.10.

Life Support

Soo Jin kneeled on the hard linoleum floor of the hospital as she hovered over her small suitcase. Earlier in the day, Hansol told her to pack a bag with enough of her stuff for two days, not allowing Soo Jin to ask where they were going.

Hansol had spent the entire morning arranging the temporary oxygen tank Soo Jin would be hooked up to. The tank was hook to the wheelchair she would be using. 

Hansol left after they had finished adjusting the tank and went to Soo Jin's room. The teen was now sitting on her bed with her feet hanging and swinging. When the door opened, Soo Jin's head popped up and she smiled. Hansol smiled in response and reached out for her hand. Soo Jin took it, taking a second to get on her feet. She wobbled a bit and nearly fell over one or two times.

"Don't worry, I have a wheelchair for you." Hansol comforted Soo Jin, grabbing her with both hands now. Soo Jin noticed Hansol's biceps flexing and kept her eyes there, fascinated by how big they were.

Soo Jin let Hansol lead her out into the hallway where she saw her wheelchair, with what looked like a complete robot set up on the back. She looked at the boy behind her curiously and sat down. Even from the walk to the wheelchair made her sick. She immediately reached for the cannula and stuck the probes in her nose, relaxing as a blast of cold air hit her lungs. 

Hansol got the nod of approval from the doctor, making sure that it was alright. Hansol grabbed Soo Jin and his suitcases before releasing the brakes on the wheelchair, letting it move. Hansol struggled to push Soo Jin and carry the suitcases. The two made it to the elevator and Hansol let out a much deserved sigh. He hadn't had to do work like this seeing as he had butlers and maids to do it for him in the past. 

"Are you going to tell me where we're going?" Soo Jin asked curiously, pulling on Hansol's sweater.

"It's a surprise," Hansol chuckled, picturing the amazing date he had planned. Up until the morning, Hansol had spent the previous day planning everything up until the second of what they would be doing. First they would go to Seoul Museum of Art, take a boat ride on the Han River, and then spend a night in a hotel before heading back home. 

He knew Soo Jin liked art,partly because he had seen her on numerous occasions in the art room, reading books on various famous artists. And because every time he saw her, she had a sketch book and a pencil in her hand.

Soo Jin and Hansol got into the car, with Soo Jin in the front seat after having Hansol help her up and getting her in the car. Hansol folded the wheelchair and placed it in the backseat so that Soo Jin's oxygen tank could be close to her.  The two left the hospital and Soo Jin felt a sense of giddiness as she saw the large building disappear into the horizon.

The car ride was about two hours and they arrived at their hotel at four o'clock in the afternoon. When Soo Jin stepped out and sat in her wheelchair. She looked up, shocked at what was before her. Before her was one of the most expensive hotels in Seoul, Shilla Hotel.

Soo Jin began wheeling towards the door but was immediately stopped by Hansol. He handed the doorman their luggage and a hundred-dollar bill as a tip.

"We're going to our first stop right away," Hansol whispered, changing the direction of Soo Jin's wheelchair to face the street. The possibilities of where they could be going ran through Soo Jin's head but she couldn't conclude where Hansol was taking her. 

The two made their way down the street until they reached a grey large building with multiple steps and a large glass door. A sign above read Seoul Museum of Art. Soo Jin gasped, and reached for Hansol's hand. She found it and felt the warmth rush through her. For as long as she could remember, she had wanted to come here. She had always wanted to go to the wax museum to admire the different wax figures of famous people but the admission prices were too high expensive for her mother to take her.

Hansol felt Soo Jin's cold fingers intertwined with his and a smile found its way on his face. Even though they felt like ice, he felt a certain warmth radiating off of them.

Hansol took Soo Jin up a handicapped section of the staircase, a flat ramp that was accessible by wheelchair, and they entered the building. Inside was a cathedral style dome with arches and beautifully painted murals. The sight made Soo Jin;s eyes go wide. Each wall was covered in paintings that she has admired for years.

After Hansol paid their admission fee, he pushed Soo Jin through the maze of a gallery. The stopped at each painting and stayed for a while, both of them silent. Even though he was much of an artist, the amazement Soo Jin found in the paintings made Hansol warm inside. The hard work a single person went through to make something so beautiful was something to admire.

After they finished, they ended up back on the street where Soo Jin pulled Hansol into a hug. Hansol, bent at the waist and on the verge of falling over, embraced the sick teenager in his grasp and buried his head in the crook of her neck.

"Thank you," Soo Jin muttered before they continued their walk. The sun had begun to set on the horizon as they arrived at their last stop—a boat dock. Soo Jin's eyebrow raised in suspicion as they walked through a row with a bunch of docks connected to it.

They turned right at the end and a pricey looking yacht was attached to a buoy with a bridge leading to the end of the dock. Soo Jin looked up at Hansol and the latter nodded, "That's for us."

They got on the yacht and were welcomed with a table full of food and champagne sat in front of them. Hansol sat down across from Soo Jin and motions to her to begin eating. The yacht began moving and making its way down the river. On either side of them, the sky had turned a dark orange and the silhouette of Banpo Bridge and its bright rainbow lights could be seen.

Soo Jin had never felt so small. The Banpo Bridge beckoned down at her and she looked around some more, taking in the view. Her eyes landed on Hansol who was chewing a leaf of spinach and he smiled. She didn't expect this to be a product of Hansol—an admission to her dream art museum and a dinner on a yacht overlooking the Han River.

Hansol saw Soo Jin looking at him and he looked back smugly, comforted by her presence. Soo Jin hadn't said much throughout the day but he could tell she had enjoyed her time away from the hospital, which was what his goal was all along.

When they finished their food, Hansol told the boat captain to return to the dock and the go back to their hotel. They entered and Soo Jin's mouth dropped. The inside was full of golden decoration, white marble, and expensive looking chandeliers that hung down from tall ceilings. Hansol checked in and they found their room. Soo Jin's mouth had yet to close as they entered their room. 

There were two modern looking beds in the middle of the spacious room with a wall of windows that overlooked the river they were just at. The appliances in the kitchen were all stainless steel, a large flat screen television hung inbetween the two beds, and a bathroom that could fit Soo Jin's hospital room in it branched off the the left. 

"Im going to wash my face, but you might as well get into bed, we have to leave early. I have to get you back before seven." Hansol said, almost disappointingly. Soo Jin nodded and rolled herself over the the two beds, picking the one closest to the windows. She picked herself up from the chair, using her arms as leverage and plopped into the bed, wrapped in wires.

Hansol entered the room again, this time with a glowing face, and saw the struggling girl trying to unwrap herself from the machine giving her life. He helped Soo Jin unwrap herself and get under the covers. Before he got in his own bed, Hansol stripped off his shirt and pulled on a thin tanktop, which Soo Jin couldn't help wish he left off.

Hansol gave Soo Jin a small "good night" and shut off the lights as he got under his own respective covers. The king-sized beds felt lonely for both teens, but at the time, they knew it would be inappropriate to sleep in the same bed.

Soo Jin muttered a "you too" before she her side to look out into the night. Seoul was still quite busy although it was nearly past eleven.

A few hours later, Hansol was awoken by a small voice. He turned to Soo Jin who had her covers off half of her bed and looked at him with sad eyes. 

"I-I'm cold," Soo Jin stuttered. Her weak heart didn't allow the necessary amount of blood to reach her body so in return, her temperature plummets at times, "c-can you, um-" Hansol understood what the girl was getting at and obliged. 

He ripped his covers off of him and walked over to the other bed, crawling onto it, and wrapping his arms around Soo Jin. Immediately, Hansol's body heat transferred to her and Soo Jin sighed in comfort. The two, although slightly uncomfortable from the awkward situation, couldn't help but feel how perfect the two fit together in their spooning position.

They slept like that throughout the night until dawn broke and Hansol's phone alarm rung, signaling they have to get going back to the hospital.