Solution

Hospital Happiness

It was a lovely neighbourhood. All the houses were unique with their own small front yards. You wandered around and admired the house façades, trying to clear your head. It was such a difference from your old tenement house. You sat down on the edge of the pavement. There was nowhere else to sit and no cars were passing anyway. Your phone rang and you answered it without checking the caller id.

“Don’t you like your new neighbours?”

“Jonghyun?”

“I’m sorry about your apartment.”

“I’m sure your are. How did you do with the insurance? Won’t you get in trouble?”

“I know some people. According to the papers your parents insured the apartment when you were born.” He made a short pause. “So, how are your neighbours? Are they nice?”

“You knew Gikwang lived here, didn’t you? How did you get this house?”

“Money means a lot to some people.”

“Why are you doing all of this?”

“Once the apartment is renovated you can sell it. It will give you a nice capital.”

“But, why?” you asked. “Is this really goodbye?” You couldn’t believe it. After all you had been through, after everything he had done for you. “Are you leaving me?”

“You are hereby free from our agreement,” he declared.

“Will I ever see you again?” A sob got stuck in your throat. You heard him chuckle.

“I’ll visit you at the restaurant from time to time,” he said in a sweet voice. You laughed lightly.

“I’ll miss you.”

“You won’t. I’ll be there when you need me.” He sighed.

“Jonghyun?”

“Yes?”

“Thank you. For everything. You saved me, you saved all of us, I…”

“Stop it. You had me at ‘thank you’, I take you on your word.”

“You do?”

“I do,” he chuckled at you. “Now go and get your lover boy.”

 

You nervously stepped on the spot. What were you going to say? You saw the handle get pushed down from the inside and had to resist the impulse to run away. The door opened and fire inspector Lee was standing in the doorway. You regretted this gravely by now. Mr Lee looked at you. The left corner of his mouth twitched upwards. You smiled nervously. He beamed at you.

“Gikwang is in the backyard,” he said and stepped aside to let you pass through the house. You bowed and walked inside. “You can keep your shoes on.”

 

You found Gikwang lying flat on his stomach on the lawn with his face buried in the grass. How could he breathe like that? You walked closer.

“Gikwang?” At the sound of your voice Gikwang turned his face towards you and shot up in a sitting position. He looked up at you with surprised eyes.

“~~~~~, I…” he began but his voice trailed off. You crouched down and started playing with the grass.

“I’m sorry,” you whispered. He stared at you without saying a word. You sighed and lay down on your back, staring up in the sky. “I’m sorry.”

“Don’t…”

“I’m sorry for hurting you, I’m sorry that my only excuse for all of this is that I needed the money. I’m sorry for acting the way I did. I’m sorry for everything.” A tear trickled down your cheek. Gikwang let out a deep sigh and lay down next to you. “I’m sorry for loving you.”

 

“I’ve been through a lot of pain. It took so much of me to leave you. It took even more to stay away from you. Your face at the restaurant that day, I just wanted to hold you and say that everything was just a lie, everything was going to be fine. My heart ached when I saw you with Jonghyun. But nothing hurt as much as hearing you say that you’re sorry that you love me. Because I’m not.” Gikwang turned his face to look at you and you did the same, tears dripping from your face. He wiped away a tear that was lingering on your nose. “I love you, I’ve never been so sure of anything in my life, and I haven’t regretted even for a second.” He turned back to staring at the sky. You kept looking at him. What had you ever done to deserve this kind of confession? This kind of man? You looked at his profile. He closed his eyes. You sat up slowly.

“Gikwang, I…” You hesitated and bit your lip as you leaned closer. “I love you,” you whispered and gently brushed your lips against his. Unexpectedly Gikwang put his hand behind your neck and pushed you closer to him. You deepened the kiss and let Gikwang taste your tongue.

 

Gikwang pulled away and just looked at you. His was face serious with a small light of hope glistening in his eyes.

“What does this mean?” he whispered.

“This means, that I’m all yours if you want me.” You lay back down and looked at him, who had gone back to look at the sky. A small movement made you look away from his face, down at his hand. Gikwang clenched his fist once before opening it and slowly reaching out his hands towards you. You carefully took it and you felt his fingers enclose your hand.

“I’ve been waiting and hoping for so long, I just never thought it would actually happen.” He turned to you and squeezed your hand lightly. Another tear rolled down your face and Gikwang reached out his free hand to wipe it away. “Don’t cry. I’ll take care of you from now on.” A smile came across your lips. Finally. Gikwang smiled brightly at you.

“I know you will,” you said. Gikwang laughed. He rolled over and landed on top of you, holding his weight up with his hands careful no to hurt you. He curled a lock of your hair behind your ear and pecked your lips. He looked deep into your eyes.

“I’ve never been this happy,” he said. He sighed and smiled sweetly at you. “I love you so much.”

“I love you too.”