The reason

Hospital Happiness

“Gikwang, what are you doing here!? Didn’t you see the cordon?”

“I did. I helped them to put it up,” he said with a small smile.

“You… what?” Suddenly you realized. Lee Gikwang. You turned around and saw fire inspector Lee flash you a smile before returning to his job. You looked at Gikwang.

“Yeah, he’s my father,” he said. Typical. Of all the millions Mr Lees… you started to back away.

“Well, thank you for your consideration, but I have to call Taeyeon.” You turned around and tried to flee from the situation. He had told you that you were over, that he had moved on. Then why did his hand around your wrist tell you otherwise?

 

“~~~~~-ah, please.” You didn’t turn back to face him. You were afraid that your feelings would betray you. “~~~~~-ah, look at me.” You didn’t.

“Why are you here?” you asked him. He sighed in frustration.

“Isn’t it obvious?”

“Not to me,” you said, still with your back facing him.

“When I heard about the fire I was afraid something happened to you. I needed to make sure you were okay, that you will be okay.” Gikwang walked to stand in front of you. “Do you have a place to stay?”

“I don’t know,” you said and stared hard into the ground. He put a hand underneath your chin and tilted you’re your head up forcing you to face him.

“It’s time to think of something,” he said.

 

It is time

 

You pushed Gikwang’s hand away.

“You go back to your girlfriend, I can handle this myself.” With those words you stormed away. Your tears and feelings overwhelmed you. Why did he have to show up? Weren’t you just about to get over him? Forget him? No, obviously not.

 

You left the cordon and found a calm place. You picked your phone and a rumpled note from your jeans pocket. While dialling the number you prayed it was going to give you what you needed.

“Yoboseyo,” a male voice in the other end said. You didn’t know what to say.

“I was told to call this number…”

“Yes, is it about the house?” The house? What house?

“Yes?”

“It’s ready, you can move in whenever you like.” The man gave you the address, told you where to find the key and thanked you before hanging up. You owned a house? You leaned against the brick wall behind you and tried to collect your thoughts. A tear rolled down your cheek and a whisper escaped your lips.

“Jonghyun.”

 

You walked into the hospital room and found Taeyeon sleeping curled up next to Yoseob. He looked up at you with sleepy eyes as you walked up to the bed. He nodded slightly at you.

“Sorry, did I wake you up?” you asked quietly.

“Yeah, but don’t worry. I’m glad you came by, was there something..:” Yoseob interrupted himself and sniffed in the air. He looked at you. “You smell like smoke.”

“That was the reason I…” Yoseob interrupted you by sniffing in the air again. his face lit up in a smile.

“You smell like Gikwang!” He clapped his hands and started bouncing up and down in the bed. Taeyeon groaned in her sleep. “Oh, sorry jagiya,” he whispered and caressed Taeyeon’s cheek before eagerly turning to you. “So, tell me. Did you make up? Are you a couple again?”

“No, I thought he had moved on,” you said. “Wasn’t he dating that other girl?” you asked ruefully and confused.

“~~~~~, are you stupid!?” Yoseob ruffled his hair. “Aish! He overheard the conversation between you and Jonghyun. He heard everything! He heard how you told Jonghyun you didn’t have feelings for him, that you were in love with Gikwang,” Yoseob said.

“He was there?”

“Of course he was, he ran over to the restaurant as soon as he heard about your dad.”

“But, if he heard… if he knew how I felt… why?”

“Don’t you understand? He knew that you needed the money. He didn’t want your feelings for him to stop you from getting what you really needed and that he couldn’t give you. He believed you could be happy with Jonghyun. He just made it easier for you to leave him. He loves you, ~~~~~-ah, he just wanted you to be happy.”