.9.

Life Support

"I'm sorry, what?" Hansol's father asked. The surprised look on his face was something Hansol rarely saw. The last time was when his mother had caught him in bed with the previous maid they had.

"Can you please pay for Soo Jin's medical bills?" Hansol repeated. He couldn't tell if his parents were shocked by his request or because he was asking them to pay the bills of a complete stranger.

"You want us to pay for someone's bills?" Hansol's mother shared the same shocked expression as her husband.

"Yes." The word came out with a tinge of annoyance and Hansol rolled his eyes, feeling impatient.

"Well this is coming out of your college funds so if you're okay with that, then we'll use some of that money. So, how much is it?"

Hansol gave them an average estimate. He went over Soo Jin's paperwork for a few moments, doing some mental calculations. He was shocked at the five figure price, but he knew that it would be like a dime to his parents.

Hansol's father whipped out his checkbook and made out a large sum to Soo Jin, ripping it off after he signed it and handed it to Hansol, "Now go and break the news to this poor girl." Hansol did as he was told, running out of the house and into his waiting car.

His mother and father sat in their large living room, still in shock. In a matter of weeks, their son had changed into someone they hardly knew. The old Hansol was peeking through.

Hansol drove fifteen kilometers over the speed limit, trying to make it to the hospital as fast as he could. Hansol couldn't bare to let Soo Jin be miserable any longer than she already was. He peeled into the nearest parking space he could find. Hansol jumped out of the car and stuffed the check into the front pocket of his jeans. He navigated his way through the maze of the hospital and up to the floor that housed Soo Jin. He beamed straight for Soo Jin's room and burst through the door, frightening a sleepy Soo Jin to nearly jump out of her bed.

"Hansol!" Soo Jin's eyes were wide but she couldn't help the smile that crept onto her face, "Today's your day off! What are you doing here?"

In response to her question, Hansol pulled out the check and handed it to Soo Jin.

"You've got to be kidding! This isn't real." Her stomach dropped at the sight of the check. At the top left corner of the signed check was Hansol's father's name. She looked at the amount of money that was being given to her and let out of sigh of relief.

This was simply too much! Soo Jin couldn't possibly take the amount of money being given to her from Hansol's family.

Hansol kneeled down next to Soo Jin and looked at the check, "Well it seems to be addressed to you. You should take it. Please." The money she needed to prolong her life for a few weeks was in the palm of her hands and she couldn't turn it down if it meant sharing a few weeks with her mother and Hansol.

Soo Jin nodded her head, laying the check next the her and turned to Hansol. Their eyes connected and she leaned forward, pecking Hansol on the cheek. A small fluttering developed in both their stomachs. A gasp escaped Hansol's lips and Soo Jin's went agape at the unconscious move she had made. She slowly backed away and covered her lips with her frail fingers.

Hansol brought his fingertips to his cheek, smiling softly. Soo Jin just kissed him and he felt that overwhelming feeling overcome him. He looked at the girl in front of him and smiled, "So...that check. I can deposit it for you if you want." Hansol changed the subject, sensing that Soo Jin was beginning to feel uncomfortable at the situation.

Soo Jin simply nodded and handed over the check. Hansol, with Soo Jin's debit card and check in hand, left the room. As the door shut closed, Soo Jin let out a sigh and brought her hand up to graze her lips. She had just kissed Hansol. The same Hansol who had made it difficult going to school each day.

She couldn't help the smile that came on her lips. She spent the next few minutes staring into oblivion, still shocked at the previous hour's events. It wasn't just the kiss alone, but the money also. In just a day, her hopes of treatment and living  had been restored. No matter how corny it sounded, Hansol was her savior.

Hansol hurried back to the hospital after depositing the money into Soo Jin's account. He rushed to Min Soo's office and found him sitting at his desk. He took a sit in front of him and leaned forward on his elbows.

"I need you to reroute Soo Jin's payment for treatment to her own bank account instead of her mother's." Min Soo nodded and wrote something onto a piece of paper to change it later. He didn't ask why as he was quite busy, and got up for another appointment. Hansol rushed behind him, trying to ask him a question.

On the way to the bank, Hansol organized a night out with Soo Jin to Seoul in order to get her night off of everything that was going on. He planned a whole night, from the moment they leave the hospital to when they got back. He just needed Boo's approval in order to take Soo Jin out of the hospital. She couldn't be detached from the machines at any time so it'd be quite hard to get her out but Hansol knew there were any portable machines that could be used temporarily.

"Min Soo!" Hansol called out to the rushing man in front of him. He turned around and furrowed his eyebrows, waiting for what Hansol had to say.

"Is there any way I can bring Soo Jin out to Seoul for two days?" Hansol put on his most sincere look but Min Soo looked unfazed.

"You're telling me that you want to take a dying patient out of the hospital so that you could spend time with her for two days? You've got to be joking, Hansol," Min Soo scoffed before turning around to continue his walk down the hallway but Hansol stopped him by grabbing his arm.

"Please Dr. Boo, it might be her last chance at feeling normal again." Hansol pleaded. Min Soo sighed and nodded his head sightly, in deep thought about the outcome of what Hansol was requesting.

"You'll need to keep under constant surveillance and make sure she takes her medications on time." Hansol was growing giddy with excitement.

"Does that mean—" Hansol smiled and crossed his fingers.

"Yes," Min Soo mumbled, clearly annoyed, "you can take her."