#25

My #1 Boyfriend

I couldn’t bring myself to school that day so I laid around the house. I know I said before that I’d help mom and sis no matter what, but right now I just couldn’t do that. I didn’t have any strength. Where was my motivation when I needed it? I was always at my worst moments in life. Why is it me? Why am I not perfect? Why was I not born rich? Why did I have to lose dad? If he were here he’d help me. I know he would. If I had someone whom I could completely rely on…but I have no one. I could never rely on anyone. Why was I always so alone? It’s not fair. Tears rushed out of my eyes.

***************************************

It was two days later when Jiro first awoke. His body ached so much he could not bring himself to even sit so he ended up lying in that white bed that only gave off a feeling of slowly ending life. Over and over in his mind he’d thought over and over about what’d happened. What had happened to Selina? Why was he here now? It was Selina who surely brought him here right? Was she still around? Did she meet his dad? What had happened after he’d passed out? How long had he been lying here?

“I need to get out,” he thought. “I need to see her.”

***************************************

“Mom, I can go really,” I retorted.

Mom sent me a small glare, “No, you’re staying home. The other few times you’ve gone out something’s always happening.”

“Believe me, I know nothing’s going to happen this time,” I said trying to persuade her.

“I said stay! Just hush up and stay!” mom yelled.

I shut up as I watched her go. Xi had been staying at a friend’s because of finals because her friend’s house had easier access to things she needed. I sat and lied down allowing my mind to race through open air as I stared up at the ceiling. There was nothing I could bring myself to think about. Nothing at all. I don’t know how long I was there until I heard something strange outside. I suddenly sat up and listened once more. I walked slowly to the door and opened it curiously. Nothing. The wind was just blowing and some trash cans were rolling around by a neighbor’s house. I shut the door and for some reason I opened it again. My eyes opened wide. There someone was smiling that foolish smile I knew.

“Y…you…” I began trying to think of something to say.

“Hey,” Jiro greeted coolly, but as he took a step forward he stumbled.

I quickly ran forward and caught him before he could reach the ground. Feeling his warmth assured me I wasn’t dreaming. I’d missed him so much. My heart throbbed with happiness as tears rushed out. I hugged him tightly and I could feel him hug me back.

“I thought I lost you,” I said digging my face into his shoulder.

“I wouldn’t lose you that easily,” Jiro replied.

I gave a small laugh and readjusted my head on his shoulder.

“Hey…do you want to go somewhere?” Jiro asked me.

Moments later we were lying on the cold sand together. It was all silent and only the cold waves were making their noises calling someone to go in. I could hear Jiro’s calm breathing next to me which assured me he was still there.

“You asleep?” I questioned.

“Mmm?” he muttered. He sounded half awake.

I smiled as I moved closer to him, “Congratulations.”

“What?” he asked.

“I said congrats,” I repeated. “You were just an arrogant annoying person I wanted to ignore at first. But now…I think you’ve succeeded in getting me to like you. I like you a lot now.”

I turned to Jiro who wasn’t replying, “Jiro?” I sat up to make sure he was ok. “You idiot. Sleeping already. You didn’t even wait for my confession.”

I got up and wandered along the beach then looked up at the stars hoping that my father was hoping for the best for me. I then sat down and started to make a sand castle. It was pretty dark but the moon was pretty near illuminating a lot of light over me. I stopped when I heard something creak. I looked around slowly. The wind was howling now which made me shiver. Ignoring the thoughts that were trying to scare me I returned to my sandcastle but there it was again. I got up and searched around.

“Jiro! Jiro!” I shouted when I found that he wasn’t there anymore.

I ran a little until I felt something shake me from behind shouting, “Boo!”

I screamed and fell back into the oncoming wave. It was cold and not welcoming. Fear enveloped me until I felt arms pull me up to my feet.

“Are you ok? Selina are you alright? I’m so sorry,” a panicked voice apologized.

I coughed a little and hit him. He gave a small cry and I wasn’t sure if he was playing around or not because he really looked like it hurt.

“Jiro?” I asked.

He looked up with a full smile on, “Tricked you!”

I noticed he was still clutching himself.

“You’re all wet,” he said. “Come on lets go.”

“I don’t want to go home yet,” I told as he grabbed my hand.

“Not there, somewhere else,” he assured.

That cabin was still standing strong on that green hill. The first place he took me to, the first place I spent with him unwillingly. When the door opened and we entered I found that nothing had changed.

“Wow, not even a speck of dust,” I said looking around and touching the counter tops. “Do you always come here to clean?”

Jiro glanced around, “No. Not really.”

I watched as Jiro opened the bedroom door going in and coming back out with a thick towel. I dried myself off with it but it didn’t help one bit. I was still drenched and wet. The water had been really cold.

“Do you have any extra clothes?” I asked.

Jiro shook his head no, “I only have clothes for myself.”

I could feel myself burning out of embarrassment. I couldn’t wear his clothes it…it was just weird. Although I was curious how I’d look like I could see he was thinking the same thing and gave a small chuckle.

 I opened the bedroom door moments later, “I look weird.”

“Come on, I’m curious,” Jiro said pushing the door open.

A large t-shirt and shorts. Jiro began to laugh hysterically.

“Hey! It’s not that funny! I think I look good!” I said.

“You look like a boy! A boy made into a girl,” Jiro laughed.

“It’s not funny!” I said walking back in and sitting on the bed crossed arm.

“Ok,” he said, “I was just kidding. You look…cute.”

“Shut up liar!” I snapped.

“Come on, I mean it,” Jiro told, “shall the maiden have a dance?”

I looked at him lost. He grabbed my hands and pulled me up.

“Pretend we’re at a ball. Like Cinderella and the prince,” he said and we began to move about the room.

“You sure know lots,” I commented.

“Sure,” he told, “I mean look at me. Who wouldn’t like me?”

“Oh, you’re putting yourself in the same category as those players?” I asked.

“You just want me to be one,” Jiro expressed.

“So you are those types,” I pointed out. “You loser.”

As we moved once more somehow our feet became tangled and I screamed as we fell. I landed with a hard thud on the hard mattress and made a face as I opened my eyes to find Jiro staring down at me eyes wide. Was it just me or could I feel his heart beating? I gulped. Jiro and I locked into a kiss seconds later. I had no idea that that after that night I would be left with something I would have to bear for the rest of my life. Something that would bring me much pain in the future.