Another birthday party

Hospital Happiness

Three weeks later

You were back at work, but only working part time. Your mother was doing well as manager at that restaurant and she was getting well paid. Your father was now at home and in two weeks he would be starting at his new, very calm (!) job as a secretary in an office. Taeyeon, when she wasn’t visiting Yoseob at the hospital she was at home doing shores and sometimes picking up the kids from the day care. Next year she would go to school though, Jonghyun had made sure of that.

 

It was the day before your youngest sister’s third birthday and your entire family was, including Jonghyun, were busy preparing the party. The first children’s party to be held in this household.

 

You were cleaning the living room thoroughly, putting away things that might break or the children might hurt themselves on. You knew that Jonghyun was watching you from the doorway into the kitchen but you pretended not to notice him. You kept on your preparations, but when you tried to move the old sofa all by yourself he sighed and stepped in to help you.

“Thanks,” you mumbled and got ready to continue with your work but Jonghyun stopped you by putting his hand on your shoulder. You turned around and looked at him. He gazed back at you with sad eyes.

“Is there nothing I can do to make you happy?” he asked. You succeeded to smile at him and shrug his hand off of your shoulder.

“I already am happy,” you said and gently touched his hand before going back to cleaning. Seemed like your lying skills were improving.

 

Twenty four hours later the apartment was filled with screaming babies who were all over the place playing and laughing. You, Taeyeon and Jonghyun had your hands full with making sure no accidents occurred and your mother was working hard in the kitchen. Just when Taeyeon seemed to be on her breaking point your mother called all the children to the table, that was now standing where the couch used to be, and took over for a while.

“I don’t think I’ll ever be able to have children,” Taeyeon sighed and shook her head.

“You don’t have to get twenty of them,” Jonghyun mumbled.

 

Your birthday sister was thrilled over all the presents that her friends had brought her, she wasn’t used to it. When all the other kids left the table your sister stayed behind and looked at the presents and sorted them out in front of her. Jonghyun seized the opportunity and approached her. He sat down in a chair beside her and she gladly climbed over to his lap. He smiled at her and she showed him all of her teeth as a reply.

“I’m sorry I couldn’t fulfil your wish.” Jonghyun curled a lock of her hair behind her ear. “I promise I will make it up to you.” Your sister looked as confused as you felt as you watched them from the corner of the room. Jonghyun took out a small box from his pocket and gave it to your sister. She accepted it and opened it right away.

“Pretty,” she said happily. She picked up a necklace from the box and reached it to Jonghyun. “Help me.” She struggled to hold all of her hair up as Jonghyun locked the necklace behind her neck.

“I hope you like it, I had it made only for you,” Jonghyun said with a smile. Your sister threw her arms around his neck and clung onto him.

“Not like, love.” She smiled and gave him a wet kiss on the cheek before climbing down from his lap and joining her friends in their game. Jonghyun glanced at you before standing up and leaving the room. You looked after him. That was strange. A funny feeling permeated your body and you had no idea what it was. What wish was it that he couldn’t fulfil?