#34

My #1 Boyfriend

I took a cab home after Jiro dropped me off at the restaurant. Ethan wasn’t home so I guessed that he was sleeping over at Danson’s house. It didn't bother me that he wasn't here with me because I knew Danson's family would treat Ethan as if he were their own.

Our last day together…our last day together…our last day together…

It just seemed a little too painful to get it across my mind. I couldn’t take it in maybe I’ve been too mean to Jiro. This isn’t what I really want right? I want Jiro not Danson. I’m just confused right now maybe a little too selfish right now because I can’t let Jiro go. I think about him all the time maybe Danson is the only one who can take Jiro off my mind, but it’s only for a little bit then I start thinking about Jiro again. No this isn’t right. I can’t choose Danson or Jiro. It’d be so unfair for Danson if I chose Jiro cause thanks to him I haven’t been dying of tiredness from raising Ethan alone. But Jiro…I love him. I want to be with him.

“You’re going crazy. Stop thinking,” I told myself.

Danson…Jiro…Danson…Jiro…Danson…Jiro…Danson…Jiro

It was all going too fast for me. Everything was happening too fast and my emotions were going haywire. I gripped the sides of my head and tears flew out of my eyes.

The next morning I awoke to knocking on the door. I found Danson standing there with a smiling Ethan in his arms.

“Hi mommy!” he greeted.

“Where were you last night? Were you naughty?” I asked taking Ethan into my own arms.

“No, I had cake and soda and some lollipops,” Ethan said. “I missed you mommy.”

“Mommy missed you too,” I said giving him a kiss on the cheek.

“Morning Selina,” Danson greeted as he closed the door behind him.

“Hey,” I said.

I set Ethan down and he sat by me on the sofa.

“I told my parents about us,” Danson said. “They want to have dinner tonight and talk about it.”

I couldn’t answer him for a moment. It’d be my last day today…with Jiro. Jiro or Danson. I couldn’t choose.

“I…” I began then stopped as a knock at the door interrupted me.

I glanced at Danson as he went to open the door. A man wearing a dark suit stood there politely.

“Is Miss Ren here?” questioned the man.

Danson turned around to look at me and I looked back at him guiltily.

“It’s me,” I said. “Can I help you?”

“I’m from Sunrise Enterprise I believe you have an appointment with our boss today,” he said.

“Could you wait outside a moment?” I questioned.

He nodded and walked out. The door closed and I turned to Danson.

“Mommy where are you going,” Ethan questioned walking up to me.

“I don’t think I can go to dinner with you,” I told Danson, “I’m sorry.”

Danson gave his calm smile, “It’s ok. We don’t need to rush, we can meet up with my parents any time. So where are you going?”

I decided it’d be best if I just came out with it, “I met Jiro yesterday. He asked me to go with him to a dinner banquet to represent the restaurant. I’ll probably be out all day today so could you take care of Ethan?”

“Sure thing,” Danson replied.

I grabbed my purse and headed for the door then stopped and turned around to look at Danson. I thought maybe I couldn’t go back on my words now, but I really hoped I wouldn’t waver.

“I promise this is my last time with him. I’ll come back,” I told Danson.

He smiled telling me he understood and I left. Outside I got into the car and the man drove me to an abandoned parking lot. There I saw that a car was waiting. As I got out Jiro got out of his car.

“Morning,” he greeted, “are you ready?”

I nodded then I got into his car. He drove silently for a few minutes and during that time I just thought and thought. My heart ached as I knew this was my last time beside him. I turned and looked at him and it took him a minute to look back at me then he turned back to the road smiling his old smile.

“What is it?” he asked. “Something on my face?”

“No,” I said turning to face the road.

“The party won’t be getting started for a while so we’ll go find some new outfits first,” Jiro told, “then after that we’ll see what happens.”

“Where is it?” I asked. “The party I mean.”

“My house,” Jiro replied.

I froze and felt cold all over. That house I still remembered was so cold. It probably hadn’t changed at all.

“Your house?” I asked and he nodded.

I had forgotten all about his father, but at the bringing up of his house I remembered his father and how cold he was to me. I couldn’t face him. He wouldn't want to face me and I wouldn’t  be able to bring myself to face him either. After all these years I was just trying to avoid the cruelty that reality brought. Would I have to go through it again? I didn’t have the guts to fight, not anymore, not after he made me run away from Jiro.   

“But your father…” I said.

“Don’t worry. He got injured while we were in the states so he didn’t come back with me,” Jiro explained, “does that make you feel better?”

I looked at him and gave a small laugh of relief. I finally felt my shoulders become lighter. Jiro stopped in front of an expensive looking store and we got out a few minutes later. I followed him inside wondering if it’d be alright for someone my status to be entering this shop. We walked pass some racks of clothes and my mouth dropped open at the prices. $500 for a small dress and more than a thousand for another one. While I turned around to catch sight of the whole store Jiro had walked over to some dresses and picked something out.

“Here, try this on,” he said handing it to me.

I looked at the top and at the skirt and back to Jiro.

“I don’t want to…” I began but he pushed me into the dressing room along with the two piece.

“After you’re done come out,” Jiro said smiling foolishly and turning around to look through some more racks.

I sighed knowing I had no other option and changed into the dress. I stood by the door of the changing room deciding if I should really go out or not. My hand slowly reached up for the doorknob and I opened the door. Jiro was waiting outside expectantly. I slowly stepped out and stood there shyly giving a nervous smile.

“Is it…ok?” I asked.

Jiro nodded, “It’s nice. I like it.”

I turned around to go back into the changing room but Jiro stopped me.

“We’ll buy that,” Jiro told the register lady and turned to me, “wear that out. You don’t need to change back to your clothes.”

“Huh?” I asked wondering what he was thinking. Wasn’t I just trying this on?

Jiro grabbed my purse then grabbed my hand leading me out, “C’mon.”

We went from store to store, but all we did was find stuff for me. Jiro got my hair styled and bought accessories for me. A necklace, a bracelet, a new pair of heels, new earrings, and I had a make over. I had to say I looked really decent afterward. We walked out of the store and drove off.

I sat quietly and thought for a moment, “Why buy these? I mean I don’t really need any of this…”

“I want you to look nice. I want to remember you like this,” Jiro said.

I bit my lip and stayed quiet for a moment then looked out the window, “Hey lets go there.” I pointed to a shop.

Jiro stopped outside of the store and as we entered he asked, “What are we doing here?”

I walked around taking a look at all the men clothes and so on. I didn’t have much money with me and this wasn’t a very expensive store so I hoped I would be able to get something nice for him at least just to pay him back. I found a green with white stripes tie and turned around.

“Here,” I said.

Jiro glanced at the tie and said, “It’s alright I don’t need it.”

“I’m gonna take this,” I told the register lady.

“I’m not going to wear that,” Jiro said after we stepped out of the store.

“Couldn’t you just at least be polite?” I asked. “I need to see you wear a tie once. I’ve never seen you wear one before.”

“I don’t like ties,” Jiro told.

“For me wear this,” I said.

Jiro held his head up, “Fine, put it on.”

I smiled in victory and walked over to him and put the tie around his neck tying it. What I didn’t notice was that Jiro leaned his face in toward me. His forehead was touching mine. I looked up at him and he smiled moving back and grabbing my hand.

“Lets take a picture.” He said.