O 2 ` the new guy

Let`s Run Away

"He said it to you? Are you serious?" Soori said after I told her the story. We were sitting in class again and I swear, that guy kept looking back. Soori sighed. "That guy is hopeless. I don't get what he sees in you."

I pouted. "How rude."

"Sorry, but you have to be honest. He's like THE perfect guy. He's THE ideal man or dream guy. He's THE guy you can never get. And here you are, saying that THE guy told you he loves you. You, a not ugly girl, but not absolutely gorgeous either," she said. I nodded in agreement. I wasn't conceited enough to say I'm the best looking girl and I'm not so negative to say I'm ugly to myself in the mirror. I think I'm just pretty. But Youngbae said I was THE most beautiful. Beat that, Soori. But I didn't want to sound like I was bragging.

"I think I was a saint in my past life to get something like this," I said. I was really grateful for everything but man, oh, man, Dong Youngbae is the best thing that's happened to me. "Hey, did Professor Kim just say PROJECT? Didn't we just finish one last week?"

Soori nodded. "And now he wants another one. He hates us."

I listened to what the professor was saying for once and groaned at his requirements. A NEW group. Seriously. If I just worked with Soori again, I'd get a 100% with flying colors, if not then I'd get 99%. Soori and I were the unbeatable team. I looked over at her. Then at the rest of my fifty-people class. I probably knew 80% of them and talked to only 10%.

"I could talk to Hyunjoong now! This is great!" Well at least my ex-partner was enthusiastic. I looked over at the new guy who seemed to have no one around him. Don't be a nice girl, don't be a nice girl, I had to repeat over and over. Yes, some people were approaching him. But wait, where do I go? Everyone was already making groups and I'm here being left behind?! I looked over to someone who used to attend my high school.

"Sunye-ah!" I called. "Hey, we haven't been in the same group yet."

Sunye smiled. I hoped that wasn't an apologetic one. "I guess we could make one with you. But the thing is, I've already promised to go with Yeeun and them. How about we split the group in two?"

I shrugged. Better than nothing. She brought the big group closer together and I noticed the new guy in the circle. Hmm, guess he's part of the group, too.

"Well, there's Sohee, me, Yeeun, Jaeyan, Jiyong, and Seunghyun. How about us three together," she paused and pointed at herself and the other two girls, "and you three?"

Jiyong crossed his arms, unsatisfied with her choices. And I agreed. Why do I have to be stuck with these two?! "I want Sohee." Sohee smiled at him and I found them cheesier than Youngbae and I together. But no one beats us two.

Sunye rearranged the teams but Sohee complained. I heard her whisper to Sunye, "Us two, alone~" I looked away and rolled my eyes and I thought that Seunghyun saw it. I coughed and made myself look innocent.

"Well, I guess we'll just do partners. I've promised to go with Yeeun, so I guess that leaves us with Jaeyan and Seunghyun," she said, "Hope you don't mind. I'm sure you'll work well together."

OF COURSE I MIND. I don't know the guy. I shook my head, "We'll do our best." As if. I don't want to work with him at all. He was the first guy to trip me.

`


Soori began to laugh as I ate the ramyun sadly. "You and the new guy?! And he tripped you yesterday? WOW. This is funny. I can't wait to see how clumsy you two would be together."

I rolled my eyes. "How are you and Daesung?"
Hm, and Miss I-can't-stop-laughing stopped laughing. "What's wrong, Soori-yah~"
Maybe he was a pain, too.

"You know, Daesung's actually kind of a great partner." I froze. "What?"

Soori gave that shy smile and looked down. OH. MY. GAWD. Kang Daesung?! "You..."

She closed her eyes and admitted it. "I like Daesung!" Face palm.

`

I looked around the library, searching for a kind of handsome boy. Okay, very handsome. I saw him sitting down by a table but he looked... different. In class, he usually wears those black rimmed glasses and now, his face is much clearer. And nicer... to look at. I shook the thoughts away and headed towards him.

"So..." I said, sitting across from him. I saw that he was reading a book. I tried to read the title but couldn't get it out right. He closed the book just as I was about to read it and put it away.

"So. Let's get started." He got his gold messenger bag out and brought out a lot of pencils. "We have to lay out how the cells work, right?"

"Uh, yeah," I said. I already felt like running away and just do this project by myself. But what did the professor say? Group work is important. It's part of being a leader and it links to how people work together and find discoveries.

I looked over at Seunghyun who was already laying out information. It's not that he wasn't a good partner or anything but... I wasn't so sure yet. I found myself staring at him and I had to admit, this guy had a great profile. His jawline was clearly shown and it was y, but it didn't compare to Youngbae's. And he was wearing this v-neck sweater, revealing a bit of the collar bones that proved to have another iness appeal. I looked at his face and felt so amazed... and I realized that even though he was staring at the poster, he was grinning. I quickly looked away and crossed my arms. Did he catch me?!

"You know we're doing cells, not the human body," he said and I blushed, feeling embarrassed. I tried to keep it cool.

"That's exactly what I was thinking about." Oh man. I just want to go home and eat ice cream or something.

"Well, you do realize that my face isn't a cell."

I rolled my eyes. He looked up at me and I kept my eyes focused on this bright pink book on one of the shelves. I felt like he was staring at me for a few minutes before the awkward tension was broken by the vibration of my cell phone. I quickly looked at the display and smiled.

"Hello, Youngbae?" I answered cheerfully. Is it possible for a guy to make me this happy? I think so. "Yeah, I'm still at the library. I'm not sure when I'll be done..." I glanced at the poster filled with only the work of Choi Seunghyun. "Maybe later. I'll call you."

I pressed the red button and looked back at my partner. Maybe I should start doing some work. "Seunghyun-ah, I think you've already done a lot. I'll take care of the rest for today."

He passed me the poster and I had to look over some notes before writing information down. I noticed that he didn't move. "Aren't you leaving?"

"My work here isn't done. It's GROUP work, after all." He shifted his position and put his chin on the palm of his hands while his elbows rested on the table. We met eyes and I gulped. His eyes were sharp. It had some kind of feeling inside that I couldn't really get.

Another half hour passed and we called it a day. We were done the first part of our project and I must say I was satisfied. We cleaned up and I felt good inside, as if I was going to ace this thing even without the help of Jung Soori. I took out my phone and dialed the first speed dial. After the first ring tone, I heard Youngbae answer with this delighted and sweet tone.
"Youngbae!" I said. "Hey, I'm done now. Are you still planning on picking me up?" I waited for an answer. "Oh, I see. It's okay, I'll wait! Just call me when you're here."

I put the phone in my pocket and found Seunghyun standing, looking down at me. Was he waiting or something?
"You haven't left yet?"

"No, I've already left. That's why I'm still here," he said in a sarcastic voice. How rude. He could've just said the reason why he was still here. "Is your brother coming to pick you up?"

I shook my head. "Youngbae is my boyfriend, not my brother."

"Oh, kind of looked like a brother-sister relationship to me," he said and started walking as soon as I did.

"Aren't you going home yet?"

"Aren't you?"

"I'm waiting for my BOYFRIEND," I said, emphasizing on the role of Youngbae.

"I'll wait here with you." I looked at him with oddness. I really found this guy weirder and weirder by the day.

"Why?"

"To keep you company. There's a lot of guys that tend to hang around the library looking for pretty, smart girls."

I raised an eyebrow. "Are you calling me pretty and smart?"

"I never said that," he replied and leaned against the wall. Geez, what a guy.

`
E N D ; O O 2