#39

My #1 Boyfriend

My whole body trembled with fear. I wanted to cry but yet I couldn’t, not until I knew the truth. This must be a dream. God tell me this is a dream. This isn’t happening. It’s just a nightmare, a really bad one. Let me wake up please.

I raced down the hallway of the hospital and stopped at the doors of the E.R. where Mr. and Mrs. Tang were there anxiously waiting for the doctor to come out. My heart pounded. It couldn’t be true I kept thinking over and over.

“How is he?” I asked.

Mrs. Tang shook her head. She was crying heavily unable to talk. Mr. Tang on the other hand tried his best to stay calm but the look in his eyes told me that he was as scared as I was. The door opened and a man in a white coat appeared. We ran over to him.

“How is he?” I asked.

“I’m his father,” Mr. Tang said.

The doctor bit his lip, “He’s got some broken bones.”

“Is that all? You can fix him right? Heal him up,” Mr. Tang quickly said.

The doctor didn’t answer till a couple seconds later, “He’s been hit hard and lost a lot of blood. I don’t think we can do anything now. Right now he’s just waiting for the minutes to pass.”

“What does that mean? What do you mean by that?!” Mr. Tang shouted loudly.

“He doesn’t have much time left. I’m sorry,” the doctor apologized.

Mr. Tang was speechless and staggered back. His mouth shaking as he took another step back he fell to the ground blacking out. Mrs. Tang screamed.

“No…no…no,” I mumbled. “No! That can’t be! He said he’d come back! Let me see him! Please let me see him!”

“Please stay calm miss,” the nurses said more and more appearing out of nowhere.

I screamed, “I want to see him! Let me see him!” I pushed myself against the crowd of nurses.

“Ok, ok please calm down first,” one of the nurses said.

I couldn’t. Tears were flowing down my face. I couldn’t believe this. Just moments after speaking of marriage how could this happen? Why was I losing my path to happiness?

I entered through the doors silently. My throat was dry as I slowly stepped toward the bed where my Danson lay. He was slowly breathing his chest heaving up and down. He smiled as he saw me appear and I slipped my trembling hand into his.

“Hey,” he greeted so weakly I hadn't heard him.

I tried to smile but tears dropped down instead.

“Don’t cry,” he said. “It’ll be ok.”

I shook my head, “It’s not ok already. You promised me you’d come back ok.”

“Before the old man arrives,” Danson said with a smile on.

My body shook as I sobbed.

“Don’t do that it just makes me feel worse,” he said reaching his hand up to wipe my tear but it trickled down from his hand down his wrist.

“Don’t die on me,” I cried, “please don’t leave. You said we’d get married. You were going to be my future. You can’t go.”

“I’m still here,” he said. “I…I love you.”

I gripped his hand crying even more.

“If I don’t make it I want you to face your true feelings afterward,” Danson said, “Jiro’s been as hurt as you have. Can you face him for me? Promise me you’ll find your happiness.” I didn’t reply. “Promise me.”

I nodded my head yes. I watched as he smiled for the last time and his eyes closed. I felt his hand loosen around mine.

“Danson! Danson! No! Danson! Wake up! Wake up! Don’t play around! It’s not funny! Danson!” I screamed loudly.

“Miss! Miss!” the nurses shouted as they surrounded me trying to pull me away from Danson as I shook him.

They succeeded in forcing me out of the room and outside the hallway I heard Ethan scream mommy. Behind him walked Mr. Wang and a man. Anger arose in me. I ran pass Ethan and threw my fists at Mr. Wang clutching him around the collar of his shirt and shaking him.

“Give him back! Bring him back to life! Use all your money to bring him back! You killer!” I screamed. I could go crazy right there, but someone pulled me away.

“Selina! Selina!” it was Jiro. He was shaking me. “Snap out of it! Selina!”

Tears just streamed down. I could only concentrate on crying at the moment.

“I hate you all,” I mumbled as he held me.

Danson’s funeral went by like the blink of an eye. Days, weeks, months passed. I didn’t talk to his parents though they told me to feel free to visit them anytime, I never did. Soon his parents moved out of town and that was the only day I visited them since Danson’s death then I never saw them again. It was just Ethan and me now. No third person, only us two. It was too quiet sometimes so I took Ethan out and we went to noisy places often. I became lonely in such a short time. I didn’t see anymore of Jiro or his father and I didn’t wish to see them anyway.