.3.

Life Support

After taking ten minutes to find a parking spot, Hansol locked his car with a beep in response and made his way to the entrance of the hospital. From the ground, the thirty story building beckoned down at him and he grew dizzy from looking up at the top. Ambulances buzzed by occasionally as Hansol made his way across the lot. One, whose lights flashed and horns blared, nearly clipped him as it sped off the grounds to respond to an emergency.

After taking a second to collect himself, he entered the building through an automated door and immediately was taken aback. There were a bunch of doctors running around the lobby taking care of patients and people lounging in the waiting room coughing and sneezing. Hansol felt disgusted when he saw spray come from the nose of a sick person and he found the nearest hand sanitizer and surgical mask desk.

He walked down the hall with a white mask placed over his mouth and nose, watching his every move to avoid contact. He had never been around this many sick people. The hospitals he went to when he's sick, which were more expensive and luxurious, were very clean and not as busy.

After signing his contracts, Hansol was handed a packet detailing his entire volunteer opportunity. He didn't bother to read it and instead went to a club with friends. He regreted that decision as he couldn't find the spot he needed to be. All he knew was that he had to talk to a man by the name of Dr. Boo.

He asked a nurse and she pointed in the general direction while typing away on a computer. Where she pointed stood two doctors, both quite attractive. One had light brown hair with black roots, signaling his light brown hair was artificial, and the other had a black quiff and brown eyes.

"Hey!" The black-haired one called to him, "Are you Hansol?" As he called to him, he also eyed him up and down and shook his head disapprovingly. Hansol approached the two and nodded, reading both of their badges. The blonde one is named Dr. Lee and the other, Dr. Boo.

"You can't wear that. Come with me." Mr. Boo tsked. He led Hansol to a small closet which he opened with his key card and pulled out an atrocious looking scrub suit. Hansol's face scrunched at the sight of the coral blue fabric.

"This obviously isn't a designer." Dr. Boo simply rolled his eyes and commanded that Hansol on the suit. With a few objections, he finally gave in while feeling embarrassed he was wearing the ugly clothing.

The constant running and bustling of everybody in the building was something new to Hansol. Normally, he was in calm environments with people dressed in Versace and Coutour, not around people in their pajamas and street market sweaters. He swallowed the urge to walk out the door, reminding himself of what he will be losing if he did, and followed Mr. Boo down a long corridor.

They arrived at a room with a few beeping machines and a sleeping child in the bed. He had no hair and looked sickly pale. Hansol walked in with the doctor and crossed his arms.

"Just observe for right now. It's a busy day if you couldn't tell." Hansol simply nodded and watched as the man in the white coat softly nudged the boy awake. His eyes fluttered open and Hansol's face turned to a look of disgust when he saw dark red circling the child's irises. His eye sockets were a muted purple and the veins in his forehead protruded slightly.

"Hi, Eli. How are you feeling today?" As Dr. Boo asked him a few questions to gauge his state. Eli clutched a matted stuffed animal and pouted his lip.

Hansol sat quietly in the corner, uninterested in what was going on around him and rolled his eyes occasionally, until Eli peered out from in behind Dr. Boo and asked him, "Who's he, Mr. Boo?"

Mr. Boo  chuckled and introduced Hansol as a volunteer. When the latter word rolled off of his tongue, Eli's eyes lit up and he smiled as much as he could but discomfort could still be seen behind it. Anyone would have felt sympathy for the small child, but Hansol just put on an obviously fake smile and gave a half-assed wave.

"Hi, Hansol." Eli waved shyly. He clutched his stuffed animal closer to his frail body and waited for a response.

"Hey, kid." Hansol uttered, while looking out into the hallway. Eli catched on to Hansol's disinterest, pouting as he went back to Hansol's check-up.

Dr. Boo finished a few moments later, after checking Eli's vitals, switching out his IV bags, and prescribing him another dose of chemotherapy. Dr. Boo has always sympathized with Eli. Ever since he came into his office after being diagnosed with advanced-stage Leukemia, he had taken a liking towards the kid.

Before both Hansol and Dr. Boo can made it out of the door, Eli called for Hansol, holding out his stuffed animal, "I want you to have this."

"No, no. You keep it, it's yours." Hansol declined somewhat politely. The item was Eli's but he really didn't want it because it was probably old and it looked cheap. Dr. Boo shot daggers at Hansol, signaling to just take the stuffed dog and Hansol obliged. The thing felt rough in his hands and it looked as if there were food remnants caked in its plushy fur.

Eli smiled as Hansol grasped it in his hands and left.

"Bye!" Eli yelled as he turned Pororo on with a remote. The last thing Hansol heard before the door shut to his room was the laughter of the main character which always annoyed him immensely.

Across the hall, Hansol saw a garbage can. Before Dr. Boo turned around, he chucked the worn out stuffed animal into the receptical and jogged to catch up to him. It's not like he was really going to keep it anyways. It was old, moldy, and smelly; three words that Hansol did not want to have associated with something he owns.

Dr. Boo and Hansol rounded a corner connected to the children's wing and Dr. Boo stopped abruptly. Swinging around, he pointed a finger at Hansol's chest and his top lip curled up slightly.

"I saw you in there. That smile was as fake as Nurse Kim's s. That child in there is going to die soon. The least you can do is act like you care," Dr. Boo spat at Hansol's face a few times as he accentuated some words, "because if you're not, you might as well walk out of here right now." With that, Dr. Boo walked away to care for his next patient while leaving Hansol to follow far behind.

Dr. Boo might be right, but it was going to take one hell of a wake up call to make Hansol enjoy being in this hell hole.