1 O ` let's talk

Let`s Run Away

"Jaeyan... wake up! Jaeyan..." someone was whispering in my ear while they shook me. I was sleeping ever so perfectly but sometimes people just LOVE to ruin it. It hurt to open my eyes while the curtains were so open, letting the bright light shine by my eyes. 
"Park Jaeyan, hurry up and wake up! We need to get you to talk to your stupid boyfriend."

I covered my eyes with my hand, protecting it from the sun's light. I groaned, knowing that it could only mean one thing. I guessed that I hadn't mentioned the fact that I was currently not in a relationship. It wasn't one of those 'We're through...' breakups but more of that you don't want to even say.

"Soori..." I said slowly, still unable to adjust my eyes to the light. "I'm SOOOOOO sleepy. What time is it?"

I heard her sigh. "It's almost three PM. You should get your up. Or else someone will do an official stage performance for you."

I removed my hand as a cover and looked at her. She was frowning at me like she was a disappointed mother. I had to agree, I was disappointed to. It wasn't a problem that I could just push aside. And it wasn't supposed to be a problem I could run from... but I did, didn't I? Or was I still getting to the running away part?

"What is Dong Youngbae planning to do?" I asked her, getting up slowly and scratching my head. She grabbed my phone and shoved it close to my face. There was a message from him.

"He's been trying to call you and message you all day. He finally called me and told him to tell you. He wants to talk to you." I grabbed the phone and looked at the message. 
'Jaeyan, let's talk. I don't want to let go that easily. I want to talk to you even if it's just for one last time. I don't want to let the hand that I've been holding to be gone without a word. Please meet me.' He added the details of a place inside a mall. The time had said 3:00 PM. And I had about ten minutes till he started. That meant ten minutes to get ready, look nice, and get there.

"."

`

It was 3:30 and Soori and I were rushing around the mall to get to the center spot. Was Dong Youngbae actually going to do something crazy if I don't get there in time?

"Park Jaeyan!" Soori said, scolding me as we ran. "I can't believe that you slept in at this important day. You're a pain in the !"

I didn't want to reply when I felt like my heart was going to explode any minute. What was I going to do with Dong Youngbae? And then I heard his voice, calling out in a song. I froze where I was as soon as I saw him in the center of the mall, singing, the girls crowding around him slowly falling for him. Then his pretty eyes met mine. I could see a tear form in one of his eyes.

"Jaeyan, what are you doing? Go up there!" Soori cheered me on but I couldn't move my feet. How could I face a crying Youngbae in front of all these people? Was I strong enough? I shook my head.

"I'm sorry Soori... I—I can't do it." I turned around and began to run. I didn't want to look back and see his eyes follow me. I didn't want to see those heartbroken tears that he wasn't afraid to hide. I heard Soori call after me but I was running away. It was something I became really good at. 
And running into people was another skill I earned.

"Sorry," I said and went away when a hand grabbed my elbow.

"Park Jaeyan." His voice echoed in my head. I turned my body to see that the hand and voice belonged to Seunghyun. He gave me a worried look. "Are you okay with this?"

"With what? Running away?" He nodded. "Wasn't it you who told me that it was okay? Wasn't it you who said that running away was okay?"

"It is. But running away takes a lot. You know what could happen if you keep running, it will involve a lot of strength. It takes more courage than what you need to face this."

"I'm a coward, that's why I'm running away." I was holding back the tears that wanted to be set free.

"Do you really want to?" he asked and his eyes darted to something else behind me. He reached his hand out towards me and shifted his eyes to mine. "Just say the word, and we'll run."

Soori jumped in the way. "Yah, Choi Seunghyun! What are you doing? Let her deal with Youngbae! You can't—"

"Seunghyun, please..." I said quietly, looking into his eyes as I put my hand in his. And his legs began to move, taking mine along with him. I could hear the voice yelling, creating a scene.

"Jaeyan! Jaeyan!" I wish I could block out his voice from my head. I didn't have the right to ask to be forgiven. I tightly held onto Seunghyun's hand.

"Take me anywhere. Let's leave for more than just a day."

`

"We're alone again," he said. I couldn't even fake a smile.

"Yeah..." I replied. "Where do you plan to go?"

He shrugged. "I finally brought a car so I could take you anywhere."

"Thanks, Seunghyun." 
I looked out the window and watched the other cars pass by.

"Jaeyan, do you want to go on a short trip?"

"A trip?" I asked.

"Yeah, just to break away from this. And we don't have classes either," he said.

"Can I trust you?" I was suddenly afraid that it wouldn't go as promised. That he would be like me and he would leave.

"You can. You've already got my heart." I smiled and I knew it was real. I took his right hand and intertwined mine.

"Then wait for mine."

`

It was my mom who called me. I redialed her number and waited for an answer. I looked at Seunghyun who was leaning against the front of the car as I sat down in the shotgun seat.

"Hello?" Finally, an answer.

"Umma! Sorry I only got to you now," I said. I hoped that she would buy my excuse.

"Park Jaeyan, where are you?!" she yelled. "You know how worried I was?"

"Didn't I tell you that there was going to be a field trip to the science center? But the thing is, the bus we were riding on broke down so we might not be able to go back until tomorrow. The teacher already agreed to stay at a hotel for a while," I said, reciting everything that I planned to say.

"Jaeyan, I wish you called me earlier about this! And no, you didn't tell me. Why is Soori at home already?"

"Soori didn't go. Don't mention it to her. She already felt bad that she couldn't go, no need to rub it in her face." I felt even more bad for lying to the woman who loved me the most.

"Jaeyan..." Did she notice that I was lying? "Be careful with whoever you're with. You're grown up and I'm trusting you with your decisions."

"Umma..." she knew but she chose to support me. "I'll let you meet him one day." 
I stared at Seunghyun's back.

"Okay then," she replied. "I love you, Jaeyan."

"I love you, too, umma," I replied, thanking her in silence for understanding. I decided it was time to just take a slow walk instead of always running. I got out of the car and Seunghyun turned his head, revealing a perfect jawline and eyes that always captured me.

"Choi Seunghyun, let's talk."

`
E N D ; O 1 O