#1

My #1 Boyfriend

It was never really hard to live in a worn out neighborhood. The house was rundown but at least there was electricity and a good sturdy roof to live under. The seventh house down the alley belonged to us, the Ren family. There was Madam Ren, Selina (me), and younger sister Xi.

Mom would get up very early everyday and head out to the market to sell food to make some money. The beginning of the school year was just almost around the corner and we were in need of new clothes and school supplies. Luckily I had found a job at a nearby restaurant just a few days ago and the pay isn’t that bad. I get my check today and I could spare some money for my sister’s school clothes.

The alarm had just gone off and I was just beginning to awake from my dreams. How I wished I could sleep in again, but there was no time for that now. I quickly forced my tired body up and splashed cold water onto my face then rushed back to my room and got dressed running out of the door. I hurried around the block and towards the restaurant. Boss Lady Han was just turning the lights on when I ran in.    

“Well aren’t you in a hurry today?” Boss Lady Han said watching me slide through the door.

“Morning,” I greeted touching the back of my head.

“You here for your pay?” she asked. I nodded out of breath.

“Wash those dishes first.”

I glanced over my shoulders to see a pile of dishes lying in the large, deep silver sink. I obeyed and started to pull up my sleeves when she interrupted.

“I’m just kidding, here you go,” Boss Lady Han said handing me a piece of paper.

“Thank you! Thank you!” I replied happily.

“Alright then get out of here before I decide to make you stay,” Boss Lady Han told.

I nodded and thanked her again then ran out of the door. Today I had already decided to first get some cash, second give money to Xi to buy school clothes, and last of all I can finally help mom at the market. After withdrawing money from the bank I hurried home to find Xi eating her breakfast.

“Here,” I said placing 80 bucks in front of her, “don’t use this on anything else. I’m only giving this to you to buy school clothes cause mom doesn’t have any money right now.”

Xi gasped and turned around, “Thanks sis!”

“You better not use this on anything else you hear?” I repeated. Xi nodded and thanked me again. “You’ll have to go shopping by yourself today and wear something thick. It’s really cold outside.”

“Yea I know,” Xi said.

“I’ll be at the market with mom then,” I said walking off.

Xi waved without turning to look at me as I exited out of the house. In a few minutes I found mom in her large sweater by her usual stall. It looked like she was getting quite some business today so I hurried over to help her.

“Thank you, have a good day!” I shouted as the last customer left.

“Thanks for coming today,” mom thanked. “Are you sure your boss will be ok without you over there?”

I nodded, “I’m pretty sure Sammy will be over there.”

“Oh right! I almost forgot!” mom declared. “I promised Ms. Li a tub of fish, but I can’t leave this stall alone.”

“I can deliver it to her then,” I offered.

“She lives on the seventh block to the right now, don’t get lost,” mom explained.

“Ok,” I then hurried off.

Our neighborhood was really confusing. There were many houses here and there all lined up like a mapped maze. It was really crowded and you’d get lost if you were new here, but I’ve lived here all my life so I wouldn’t get lost.  The seventh block was just a corner away now, but as I crossed the street the tub of fish went flying into the air as someone collided into me. The both of us fell onto the ground fast.

“Ahh!” I shrieked as I landed with a thump.

“Hurry he’s over there!” a person shouted as a bunch of footsteps hurried our way.

The person next to me quickly got up to make a run for it but I pulled him back by grabbing the sleeve of his leather jacket.

“Get me back the fishes!” I demanded. I could not go back to mom empty handed. The fishes cost a lot of money and took mom a lot of effort to get them. I could not just lose them like this.