Chapter 7

The Police Officer
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jungkook woke up to the sound of a snoring girl, who was sleeping deeply with her head placed on his shoulder. He slowly opened his eyes as he looked around, for a second confused seeing the dark grey bars. He then recalled last night’s moment, in where Jungkook kept Hyeri company and told her the story of his uncle. The police officer didn’t even know why he told the girl that. He was not that type of boy who would tell personal information to just anyone. Taehyung was the only person who knew about his uncle and this whole goddamn case. However, there was something about Hyeri… Jungkook had this strange feeling that he could trust her, which was weird because he never trusted anyone.

Jungkook tried to sit up straight from his uncomfortable position. While he was doing this, he unintentionally woke up the sleeping girl next to him. Jungkook looked at her as she tried to wake up from her slumber. Hyeri stretched her body and opened her eyes, looking around and noticing the young police officer looking at her. Or rather, staring at her.

Hyeri smiled sheepishly as she noticed him staring at her. “Do I have something on my face Officer Jeon?”.

Jungkook was confused for a second, but when he realised that he was staring at her, he quickly looked away with a light shade of red on his cheeks. Clearing his throat, he quickly tried to think of another topic to talk about, so that he could avoid this awkward situation. “It seems like I fell asleep in here last night…”, Jungkook awkwardly said as he nervously scratched the back of his head. Hyeri just nodded her head as she sat up straight from her position.

“I must have distracted you from your work last night…”, Hyeri guiltily remarked as she let out a sigh. “I’m sorry”.

Jungkook eyed her guilty face as he gave her a little smile. “It’s okay, really. Working at the civil department is really boring. No one comes by at night. Sometimes I really wonder why those night shifts still exist”, Jungkook laughed. Hyeri couldn’t help but laugh too.

“I guess you’re right, officer”, Hyeri said as she looked him in the eyes, those beautiful dark brown eyes that strangely managed to keep her mesmerized. It was mainly because of those eyes that Hyeri actually fell for his stupid prank yesterday. He luckily apologized for it, otherwise Hyeri would kick him in his nuts for fooling her like that.

Hyeri was actually really glad that Officer Jeon accompanied her last night. If there was one thing that she disliked, it was being alone in such a little room. The incident in her basement almost 20 years ago had a great impact on her. She would probably cry in a corner in fear if he did not spend the night with her in this so called ‘cage’. She wouldn’t sleep that peacefully either if he wasn’t there.

“I guess I should go back to work, I still have a few hours left before my shift ends”, Jungkook said with reluctance as he stood up from the wooden bench. Hyeri widened her eyes in shock and fear. She also stood up from the bench and tugged on his arm, at which the police officer gave the girl a surprised look.

“Y-you’re going to leave me..? What am I supposed to do here when you’re gone…?”, Hyeri whispered in fear as she looked at him with watery eyes. At first, Jungkook was shocked to see Hyeri frightened like this, but then he remembered what she told him last night. She was afraid of little rooms ever since she was trapped in a basement. He turned around towards her as he caressed her cheeks and gave her a soft smile, wiping a falling tear off.

“So you’re not as tough as you look like, are you?”, Jungkook whispered as he pulled her into a hug, soothing the girl as he patted her on her back. Hyeri hugged him back without hesitation, firmly holding onto him like she was afraid that he would disappear at any moment. Because that was like the only thing that happened in her life. The people that she cared about, the people that she loved, all disappeared.

Hyeri had to admit that after her parents’ death, she never fell in love again. After her parents left this world, the last thing she needed was a clingy boyfriend who would try to make her feel comfortable as much as he could. So love was not a part of her life anymore. Instead of love, she soothed and distracted herself with ‘other things’. Sadly, that did not turn out well, because it caused her to have a criminal record.

But then she met this police officer. The police officer who got a little bit too much into Hyeri’s personal space, doing things a police officer normally shouldn’t do. At least, accompanying and soothing a ‘criminal’ in a cage did not belong to a police officer’s duty, as far as Hyeri knew. Normally Hyeri wouldn’t e

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter