In the alleys

Hospital Happiness

You don’t know what you’re talking about

 

Taeyeon had been out of the apartment before you had had a chance to talk to her. Now you were sitting in class without being able to concentrate. Your eyelids kept falling close and Taeyeon’s words kept running through your mind.

 

You don’t know what you’re talking about

 

You forced your eyes open and stared at the white board and wrote down the words written there. Yoona nudged your hand and your sleepy eyes tried to focus on hers.

“~~~~~-ah, you should go home and rest. You will get sick pushing yourself like this,” she said. You shook your head.

“I’m not tired,” you said while your eyes closed again. Hyoyeon tapped your shoulder from behind.

“Don’t lie to us. You look like a panda with those shadows under your eyes.” Not as sensitive as Yoona, but still obviously worried. “Just listen to us for once.” Your friends looked at you with pleading eyes. For the first time ever, you gave in.

“Fine, I’ll go home. But I’ll stay until lunch, though,” you settled. Yoona and Hyoyeon nodded understanding that you wouldn’t budge from your decision.

 

“I can call for someone to pick you up,” Yoona offered.

“No need,” you said. “I’ll take the bus.” Not, you would obviously walk. Hyoyeon reached you a paper bag.

“Take it.” You started to protest but both Yoona and Hyoyeon put on a scary look and you bowed and accepted the gift.

“See you tomorrow.” The girls waved as you walked away.

Thank you!

 

You don’t know  what you’re talking about

 

You slowly made your way home. You felt bad for skipping school. Your parents had worked really hard to pay your school fees. You kicked an empty can and it hit a sign. You read it. “Construction site, pedestrians refers to the other side of the road.” You did as you were instructed and walked across the street and continued your journey home.

 

You ate the food Hyoyeon had given you and then went to sleep for a few hours. You woke up when your mother and the kids came home from the hospital. You dazedly stumbled out to the kitchen.

“Welcome home,” you mumbled.

“You’re home?” you’re mother asked as the twins ran cheering to hug your legs.

“I didn’t feel well. But I will be going to work tonight,” you assured her. Your mother frowned at you.

“You’re not wearing yourself out, right?” She looked worried and you felt bad. You plastered a smile on your face, the one you always put on during work.

“Of course not. It might be small cold, it’s nothing.”

 

You don’t know what you’re talking about

 

On my way home from work I decided to take a different route. I kept to smaller streets, but stayed out of -marked alleys. I was walking slowly while humming quietly to myself. Suddenly the peace on the small street was disturbed when a gate opened to one of the three-story office building that lined the street.

 

The person coming out of the building struggled a bit with the door before rolling out a carriage with cleaning equipment. The young woman started to walk towards the next gate while singing, a very familiar song. The song that you had just been humming. The song your father sung to you and your sister as a lullaby when you were younger. The song you knew that your father had made up and composed just for his own children.

 

You don’t know what you’re talking about

 

“Taeyeon-ah?”