Surprise at work

Hospital Happiness

You sat down by the kitchen table and looked through the bills before you headed off to work, and Jonghyun… you flipped through the papers. Where was your father’s hospital bill? You looked through the papers again. Nothing.

“Omma! Have you seen the hospital bill?” you shouted into the living room where your mother was working. Ironing for the neighbours or something…

“No. I haven’t touched today’s mail,” your mother called back. You frowned. The little ones couldn’t have touched it…

 

“Taeyeon-ah?” you knocked on your bedroom door.

“Neh?” Taeyeon answered and you entered the room.

“Have you seen appa’s hospital bill?” you asked.

“… No,” she answered. Why so hesitating?

“What? Have you seen it or not?”

“… No.” Taeyeon still sounded like she wasn’t sure. “Maybe it was just sent a little late, I’m sure it’ll turn up later this week.”

“Maybe… if you say so.” You walked out of the room and closed the door behind you. That felt… not right. You glanced at the watch. Time for work.

 

“You’re finally here!” your boss attacked you when you entered. Calm down, you were early God damn it.

“Yes, Boss. What are his directions today?” you asked.

“None. Just make sure that you sit by the table and wait for him when he arrives.”

“Yes, Boss.”

 

“What are you sitting here for? Let’s go!” Jonghyun grabbed your wrist and yanked you out of your seat. You gasped in surprise.

“But… what about the dinner?”

“We’ll eat someplace else today,” Jonghyun answered. HUH!? You pulled your arm free from Jonghyun’s grasp and stopped. He turned around and looked at you. You folded your arms over your chest.

“I can’t just leave work during my shift.”

“Sure you can, I already permission from your boss to take you out of here.” Jonghyun folded his arms too and smirked.

“You… what?” You spun around and stared towards the kitchen where your boss “innocently” helped with the food preparations. You glared at Jonghyun who was holding the door up for you.

“How did you do that?” you asked as you walked past him.”

“Do what?”

“Make him allowing me to leave.”

“Oh, easy. He let’s you go for the same reason you work at that restaurant,” Jonghyun said and smirked as he crunched a banknote in his hand. You glanced at it and sighed. “… And I arranged a substitute…”

“You what!?”

“Well, someone has to do the job while you’re out working hard.” Jonghyun said. You glared at him and sighed.

“Where are we going?”

 

“Ladies first,” Jonghyun said with a small hand motion. You hesitated. It felt a little scary actually. How well did you know this Jonghyun, really? And now he wanted you to jump into his car with tined windows and a hidden chauffeur. Who knows what deal he had made with your boss…

“I don’t know if…” you began.

“Come on ~~~~~, I’m not going to you,” Jonghyun said with a laugh.

“I didn’t think that!” Or did you…? You glanced at him. He didn’t look like a … Better to be on the safe side. “Why don’t we take the bus?” You smiled. Jonghyun’s chin dropped to the ground.

“A bus!?”

“Yeah…” What’s wrong with that? You looked at Jonghyun as his lips curved into a crazy smile. Uh-oh…?

“Then what are we waiting for? To the bus stop!” Jonghyun exclaimed and grabbed your wrist and pulled you with him.

 

“Take a seat, I’ll pay for you.” Jonghyun pushed you onto the bus. You stumbled a few steps forward before regaining your balance. You cursed Jonghyun in your head as you sat down beside an old man.

“What the… ~~~~~, there are thirty empty seats and you choose one that’s half occupied. Come with me.” Once again Jonghyun grabbed your wrist and you yelped in shock when he pulled you to your feet and dragged you to an empty two-seat seat. He sat down and pulled you down next to him.

“This is more like it,” Jonghyun said satisfied with himself. Stupid, bossy Jonghyun.

“I want to sit next to the window,” you pouted. You didn’t really care where you sat, you just wanted to show Jonghyun that you could be bossy too. That didn’t work out too well though… Jonghyun put one hand on either side of your waist and pulled you onto his lap.

“Problem solved.”

 

You sprang to your feet with a squeaky sound. What the…

“Why did you do that?” You glared at him with your hands on your hips.

“Just fulfilling your wish,” he chuckled and switched seat to the one next to the aisle and motioned for you to sit in the window seat. You plopped yourself down beside him and crossed your arms while staring out the window.

“Don’t be like that,” Jonghyun said.

“Like what?” You asked in a sharp voice and snapped your head in his direction.

“Like that.” Jonghyun crooked an eyebrow. “Lighten up already, we’re going to have fun, and we’re going by bus!” You couldn’t help but laugh at him sounding so excited.

“What? It was a long time since a last rode a bus,” Jonghyun defended himself. You rolled your eyes at him.

“Whatever.”