#15

My #1 Boyfriend

He reached down and pulled me from the ground dragging me onto the bed. I tried to fight back but he punched me in the stomach. Pain seeped into my brain. It hurt. It hurt so much I couldn’t bring myself to do anything. I could feel him trying to take my jacket off but luckily the least thing I was able to do was refuse that. I moved my hand around and grabbed a beer bottle throwing it into the side of his head. He screamed and I pushed him over as I slowly got back my strength. When I got up and ran he pushed me causing me to fall into some beer bottles. They shattered and I could feel pain in my head.

“! Get back here!” he screamed trying to get off the bed.

I struggled up and opened the door running down the stairs. I was scared out of my mind and I could only think of getting out of there righ tnow. I reached the front door and toppled down the stone stairs. Gosh it hurt! As I landed at the bottom I could feel the skin on my hands ripping. I had to get away fast. I got up ignoring the condition I was in and ran home, but I paused when I stood in front of the door. Mom would call the police. I would get them in trouble again. I can’t go home like this. I turned around and started to make a run. Tears streaking my face. My hair was damp and I was freezing.

I had no one to go to. All my friends had moved and I didn’t know the location of their new houses. Fluke was not the same anymore besides I did not wish to see him anymore. I stopped suddenly. Jiro. He was the only one left. I couldn’t. I couldn’t even bring myself to say hi to him. No. Not him. Why was fate cruelly punishing me like this? It hurt…not my body physically but my heart. I wanted to explode. I bent down hugging myself and sobbed hard.

It was a while later I found myself standing there again. It might not be a good idea but I needed to get home and before I get home I needed to get cleaned up. I took a breath and pressed the bell. I had pulled my hood over my head so no one would see my face if I was looking at the ground. The door opened after a few seconds.

“Yes?” she said.

“Is…is…J…Jiro home?” I questioned my voice shaking.

“And may you be?” the maid questioned.

I had my face turned away from her, “A classmate. Tell him I’m a classmate.”

She left. I waited. The door opened again and I out.

-------------------------------------------------

“Dad!” I shouted. “My shoe’s in the water!”

“Oh, Selina not again,” a tall man who was in his 30’s said.

We were swimming that day. Just him and me. Xi was spending time with mom shopping. That was how it was when we were younger. I had really wanted to swim at the age of 10 and dad was the best swimmer and also the best teacher.

“Sorry dad,” I apologized.

“Don’t sweat it. Your dad is the best out there, I could save a hundred people in a flood,” he said patting my small head.

“Dad’s the best!” I said smiling up at him.

I watched as he got into the water and swam off, but suddenly in the distant he start to move around fast. I watched and kept watching unaware that he’d encountered a jellyfish. Maybe more than one because he couldn’t move in the water.

“Dad!” I shouted scared, my heart feeling heavy.

No reply. He didn’t scream for help. He didn’t try to scream for help.

“Dad!” I ran closer to the waves. “Dad! Dad! Dad! Dad!”

He’d disappeared.

-------------------------------------------------

I awoke in a sweat and my eyes stared up at the ceiling. It was pink...my room wasn't pink. I glanced around to see that the room was large. A shiny china table to my right and a drawer to my left with a large mirror. I sat up panicked. My head felt like it was spinning and my entire body ached. The white door opened and a maid walked in holding a tray with a cup of water and some pills.

“You’ve been out cold all night,” the woman said coming over. She set the tray on the table and brought over the cup. “Have this. It’ll bring down your fever.”

What? Fever?

“Where am I?” I asked.

“You don’t remember?” she asked. I just stared at her. “You came last night wanting to speak to young master, but when he’d come out you already fainted. We were all freaked out because you were bleeding a lot so we had to call a doctor here.”

“Bleeding?” I asked then felt my head. There were bandages here and there. Remembering I glanced down at my hand to see bandages on them too.

“Drink this first,” the maid said. “I’ll call young master here. He really panicked last night and ordered me to take good care of you. I didn’t sleep all night.”

“Thank you,” I said as she left the room.

I took the pills and swallowed them drinking the water right after. The door opened again and Jiro appeared. I quickly looked away embarrassed.

“Are you feeling better?” he asked.

My heart thumped. I gulped then I thought of mom.

“Could I use the phone? I have to call my mom,” I said.

He nodded and left returning with the phone. I quickly called home and a panicked short breathed voice answered the phone. Of course it was mom. I lied to her I was spending the night at a friend’s house that we were doing homework and we fell asleep then it started raining so I stayed with them. Mom sighed relieved and hung up. I stared at the phone and handed it back to Jiro.

“Thank you,” I said. I forced myself to cool down and froze as I felt his hand on my forehead.

“You cooled down,” he sounded glad. “Can you tell me what happened last night? We found shattered pieces of glass in your hair.”

I stared down at the blankets.

“I,I…I…” I began.

“Did someone do something to you?” he questioned.

My eyes gazed around the room not wanting to answer.

“I told you to scream for help. Why don’t you ever scream for help?!” he asked loudly sounding angry almost scaring me.

I turned my face toward him in confusing anger, “Would anyone hear me? Would they even help me?! Who would be there?! The streets were empty, no one was around! Would anyone still hear me?!”

Jiro looked at me lost. I could see he felt sorry, but I turned away.

“You should rest,” was all he said then he left.

I hated myself. When I could’ve explained to him what happened, I could have hugged him, I could have told him what I was feeling, I could tell him that because my dad never screamed for help I couldn’t do it either. But why did I have to yell at him? I shut my eyes and laid back down.

****************************************

“Why can’t she tell me? Why can’t she at least say anything?” Jiro thought as he lightly banged the back of his head against the wall.

****************************************