Chapter 11

The Police Officer
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hyeri was walking through the cemetery, on her way to the exit. While she was walking to the exit, she took a peek of every grave she passed by. There were a lot of people buried in this cemetery, and it reminded her of the fact that she was not the only person who had lost someone. Although the thought should have comforted her, it actually didn’t. Instead, she felt really bad for those people. She just hoped that those people did not mess their lives up as she did with her own.

The cemetery was almost empty. There were only a few people who came to pay a visit at this time, with ofcourse, a bouquet of flowers in their hands. As Hyeri observed the graves, she noticed that, on some of those graves, most of the flowers were already rotten. If not, they were certainly starting to rot. The rotten flowers reminded her of the fact that life does not last forever.

“Why do cemeteries always make me so nostalgic?”, Hyeri muttered underneath her breath, smiling because she thought her nostalgic mood was totally absurd.

After a few minutes, Hyeri could see the exit of the cemetery. However, as she walked to the exit, she noticed a figure talking to a certain grave. Normally, Hyeri would have walked further, because she had seen this kind of acts multiple times. But now she had a feeling that she knew this person, and the curiosity took over.

As Hyeri walked closer to the figure, she noticed that it was a rather tall male with black hair and a lean posture. He somehow seemed familiar, but she just couldn’t recognize the person.

“Life can be surprising sometimes, doesn’t it uncle?”, the male suddenly said, making Hyeri stop right in her track. She recognized the voice, and instantly smiled.

“Jeon Jungkook?”

At that, the male turned around, only to see a woman who was happily smiling at him as she walked up towards him. He couldn’t recognize her at first, but as the woman got closer, he immediately knew who she was. The male couldn’t help but smile at the woman who was approaching him. Life could be very surprising indeed.

“Hyeri? What are you doing here?”, Jungkook asked the girl as he waved back to her. Hyeri gave him a soft pinch in his right arm and turned around to face a certain gravestone. Hyeri tilted her head sideways while looking at the grave. She then found out that the gravestone belonged to a certain Jeon Seojun, and furrowed her brows.

“Is this your uncle’s grave?”, Hyeri asked the police officer softly as she turned back to him. Jungkook gave her a soft smile and just nodded slowly.

“Yes, that is my uncle. It’s his death anniversary today so I’m paying a visit”.

Upon hearing those words, Hyeri widened her eyes and dropped her jaw. “Are you serious? He passed away on July 11th? Now four years ago?”

Jungkook raised his brows, a little bit surprised at Hyeri’s reaction. “Uhmm, yes. I guess so…”, Jungkook said softly as he nervously scratched the back of his head. “Why so surprised?”, Jungkook laughed softly as he dropped his arm.

Hyeri eyed him for a few seconds, but then sighed and lowered her eyes to his uncle’s gravestone again. Ofcourse people could pass away at the same day, it probably happens every day. The coincidence is still scary, though.

“Because today, on the 11th of July, is also the death anniversary of my parents…”, Hyeri whispered sadly, struggling to prevent her tears from falling. This time it was Jungkook’s turn to widen his eyes and drop his jaw from astonishment.

“Wow, that’s just scary. I’m sorry to hear that”, Jungkook said with empathy, placing his hand on her shoulder. Hyeri just smiled, telling him that it was okay. She still felt really thankful for his sympathy, though.

After a rough 10 minutes, Hyeri and Jungkook both decided to leave after Jungkook said his goodbyes to his uncle. They were walking side by side, enjoying the fresh summer air that was lingering around Seoul. This was also something that was different in comparison to the previous years. The weather. Whenever Hyeri would visit her parents at the cemetery it somehow would always rain. Now the sun was shining brightly, and once again Hyeri was wond

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter