Charcoal

Graphite Love

I'm really surprised. The boy I met at the mountain is here. I quickly opened my pencil case and take out the pencil. I turn at him and showed the pencil and he smiled at me. We must wait for the class to end to formally greet each other.

"Hi Jungkook. Why don't you tell me you're transferring here?" 

"Hello, surprise!! Why don't you introduce me to the classmate." He asked. I was excited about meeting him that I forgot he don't know anyone here yet.

"This is my best friend, Mina, Dasom, Hwaryoung. Beside you is my childhood friend, Sungjae." I introduced him to my friend first but then the whole class come and introduced themselves. 

When he is busy meeting his new friend, Mina asked me,"Hayoung, how do you know him?"

"He's the pencil boy from the mountain." Mina knew about him. I tell her about the boy who give me a pencil when we visited the mountain.

"Wow, how did he end up here?"

"I don't know."

....

The period after that was free because our Mathematics teacher is having a meeting.

"Hey Hayoung, how's the career meeting?" Jungkook asked.

"I've not attended it yet. My turn is after school today." 

"Still confused?"

"Yeah, but not as much as before I meet you. Thanks."

"Nah, I don't do anything. After this is recess right? Can you give me a tour?" He asked.

I turned to my friend to asked them because wee always eat together.

"No need to walk far. Just show me the way, I'll find out myself after school. Please Mina, can I borrow her?" he asked Mina.

"Just remember to return her." Dasom answered. Mina just smiled.

....

Before we went out for recess, Minhyuk come to meet Jungkook. I heard their conversation from my seat.

"Hey Jungkook. I'm here as the representative of the football club, the coach has seen your file and he will be glad to have you as our trial member. This evening we will be having training at the school field. If you impressed the coach he will make you a parmanent member of the club. But from what I've heard, the training is just a formality to introduce you to thee teammate as your experiencee in the Nationals is very impressive. By the way, I'm Minhyuk, Midfielder." He shake hand with Jungkook.

"It's my pleasure to join the team. I'm Jungkook, side back."

"Side back? I thought you'r a midfielder." Minhyuk looks surprised. I don't know why because I know nothing about football so I don't understand anything that they were saying.

"Don't be shocked if many representative of other club come to meet you. Your file is amazing Jungkook." Minhyuk left to his seat.

I quickly went to his seat and asked,"Wow, you are talented in many things. Football, arts. Whats amazing about your file?"

"Nothing, haha. Let's go for our tour." 

....

I showed him all th important places. Some I just pointed from the window as it is far and we need to go to the cafe to eat. When we arrived at an empty classroom, Jungkook entered the room.

"Jungkook, what are you doing there? This class is no longer used. It is used as the store for the broken table." I explained.

"Perfect. The light is still working. Is this place restricted for students?" he asked.

"No but people just come here to send the broken table and chairs."

"If I cleaned this place it will be a perfect studio for me."He smiled and leave the class.

"But we already have a studio."

"That's for everyone. That's my private studio. I'm gonna clean it after school. The guards say that the school gatee only will be locked at 5 so I will be able to use it until 5." 

.....

-cafe-

We sit with my friend.

"Hayoung, remember tonight?" Sungjae asked.

"What?Oh, the movie. Ok." I nodded to Sungjae.

Jungkook was answering the question from the girls. Mina was quiet. She always like that around people she don't know.

"Hey, stop asking, he need to eat!" Sungjae said to Dasom and Hwaryoung.

"Thanks man." Jungkook said slowly to Sungjae.

...

What Minhyuk said is true. Many other representative com to Jungkook. Arts, Math and Theater.

"Why you choose football, not arts?" I asked.

"I'm a man. I love football. Beside Arts for me, I don't really want to entered any club because I hav found my own 'studio'."

I just smiled at him.

"Weren't you late for your career talk?" He asked.

I looked at my watch and realized that I need to go now.

"If you want to talk I'll be at my studio." He said.

....

"Talk about what with you, transfer student?" Sungjae asked.

"About the career talk." Jungkook grab his backpack and walk away.

"You are too close to her. This is just your second meeting. Keep your distant." Sungjae seems like warning him.

"Don't worry, I'll follow the speed limit. But why are you going too slow?" Jungkook said and left.

....

After the career meeting, I was again confused. So I decided to meet the only student here at school now, Jungkook. The other has go home as many extra-curricular activities started in the evening.

When I entered the class, I saw him drawing with a charcoal. His drawing is a bit messy this time.

"Hi Hayoung, how's it going?"

"Mr Sukjin make me even more confused. I have about 12 course suitable for me in the university. He even said that it was hard to guide me as I have no preferencs and speciality. My skills in studying only give me the qualification in many course that I don't even know which to choose." I explained

"Haha. Same as mine. I've already have the talk in my previous school. Too many choices. I sometimes envy people that only have one target in life as they can work hard for it. But it goes like this..." He hand me the charcoal. Then he take it back.

"That's life. Even if you don't do anything it will affect you." I look at my finger. The charcoal left a black mark on my fingers. He handed me a tissue.

"Look at this. We're the artist with a charcoal drawing our future. We decided it ourself what we want to draw. But if we only imagine and not started drawing, time will past and it will affect us like the charcoal. But if we cannot fully imagine but we started, it will be messy but something will eventually be shaped on the canvas just like the charcoal. We're the artist of our life Hayoung. If you don't know what to do, just go with the flow, don't be stucked. You'll find the answer later. It's okay to make mistake now. We're only 18. We can always erase it. And have fun now when you're 18, because in the future you can't go back to this time." He smiled.

I listen attentively and still listening when he finished talking. He look at me.

"Hayoung??"

"Wow! You really have many talents. The newest I've found is motivational speakers." We laughed. Only then I realised that he already clean this place.

"Okay I need to leave now. Have a training this evening. Wanna walk with me."

As we walk, I showed him the way around the school. And then the nighbourhood. But then I realised that he was walking with me until I reach my house.

"Why are you following me? You must hurry or you will miss the training." I said when we reached th gate of my house.

"You live here? Great. I actually live next door." Jungkook smiled.

"WHAT!!"