#28

My #1 Boyfriend

He took his keys out of his pockets and walked out to his car then quickly sped off as soon as he got in the driver’s seat. The concrete roads seemed more worn out than they used to be 5 years ago. Every building still looked the same, however. There were plenty of people walking around as usual. Nothing had changed. Jiro stopped as he neared the area Selina lived in. From afar he could see that a different family had moved in.

“If she’s moved I wonder where she went,” Jiro thought.

He walked to Mrs. Ren’s old stall to find a different person managing it. As he continued roaming around he let the merry memories of 5 years ago fill his mind. Jiro walked around a little more and stopped at Selina’s old workplace. Inside he could see a very different looking Boss Lady Han. This one had become prettier but her hair color was beginning to fade.

“One bowl of soup please,” Jiro said as he walked up to the counter.

“Would that be all?” the woman said.

“Yea,” Jiro said then waved to Boss Lady Han catching her attention right away.

“Handsome!” she gasped running out from behind the counter to him.

“Hi,” Jiro greeted glad to see her too.

“I haven’t seen you here since Selina stopped working,” Boss Lady Han told.

“I went to the states,” Jiro explained.

“No wonder! You should tell Selina to come by some time, I miss her so much!” Boss Lady Han exclaimed.

“I will when I see her,” Jiro promised.

“Thank you!” Boss Lady Han said. “Oh, you know? I got married!”

Jiro glanced at the ring on her finger. He would’ve found a way to marry Selina if so much things didn’t happen in so little time. Walking around a bit more he boarded his car again and left.

***************************************

After dinner Danson had given me and Ethan a ride to our apartment. Luckily I made a lot of money from my job that I was able to rent a place for Ethan and I to live in. A normal enough place with enough electricity. I made enough money to leave behind my poor life and then I thought maybe money was everything sometimes.

“Thank you uncle Dan!” Ethan thanked from the back.

“Yea, thanks Danson,” I said then got of out of the car and unbuckled Ethan.

I held his hand as we entered the building and entered our apartment on the second floor. As we got inside I looked out the window to see Danson still standing there. He was such a good guy, he always made sure Ethan and I made it home safe. Thinking about it now I owed him a lot. I waved to him and watched as he boarded his car driving off.  

This apartment I got with my own money. Five years ago money never mattered to me, but when I face reality hard now I figure money is everything. It’s not something you can get for free. Money is something that can help you get everything you want. Anything you want. Anything, everything in the world except for happiness. Money had never made me happy, but right now it was everything to me. My life depended on it if I were to be a single mother.

I thought of a small flashback when Danson had found out I was pregnant. Just before he had offered me the restaurant he had been angry with me. I could see it in his eyes so well. He was angry, angry that I had let Jiro go and that had left me nothing. He was angry that we were stupid enough to spend the night together. He was so angry I wanted to keep the child. So angry he could do nothing but help. I knew once he saw my tears he’d soften up. I told him I didn’t want to regret having the child, I told him that I didn’t want to tell the child he was an accident because being an accident hurts the most.

Danson had been my supporter these five years. He became a teacher just so he could stay with my son and teach him. Danson, my good friend.
 
****************************************

Jiro took a seat behind his desk loosening his tie. He leaned back as his secretary walked in with a folder.

“Sir, here’s the information you requested earlier,” Tai said.

Jiro nodded as Tai set the folder down and walked out closing the door shut behind him. Taking a breath Jiro reached for the folder opening it. Inside were papers and more papers. Jiro quickly glanced through each paragraph and turned to the last page.

“Wonderful World,” he read and laughed, “what a funny name for a restaurant.”

Before Jiro left the company he made sure to leave a note for Tai to make preparations for meeting the owner of the restaurant.

That house was just the same. Nothing had changed it stood out against the pitch black night sky. Jiro pushed open the gates and headed up the stairs to his room. He dropped his overcoat onto a chair and threw off his tie then turned off the lights and went to sleep.

*****************************************

“Boss,” one of the managers said walking over, “a person dropped by earlier and left this piece of paper.”

I took the paper from her. It was to notify a contract. This kind of stuff I never understood and to my knowledge I thought that none of it would be of any help anyway. Besides if I ever got into any problems with money I always went to Danson. I threw it into the garbage and grabbed a bottle of water heading out.

The streets were always busy as usual. I quickly rushed across as little kids headed out of the school doors and pushed open the door walking into Danson’s four walled classroom. Ethan was sitting by a small table drawing something.

“Teacher Tang are you done yet?” I questioned as I leaned against his desk.

“Oh, you’re finally here,” he greeted.

I turned around as I heard him close a folder. He always looked so smart wearing those suits.

“We’re gonna eat out again?” I questioned.

“Lets go to Wonderful World, I think I wanna have Miss Ren’s special dish,” Danson said crossing his arms.

“I get so bored going there,” I mumbled.

“What was that?” Danson asked. “You aren’t trying to ruin my mood are you?”

“Why would I do that Birthday Boy?” I said making each word long. “Come on Ethan.”

Ethan ran over and Danson picked him up like always. I always nagged at him to stop or else Ethan would always want to be carried, but he never listened to me.

“Boss someone kept calling this whole morning,” said someone as I headed to the kitchen.

“Oh? Who is it?” Danson asked following me in.

“Someone from Sunrise Enterprise,” the person answered.

“Wow!” Danson turned to me his eyes wide and big. “What did you do to them?!”

I frowned at him confused, “What are you talking about?”

“They’re the largest medicine industry in Taiwan,” Danson told, “you didn’t do anything to them did you?”

“What?” I questioned. “I don’t even know that runrise company or whatever you’re talking about,” I told. “You better watch your mouth Danson.”

“I didn’t say anything!” Danson said throwing his hands up.

“What an idiot,” I said confused myself.