Chapter 3

The Police Officer
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"The gun is hers", Jungkook said as he pointed to a certain girl. Taehyung turned his head towards the girl as he saw her crying and hugging the coffee barista that was still unconscious.

"How long has that girl been unconscious?", Taehyung asked worriedly as he looked over at the crying girl. Jungkook sighed as he unconsciously scratched his head. "I don't know, ever since I shot the thief in his leg, I guess. I think she was shocked because the girl with the gun was trying to do suicide at that moment".

Taehyung looked at his best friend in disbelief. "She tried to do what?!", Taehyung spoke, a little bit too hard though, because some customers turned their heads towards him. Jungkook palmed his face. If there was one thing off about Taehyung, it would be his habit of loud talking.

"Do you have to talk so loud?!", Jungkook whispered as he shook his head disapprovingly. Taehyung just ignored him as he looked over again to the other two girls.

"Maybe we should check it out. The barista still isn't awake", Taehyung said as he pointed to the two girls. Jungkook simply agreed as they walked to the girls, making the customers look up to them.

As soon as they arrived, Jungkook sat down next to the crying girl. The girl was crying so hard that she did not even notice the two police officers sitting down next to her. Only when one of them began to speak, that's when she started noticing them.

"Is there an ambulance coming?", Taehyung asked the girl as he gave a tissue to the crying girl. The girl just nodded as she thankfully took the tissue from him, wiping her wet tears off of her face.

"Can I take a look at the barista? I want to check if she is okay", Taehyung said. The girl nodded her head for the second time as she handed the coffee barista to the cop. Taehyung then checked if the barista was okay and still alive, checking her pulse, etcetera.

"She is fine and still alive, Miss. The ambulance will be here as soon as they can, so you don't have to worry", Taehyung said reassuring to the girl as he still held the unconscious barista in his arms. The girl sighed of relief by hearing this and tried to relax as much as she could, happy with the news that the barista is still alive.

"Miss, are you okay? Are you hurt anywhere?", Jungkook asked as he worriedly observed the girl, checking if she has hurt herself anywhere. As the girl shook her head, Jungkook stopped observing and looked the girl in the eyes. Jungkook noticed that her eyes were even more red than a tomato because of all the crying.

Jungkook suddenly thought of his mother, who was crying very often like this when she was still alive. He saw her redden tomato eyes almost every night, when her husband was probably at the bar, probably drinking down a bottle of whiskey with all his might. So the 15-years old Jungkook was the one who always soothed his mother. He was the one who supported and soothed his mother, instead of her husband.

And then one day, when Jungkook came home from school, he saw his mother motionless hanging on the gallow. In the goodbye letter she wrote to Jungkook, she simply said that she couldn't handle the misery and sorrow in her life anymore. Her husband disappeared right after his wife died. Since then, Jungkook never saw his dad ever again.

Unconsciously, Jungkook put one of his arms around the girl's shoulders and brought her closer towards him, just like he always did with his mother. The girl widened her eyes as he did this and tried to back away from him. However, Jungkook simply ignored her actions as he placed her head on his own shoulder, making Taehyung look at him in pure astonishment.

"It's okay, Miss. I used to soothe my mother this way, it really helps. My mom always cried her eyes out when I did this. You should too", Jungkook whispered as he soothingly patted the girl's arm. The girl just stayed quiet as she blinked her redden tomato eyes, not knowing what was actually happening right now.

"What's your name, Miss?", Jungkook asked the girl. With her red eyes, the girl looked up to him. She stayed silent for a second, but then she opened to say something. Jungkook could've sworn that he never heard a voice like hers, calming and yet so harmonized like this.

"It's Hyeri. Nam Hyeri".

Jungkook smiled softly. "That's a beautiful name, Nam Hyeri-ssi". Hyeri let out a hard sob, unable to control her tears now. She looked up to the police officer, who was smiling down at her with his angelic smile. For the first time in her life, Hyeri was actually 'blinded' by another's smile.

"Ahum", Taehyung interrupted the two as he still held the barista in his arms, making them instantly look up to him. Taehyung sighed as he pointed to the ambulance vehicle that was standing outside in front of the coffeeshop. "The ambulance just arrived, in case you did not notice".

Hyeri and Jungkook stood up from their seats on the ground and turned their heads to the front door, where they saw two paramedics entering the coffeeshop. When the paramedics noticed the barista, they immediately rushed to her as they grabbed their utensils, checking if she was still alive by checking her pulse. After confirming that the barista was still alive, they checked on wounds to see whether she was hurt or not. However, there weren't any wounds to find, so they were done with checking very quickly.

"She seems stable, but we still have to bring her to the hospital and have her checked right there, just in case", one of the paramedics said as she picked up the barista with her colleague and put her on the stretcher. Taehyung nodded at the paramedic and turned around to face Hyeri.

"I am going with her to check if things are going well and to check if she has any guardians with whom I can make contact with", Taehyung said to the girl. Hyeri however, didn't understand. Like, why couldn't Hyeri herself just go with Malika to the hospital?

"I know what you're thinking right now",

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter