.4.

Life Support

"This is gonna make you very lightheaded and weak-" Soo Jin stopped the doctor, who looked slightly confused from the abrupt interruption, by continuing his statement for her. "-and you will be put on the table where the MRI will scan your heart.

"Doctor, I've heard it all before." Soo Jin reassured Doctor Joo. She appreciated the doctor taking every step to make sure she was comfortable, but it only got more and more annoying each time. She didn't mean to be rude, but she liked it more when they just got it all over with.

Doctor Joo handed Soo Jin a small medicine cup filled to the brim with a lavender colored liquid. She threw it to the back of , cringing at the metallic and bitter taste that lingered all the way down to her stomach. It took a while for the effects to kick in, but when they did, they hit her hard. The room began spinning, her head grew foggy, and her limbs going weak. So weak that she nearly fell out the chair she was sitting in.

The only way for her to get on the table attached to the MRI machine was for her mother and the doctor to carry her. Once she was on the table, she was strapped in and a loud whirring sound came from the large, donut shaped contraption. Inside, a gigantic magnet span and took photographs of Soo Jin's heart, giving an image that the doctor was able to examine.

The forty minutes Soo Jin was stuck in the machine flew by. She sung her favorite songs in her head, counted sheep, and fell asleep a few times but was woken up by the constant sound around her. When the time was up, Soo Jin was able to get off of the table herself because the medicine had worn off and Doctor Joo led her and her mother to a large room with numerous computer screens with images of Soo Jin's beating heart on them. Joo sat them down quietly and motioned to the screens.

"Alright. So I have all of the photos I need right here. As you know, over the past few weeks, your heart has grown weaker and after today's results, I'm afraid to say... I don't have any different results. In fact," he paused and gulped softly, "your heart failure is increasing exponentially."

Soo Jin was in shock. Her body was as limp as it was when she took the medicine earlier. She couldn't stand to hear that she wasn't getting any better. She had done all he had been told to do: she took her medicine, she exercised, she ate healthy, she took every measure she could to slow down the progression of her condition and none of it worked.

In fact, it made it worse. Tears rolled down Soo Jin's cheeks and she looked toward her mother who was also crying, her mascara creating black lines down her tanned skin. She cupped her cheek and cooed, "Don't cry, mama. I'm okay." She knew it was a lie, but she had to be strong for her. She needed her strength for what was certain to happen soon.

"As you can see here, the number of dying cells that make up your heart is increasing, which is what is worsening your condition." Joo continued. Soo Jin couldn't feel anything. She couldn't hear anything. All she knew was that she was going to die and there was no way in saving her. She knew it. Doctor Joo didn't even have to tell her. She felt it in her bones; every atom that made her up were telling her she was going to die.

She couldn't hold it in anymore. Tears turned to full on waterfalls and she went limp in her chair, falling into her mother's lap. Her own tears fell onto her crippled daughter's beautiful face. Doctor Joo awkwardly watched as the mother and daughter broke down in his room, waiting for them to catch a breath. After many minutes of sobbing into her mother's skirt and half a box of Kleenex, Soo Jin was ready to hear the rest of what Joo had to say. Taking a few breaths, she regained her composure and wiped her damp eyelashes.

"Because of your state, I am ordering you be placed under medical watch and care at a hospital closer to your home. They have the equipment to further your life that we don't have available here." Joo sighed as he finished what he had to say and looked to Soo Jin for a reaction but saw nothing. Soo Jin stared at him emotionless and asked, "When do I start my stay there?" One last tear rolled down her cheek.

"Your stay is effective immediately." There was one last question that wasn't  answered but her mother's presence prevented her from asking it. She didn't want her to hear what the doctor had to say. She's been through enough.

After signing a few transfer papers, Soo Jin and her mother headed to the car, escorted by Dr. Joo. As her mother took her seat in the driver seat, Soo Jin walked over to the doctor, out of earshot so her mother couldn't hear.

"How much longer do I have?" Soo Jin questioned, not really sure how to phrase the question. It was not often you asked someone how long you had left to live.

Dr. Joo looked at her questioningly, digging in his pockets nervously, "What do you mean, Soo Jin?"

"How long do I have left to live?" Joo fumbled in his pockets furiously, he had been trying to avoid this situation for as long as he could, but now was the time.

"From your MRI results today, I'd say you have five months left, a year to the maximum." Soo Jin choked, shocked by the little time she had left. But then again, how much did she expect to have?

She knew she wouldn't have much, but five months maximum was nothing. She expected more tears to fall, but none did. Instead she closed her eyes for a few seconds and let out a long sigh. 'Everything will be okay' is the only thought that ran through her mind. Her mother had taught her at an early age, positivity brought out positive outcomes. But Soo Jin wasn't so sure if she was right this time.

Soo Jin left Dr. Joo with nothing but a small smile and a nod of her head and walked to her mother's rusted car. She plopped into the passenger seat, clutching her chest when she felt her heart pumping sporadically and fast. She took a few deep breaths, calming her nerves, and turned up the radio before her mother pulled out of the drive and they made their way to the hospital where Soo Jin would be staying.