying bundles of fire supplies.

“Took you guys long enough,” Kangin commented. “What, did you walk all the way back to the dorms or something?”

“Well, some of us wanted to,” Eunhyuk said, eyeing Ryeowook.

The cute singer pouted, “You were screaming the loudest.”

“Anyway, now that we’re all here, how about we start the campfire?” Leeteuk asked.

“It’s only three in the afternoon!” Some protested.

Hangeng sighed, “I have to agree with him. Who knows how long it takes to start the fire?”

“C’mon. Even cavemen know how. Can’t be that hard, right?” Donghae smiled innocently.

“Hey, what happened to the tents?” Kyuhyun wondered, staring past the members at the campsite.

“Well…” Siwon began, rubbing the back of his head. All heads turned to assess the damage. Six single tents had been shabbily put up, with most of them leaning dangerously to one side. On the far right, however, it looked like the final tent was really two of them put together. It, too, was leaning, but looked distorted and out of proportion.

“We kind of ran out of poles for that one,” Sungmin supplied helpfully.

“It was Heechul’s fault, wasn’t it?” Henry asked.

“Are you questioning my tent-assembly expertise?” Heechul challenged.

“Yes.” Everyone chorused.

“Well, it’s not like you guys did any better!”

“Oh, we got a lot of fuel for the fire,” Ryeowook stated smugly. He cast a glance at Zhou Mi, “…and materials for a scarf, apparently.”

Heechul glowered. Hangeng came to the rescue before blood could be shed, “You know, they say a house divided cannot stand, right? So a tent combined should be twice as strong!”

Sungmin cocked his head to the side, “I don’t think that statement makes sense in any language.”

“Forget that. Let’s start a fire!” Shindong cheered.

“Set it up here, in the middle,” Zhou Mi recommended.

“Yesung, what are you doing with those rocks?” Kibum wondered. The eccentric singer had been quietly picking up rocks and setting them in a lopsided circle.

Yesung looked up, “Obviously, I’m lining the fire pit. You don’t want the fire getting out of control, right?”

There was a slight pause.

“Oh my God…” Shindong stage-whispered. “I think Yesung just said something sensible. Pigs around the world are taking flight.”

“I disapprove of your casual use of the Lord’s name, but I think I agree,” Siwon added in awe.

Yesung snorted derisively, “Of course I make sense. I’m the King of Nature.”

“…And then he follows it up with something like that.” Kyuhyun smirked.

“Order is restored to the universe!” Shindong and Eunhyuk cheered.

Leeteuk cleared his throat and nodded at the ground. “Guys? We were building a fire?” He prompted.

The members busily began lining the fire pit and stacking twigs and moss.

“Not too much moss, Ryeowook,” Hangeng cautioned.

“Would leaves work too?”

“Sure, throw ‘em in, Sungmin.”

Within minutes, a cozy little fire pit was built.

“Okay, who knows how to light a fire?” Leeteuk asked.

“Che. You don’t know how, it’s an instinct,” Kangin scoffed. “I’ll do it.”

The members stepped back to give him room. Kangin tilted his head as he considered the problem for a moment. He furrowed his brow in concentration.

“Ah! I got it!” he exclaimed. He turned to face the expectant members. “Anyone have a lighter?”

“Wow. That was a Herculean effort,” Heechul sarcastically applauded.

“So you admit defeat?” Eunhyuk taunted. “Ha! I can do so much better!” Proudly holding his head high, he knelt by the fire pit. “Watch this.”

He picked up to of the rocks and began clacking them together. Nothing happened.

“Are you trying to make sparks?” Zhou Mi asked.

“Yep!”

Heechul smirked, “Idiot. You need flint for that. Anyone got some?”

Everyone shook their heads. “Do we look like we carry flint around in our pockets with us?” Kyuhyun asked.

“You can try…” Henry started. He walked over and picked up a twig. “Like this,” he demonstrated. He placed the twig perpendicular to another. Sandwiching the twig between his palms, he began rubbing them back and forth really quickly. “See? It makes friction,” he explained. He stopped and glanced up at them. “You can try too,” he offered.

“Good work, Boy Scout,” Leeteuk ruffled the Canadian’s hair in praise.

“I knew growing up with grizzlies would have its uses for you someday,” Kangin added.

The members picked up their own twigs and began doing as Henry had demonstrated. Unfortunately, it was a bit more complicated than it looked.

“Ah! I think I got a cut!”

“My hands hurt!”

“Urgh, what was on this twig? It’s so gross!”

“I think I’m getting twig burn…”

“ARE YOU SERIOUS? Why do these things keep snapping?!”

“This better work, Henry.”

After a few minutes of carefully rubbing their palms back and forth, Donghae cut into the silence.

“You know what this reminds me of, guys?”

A few members looked up in interest, but most kept their eyes on their work.

Donghae grinned and began rubbing his hands to a rhythm while slowly turning from left to right. “Sorry, Sorry, Sorry, Sorry…

Eunhyuk joined in “Naega naega naega meonjeo—“

One by one, all the members began adding their voices.  “Nege nege nege ppajyeo pajyeo ppajyeo beoryeo baby~” Twigs fell to the ground, forgotten, as everyone jumped up to add the dance moves. They loudly finished the chorus and Siwon launched straight into his first verse. Everyone fell around him into their very familiar positions as he sang. They each joyfully began singing their parts and dancing along.

But during Ryeowook and Sungmin’s shared second verse, Leeteuk happened to look back and he noticed the two who were swaying quietly in the background. He quickly darted back, grabbed one person’s arm and shoved him to the front of the group just as the chorus came up again. “Zhou Mi! Solo!” he cheered.

The tall Chinese man looked a little uncertain, but began singing all the same, “Sorry Sorry Sorry Sorry…” The other members cheered loudly for him and he finished strongly, “—Ppajyeo ppajyeo beoryeo baby~”

“Go Henry!”

The Canadian grinned cheekily at his supporters, “Shawty shawty shawty shawty…”

The group sang and danced their hearts out, and finished the song with a flourish. Though they weren’t greeted by the screams and cheers of fans, they all knew it was their best performance.

“GROUP HUG!” Yesung yelled, extending his arms.

“Ha. No way am I gonna—“ Kangin’s words were cut off as he was forcefully pulled into the hug by Siwon.

“Yah, Hangeng, you’re stepping on my foot!” Heechul complained.

“Don’t ruin the moment,” Hangeng rebuked.

“THEN MOVE YOUR FOOT!”

Kibum looked around the circle, “Eunhyuk, Ryeowook… Are you guys… crying?”

“No!” They sniffled.

“Awww… C’mere.” They tightened the group hug.

“Stop! You’ll squeeze the tears out!” Wookie protested.

“I thought you said you weren’t crying?” Kibum teased.

“It’s eyeball sweat,” Eunhyuk hiccupped.

The members all cracked a smile.

“So… how about that fire?” Kyuhyun reminded.

“I have a lighter in my bag,” Henry offered.

Fourteen heads swiveled to look at him. Henry gulped and backed out of the group hug at the sight of their apocalyptic expressions.

“You have… what?”

“Ahh… But wasn’t this fun?” He squeaked.

“COME HERE, CANADIAN.”



 

Hey, I’m back! :D Ugh, I think all the turkey I ate is turning me a bit mushy and sentimental. But anyway, when I got back, I saw SO MANY comments and subscribers and wall posts and I was just like WOW. <3 Anyway, here’s your chapter for being so awesome. Again, sorry I couldn’t reply to you all individually, so here’s a shout out to my awesome commenters: SnowSketch, Akira97, KyuMinnieParkJiSung, sihanfan096, nyansuju, VIPistheHottest, garie09, Paralovesuperjunior, SJSHINeeU-Kiss1999, purple_rain, KwonSei, sujurockz4ever97, Heartbarriers, HairNinja, thelittledreamer, Lovingtoomany, Heelover, and choclatte <3 Thank you <3