#26

My #1 Boyfriend

I woke up turning to my side that morning. Forgetting everything yesterday I screamed when I saw Jiro lying next to me. He woke up in a surprise and almost jumped off the bed.

“What are you screaming for?!” questioned Jiro.

“What are you doing here?” I asked.

“You’ve been asleep for hours, wake up,” Jiro said pecking my cheek and running off.

“ert!” I screamed.

I sat at the four cornered table and watched as Jiro made a simple breakfast. Just soup. I almost laugh just watching him but out of respect I did not. We ate together and went out to the stalls where we were chased when I first met him. We ate out and went to play at a small playground and returned to the cabin. I had forgotten all about my family.

The next day we went on a boat ride with a couple of other people. Jiro and I were making jokes by the side and we were there for most of the day. It was after we had got off the boat that Jiro collapsed on the dock. It was then that I panicked and finally remembered I had forgotten about him being in the hospital. It was then he’d admitted he’d snuck out, it was then I felt like a fool, it was then I had to take him back. My happiness ended there.

I stood there feeling a sharp burn in my face. That voice was screaming at me. Accusing me that I’d taken his son away. I’d done everything on purpose. Was it my fault? I figured if I looked at the whole thing over it probably was. I was acting like a baby, pleading, being helpless, just waiting for something to come and save me. It was my fault. I faced days of unstopping tears, I faced days of not seeing him, I faced days at home alone, then one day I found mom’s stall ruined. All thrown to bits. Everything was destroyed and I knew who’d done it without even wondering and I knew why.

I hurried over to the Wang mansion. Not surprisingly Jiro’s father was there just waiting for me.

“Took a while for you to come running,” Mr. Wang told.

I gripped my fists, “You have no right to do that to my mother!”

At that moment it didn’t matter how disrespectful I was. It didn’t matter who rough I would be. All that mattered was that he’d stop everything.

“I have no right? So you have every right to ruin my son’s life?” Mr. Wang questioned.

“I didn’t do anything!” I retorted.

Mr. Wang gave his famous smile I'd had enough of seeing, “You didn’t do anything? So getting him to run off with you was nothing?”

I stared at him refusing to look away.

“You’re a little too much,” I said.

“A fatherless child like you would never understand a father’s love,” Mr. Wang said.

His words hit me hard. I felt angry tears at the back of my eyes.

“Don’t talk like that,” I warned. “You don’t understand anything about being a father so don’t talk about my dad. He’ll never be like you.”

“Oh really?” Mr. Wang questioned. “Are you willing to say you come from a good family then? I always thought you were poor.”

I bit my lips to keep from attacking him.

“Don’t tell me that I’ll have to remove your sister from her school so you’ll understand,” Mr. Wang said.

“You’re not human. You’re always using family as a threat,” I told.

“Then I feel good being an alien,” Mr. Wang said.

I could hear a car stop outside.

“Today should be the last day you see him. After tomorrow we’ll be leaving for the states,” Mr. Wang said.

I turned back to look at the door. Leaving? Jiro’s leaving? My heart thumped. I turned back to Mr. Wang.

“How long? Why?” I questioned almost feeling helpless.

“Maybe years. Maybe Jiro will get married over there,” Mr. Wang said.

“You’re heartless, you’re really heartless,” I muttered.

“Beg me,” Mr. Wang said.

“What?” I asked.

“I said get on your knees, if you don’t do so, if you don’t leave Jiro I will do even worse things to your family,” Mr. Wang threatened, “him or your family.”